Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2013, 09:42 AM   #76
leslie hempel
Registered Member

looks like a stunner in the making

leslie hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2013, 02:28 AM   #77
Scythanith
Premium Member

So I have narrowed it down to two pumps: 3 x RD3 80w with 0-10v controllers OR 3 x Abyzz A100. I could have the Abyzz in a week. The RD3's "possibly" sometime in October. The only catch is the 3 RD3's would cost as much as 2 A100's... But I like the idea of running the A100's controllers as they were meant to, in tandem working together. I could easily work the return plumbing to maximize what the programming could allow for.

Also, I plumbed some spa-flex between the overflow and returns and am getting a slow drip from both bulkheads on the top sump. I am going to cut out the spa-flex, grab a female/female 2" coupler and new bulkheads and remake the connection with 2" rigid. That should alleviate any weird stress on the bulkhead gasket. Any objections?

Scythanith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2013, 10:39 AM   #78
shiladitya1991
Registered Member

Great job so far. Really like the overall getup of the room.

shiladitya1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2013, 08:51 PM   #79
Scythanith
Premium Member

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Profilux 3.1N eX Ultimate set, a second 6D-PAB powerbar, mitras controller, vortech controller, some optical level sensors, and a humidity/temperature sensor and card, slave doser.

I decided to go with GHL since I have 3 Mitras already, and the programming support is there if you look for it, and the programability is endless. I want the Mitras and doser to be controlled, ATO & AWC operational, email alerts and monitoring/controllability away from the system. I want to be able to asses the system for Wendy when I am away from work!

It won't all be in until the start of October, which is ok since that's when the RD3 80w is supposed to be released. If the pumps aren't ready then I have decided to buy the Abyzz pumps, which are available now.

Unread 09/13/2013, 09:47 PM   #80
bigehugedome
Registered Member

this is amazing!

bigehugedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2013, 04:07 AM   #81
Scythanith
Premium Member

Thanks, I am looking forward to actually getting some water into the bad boy!

Unread 09/21/2013, 07:12 AM   #82
Scythanith
Premium Member

I just bought this beauty for the new tank (have I mentioned I love my LFS):

I ordered my pumps, an Abyzz A200 for the main return and an Abyzz A100 for the lower sump/manifold pump. I felt a little sick ordering them but I can't wait for the RD3 80w anymore. I have a feeling it's still a couple months away from making it to Canada.

The Abyzz sound amazing, but this will be my first encounter with them so I will do a little review once I get them here. They are controllable by the Profilux so feeding mode, thunderstorms, etc. will all have pump responses.

Cheers,
Scott

Unread 09/21/2013, 10:40 AM   #83
Scythanith
Premium Member

I messed up on the picture, this is the one I bought. My LFS says it will blue up and the base is gold.

Unread 09/21/2013, 09:12 PM   #84
Pife
Registered Member

Great build and beautiful basement. Where did you find the top hammer picture? It is amazing.

Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2013, 09:33 PM   #85
Scythanith
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Great build and beautiful basement. Where did you find the top hammer picture? It is amazing.
Thank you Pife, it's been a lot of work but we are looking forward to the day that we can just sit back and have a beer down there and watch the corals grow lol!

It's my local fish store, Bayside Corals in Saskatoon. It's from an Aussie order they just got in.

Unread 09/23/2013, 02:46 PM   #86
Scythanith
Premium Member

Soooo I just found out that I need to wire a 240v receptacle for the Abyzz a200. Not a deal breaker but an added expense. I just wanted to throw that out there so anyone that is looking for one and comes across this thread gets the heads up. Back to wiring.....

Unread 09/23/2013, 03:28 PM   #87
.Marshall
Registered Member

Beautiful!!! Subscribing!

Unread 09/23/2013, 04:15 PM   #88
steiny805
Registered Member

your basement looks awesome! def keeping that in mind for a few years from now

steiny805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2013, 05:20 PM   #89
Scythanith
Premium Member

I've been thinking more about the rockscape, and more specifically how to secure odd, off balanced structures. I think I will get my hands on some thicker pvc sheets and put rods into the base to secure the structures base to. Then in anticipation for the corals I wasn't to make a peg system to be able to move corals if need be. I know I have seen them on RC, but does anyone use them in their own tank. Any advice? What type of frag plugs do you use?

Unread 09/24/2013, 09:56 AM   #90
Scythanith
Premium Member

I've been recommended to just make everything solid and be smart with where I put my corals haahaa!

Unread 10/03/2013, 10:24 AM   #91
Scythanith
Premium Member

Sleepy plug is tired....

Now it just needs it's friend to show up!

Unread 10/03/2013, 10:27 AM   #92
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

hahaha, oh man even outlets are getting smiley faces!

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2013, 11:04 AM   #93
EMUReef
Registered Member

Haven't posted in a while on RC.. so i choose you. I love the finish of the basement! I'm a poor SOB right now and out of the SW scene until i can afford my own place and giant tank.

Nice setup and you score some nice coral from your LFS.

EMUReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2013, 11:15 AM   #94
ExtremeTang
Registered Member

Wow. Nice coral selections ESP the orange tip hammer

ExtremeTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2013, 11:58 PM   #95
Scythanith
Premium Member

Say hello to sleepy plugs little friend! Big shout out to Jean-francois at Marinetech Innovations Inc., Michael at AquaDigital and Colby at Bayside Corals for bringing it all together!

And some more goodies showed up today!

There is a crap load of sensors and wiring to do now! I am fighting with one little hiccup. One of my overflow return pipes is ~11/32" too low and ~1/8" too short. I can't just move the sump closer since the second line is in a perfect location already. I will either: a) cut out the 45 elbow and move it back ~1/2" to gain the 11/32" in height, then add the 11/32" PLUS the 1/8" I am already short OR b) cut out a couple inch section along the middle and use a soft silicone hose to join the two, hoping the hose will allow for the variation.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Last edited by Scythanith; 10/09/2013 at 12:17 AM.
Unread 10/09/2013, 08:47 PM   #96
acesq
Registered Member

sweet pump! let us know how well it puts out. will you control it with a third party controller?

Unread 10/11/2013, 09:26 PM   #97
Scythanith
Premium Member

I have purchased the profilux interface for the Abyzz pumps. I plan on tying the pumps into the system so that feeding modes, thunderstorms, water changes, water leak sensors, etc. all have an appropriate response.

I had to head back up to work today so the tank won't see love for a couple weeks. All I really have left to do is the return system plumbing. I have the overflow and drainage plumbing done.

Unread 10/12/2013, 12:00 AM   #98
Scythanith
Premium Member

Here is the plumbing and miscellaneous work I had completed before leaving for work.

I envision the Mitras ballast top left, the Vortech controllers and battery backup mid-left, and have room to spare centre and right side.

The stacked sumps. You can see the returns from the overflow going into the sump top left. I hand tightened them and still had a couple leaks. My LFS told me to use a wrench and give them all quarter turn and low and behold they are all good! You can see the abyzz A200 in the primary return chamber.

The lower sump's return manifold is done. The three bulkheads on the bottom sump are for draining the chambers and one is an open emergency drain (far left).

You may be able to just make out the lower drain plumbing. The centre and right bulkheads are on ball valves while the left is a safety to prevent overflowing in a worst case scenario.

I need to clean the 1/2" plywood up a bit more, a little white caulking, etc., but the plywood is in place to allow me to affix electronics, powerhead controls, wiring looms, power bars, really anything I want to... to the wall. The space on the right is for the reactor shelf, dosing containers, profilux, etc.

Unread 10/12/2013, 05:33 AM   #99
Sonicboom
Addicted to salt

Looks fantastic! Will water splash everywhere when you open the drain and it hits the grate?

Current Tank Info: 180 Aqueon RR / SRO3000Int / BLDC15 / TriggerSys custom Sump / AI Hydra 52 and Hydra 26
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2013, 04:53 PM   #100
Scythanith
Premium Member

The grate is just there so I don't lose plumbing fittings and tools down the drain I will be drilling a hole and extending the drain past the grate when ready.

Tags
abyzz