Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2019, 08:08 PM   #1
alazo1
Premium Member

Help with external coast to coast / acrylic tank

I have a 120 acrylic tank. (48x24x24). Tank will be in wall.
I recently removed the two corner overflows. I have a lot of gouges from the grinder but will skin the inside of the back and sides with 1/8" black acrylic sheets.

Wondering what you folks think of doing a total external overflow.
I was thinking of cutting a slit (straight line) across most of the back wall and making a box in the back.

Questions:
How far from the top should it be and how wide should it be?

I don't have a router but always wanted one. Any recommendations, also what bit?.

Is this doable?. I suppose if it doesn't work I'll be skinning with the black acrylic to cover it.

The first pic has a black line that signifies the cut.
The second pic is just so that you can see the butcher job I did to remove the overflows..LOL

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edit_165.jpg (40.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Edit_164.jpg (50.8 KB, 21 views)
alazo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2019, 08:27 PM   #2
alazo1
Premium Member

I forgot to mention, this is 1/2" material.

Unread 08/20/2019, 09:01 PM   #3
badbreath
Registered Member

This sound like a nightmare to me. Cutting acrylic is not as easy as it sounds. Why did you take out the corner over flows?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

badbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2019, 09:19 PM   #4
Goober06
Registered Member

I would leave the back alone and maybe go with a ghost overflow. You'll only have to drill out 2 holes for 1.5 bulkheads and your tank will be more structurally sound. Also instead of skinning it. You can you krylon fusion spray paint and save yourself alot of time and hassle. As far as the bottom holes, get a piece of 3x3 acrylic and some Weldon and glue it to the corners. Not sure where you're located but if your anywhere near the ie (socal) I have all the stuff you'll need and can help

Goober06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2019, 11:28 PM   #5
alazo1
Premium Member

Badbreath, I took out the corner overflows so that I can have more space inside the tank. Yeah, I guess I'll go with a regular overflow / low profile instead of attempting this.

Goober, the gouges are on the inside. I don't think I would risk paint. Also, I plan on putting a 1/4" sheet of starboard on the bottom.

Unread 08/21/2019, 04:47 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Blah... Cutting acrylic like that is rather easy... A simple 3/8" straight bit and good to go.. You can drill a starter hole in one end to plunge the bit into and use a level or other straight edge to give the router something to follow..

You don't need to go through the whole depth in one pass. Half each time is fine..

Height from the top depends on where you want the water level to be.. I'd likely leave around an inch of acrylic above the slot..

Unread 08/21/2019, 04:53 AM   #7
Sharpimage
Registered Member

Cutting the acrylic is the easy part. Making the box and using solvent to the tank is the hard part, at least for me. I don't know anyone that makes a box that isn't custom order. Overflows are easily found.

Sharpimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2019, 10:07 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes...getting a bubble free joint in clear/transparent acrylic requires decent practice/skill..

Unread 08/27/2019, 02:48 AM   #9
laverda
Registered Member

I would make in to 3 long slots with 3/4-1” between them to help maintain structural integrity of the tank. Use a router with an edge guide. I would make several shallow passes, otherwise the router is likely to wonder on you.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote