Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2018, 05:54 AM   #1
IUfan
Registered Member

Leveling a large tank?

Setting up a 220 gallon. The stand I think is very uneven, just wondered if there was a better way to level it. Rather than using the plastic shims? As you can see in the picture, I would need a lot of plastic shims!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 06:35 AM   #2
metasyntactic
Registered Member

Is it a stand issue or a floor issue?

metasyntactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 08:07 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A strip of wood...
Go get a 1by and rip it some as needed for the proper thickness..
Or sometimes they have strips of oak in thinner thicknesses..

Unread 06/05/2018, 09:07 AM   #4
IUfan
Registered Member

Just measured the floor and it’s pretty level, so must be a stand issue.

I found some leftover laminate wood flooring, it’s the kind that’s in planks and assembles like real hardwood. Looks to be laminated MDF.

I measured and it looks to be the perfect size, anyone see an issue with me using this?

Unread 06/05/2018, 09:27 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUfan View Post
I measured and it looks to be the perfect size, anyone see an issue with me using this?
Nope.. Use it

Unread 06/05/2018, 12:12 PM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

To be clear, make sure you are shimming between the floor and the stand.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 12:13 PM   #7
IUfan
Registered Member

Yeah, that’s what I was going to do. Thanks

Unread 06/05/2018, 12:54 PM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

The only problem with using laminate flooring as shim material is that if (when) it gets wet it's going to fall apart.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 04:28 PM   #9
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
The only problem with using laminate flooring as shim material is that if (when) it gets wet it's going to fall apart.
Yeah, MDF will swell and turn to mush when it gets wet. Some laminate type flooring is made for wet areas, is solid vinyl and pretty dense. That would work.

Easiest thing is probably a bunch of shims. If trimming the bottom of stand is an option, you could level it, scribe and trim.

Unread 06/06/2018, 08:43 AM   #10
uclamatthew
Registered Member

Is the stand wood or metal? Consider just shaving the 1/4" (or whatever you need) off the high side leg(s)?

Unread 06/07/2018, 07:25 PM   #11
IUfan
Registered Member

Took in what everyone said about the laminate floor as a shim. Was in Home Depot today and found PVC siding that is pretty much the perfect thickness.

Check it out, look good to you all, and is this level enough do you think?

Is this gap on the sides okay? Maybe I can buy the plastic shims and fill in the voids right here?

Unread 06/07/2018, 08:11 PM   #12
Lsufan
Registered Member

To finish getting it level now u can shim between the pvc sheet u put down & the stand. I would fill in the voids with shims. At the very least u want the stand to be touching anywhere the stand has a support. So the four corners & if it has a center support u want a shim under the support. Then u can come back & add a couple shims inbetween if they are needed.

When I place a tank on carpet I find it to be easiest to place a piece of plywood the same dimensions as the stand down first, then set the stand on top of the plywood. It seems to make it easier to level & to place the shims to get it right.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 09:03 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I think I'd be wanting to know why if the floor is level the stand is not. If the stand is out of square, why? Crap shimmed is still crap.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 07:49 AM   #14
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Crap shimmed is still crap.
When you use the word "crap" of course..
But something "out of level" made "level" by the use of shims does not make it "out of level" still and does not make it "crap".. It was just something that required adjustment.. Everything has tolerances,etc... too..
Floors bowing, buildings sagging,etc... is very common and does not equal "crap".. Thats just life and the reason shims were invented basically..
No home/floor,etc... is perfectly level and if it is now there is no guarantee its going to stay level for the life of it..

"Life is about adjustments" (That should be printed on every package of shims)

Unread 06/08/2018, 08:14 AM   #15
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Carpeting will compress significantly with weight.
Personally I would shim it, fill about 1/2 way with fresh water & check again.

Unread 06/08/2018, 08:47 AM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
But something "out of level" made "level" by the use of shims does not make it "out of level" still and does not make it "crap".. It was just something that required adjustment.
Of course; however, if my floor was level but a stand placed on that level floor were not level at the top .... I'd want to know why and whether that stand were indeed 'crap'.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 01:34 PM   #17
Lsufan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Of course; however, if my floor was level but a stand placed on that level floor were not level at the top .... I'd want to know why and whether that stand were indeed 'crap'.
I would have to guess that the floor isn’t level. I’m not sure how he went about determining the floor was level, but it would be hard to determine with carpet until u placed the stand. He did say the floor was level, so it’s a bunch of assumptions on my part.

I agree with what u are saying. If the floor is level but the stand is not then the stand has to be twisted, which isn’t good at all. If the tank is in contact with the stand around the entire perimeter then I wouldn’t worry.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 01:49 PM   #18
saveafish
Registered Member

It's work but worth it. Tank that size is not so good to have on carpet. The carpet and pad under it will settle as its smashed down. Like moving a couch after its been there a while it leaves squishy marks. If you can take up the carpet and tile under it. 75g you can get away with it. 220 no. Your bumping 400lbs empty 1600lbs water. That's 2000lbs there. Than rock sump. Do it right. Or you might as well shim with nerf balls.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 04:18 PM   #19
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

I've got a 75 that's about an inch lower on one corner than the opposite. Pretty sure it's the floor, but it doesn't bother me much.

IMO I agree to get rid of carpet under the tank. If you ever move the tank you'll have to do that anyways.

You could modify the stand too.

HarrisonMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 04:39 PM   #20
IUfan
Registered Member

Hi All, I used the PVC trim piece and got it level, I’m happy that this is sufficient.

Removing the carpet was an absolute no can do, wife would have literally chopped my balls off I think. In my old house I had a 180 setup for 5 years on carpet and after moving the tank out, the creases from where the tanks stood came out within a week FYI.

Unread 06/08/2018, 04:52 PM   #21
saveafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUfan View Post

Removing the carpet was an absolute no can do, wife would have literally chopped my balls off I think.

Guys has lost their balls for far less.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 06:56 AM   #22
Steve175
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Carpeting will compress significantly with weight.
Personally I would shim it, fill about 1/2 way with fresh water & check again.
This is salient advice. . . repeat. . . salient advice. I did not do this, hired an engineer and contractor to reinforce the floor, shimmed like you, have thick carpet, and have a 250G that leans 0.6" forward and to the left (it turns out the carpet along the walls does not compress as much. . . whodda thunk?). I tore out the ceiling in the level below to [thankfully] confirm that it was solely due to the carpet. F\In your case: Fill it with FW and readjust your shims and or PVC strip thickness based on that. . . then come to my house, drain $10K of livestock and coral and do the same please. . .

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote