Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Slow responses re: tank quotes

I’m having the experience that with the four or five places I’ve asked for quotes on a 300 gallon custom tank that I’m getting pretty cool/apathetic responses. Two I’ve visited in person (local shops) and three have been on line request. Two have said they’d get me quotes by a date and have not. The two that did just sent me a $ amount with a vague list of features and no sketch or questions - and then got really slow answering any follow up questions or getting me actual diagrams. One simply has not responded to my email at all.

My question (NOT vendor experiences) - is this normal and I just need to push this through and stay on top of it? Or is this bad customer service that predicts a poor outcome down the line and I should keep looking elsewhere?

Is there something I need to be saying to show I’m a serious buyer? I’m telling folks I know this will be expensive and that I’m motivated.

Unread 02/03/2019, 09:36 AM   #2
lapin
Registered Member

I had good luck here with local LFS getting quotes back. I did ask who they used. On-line quotes were about a 20% response. Places like AGE will recommend where to get a quote.
After getting quotes, I decided to make my own tank. For 1/3 the price I figured if I messed up the first one i was still way ahead.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 11:03 AM   #3
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Interesting. Did you source the glass from a local glass source then?

Unread 02/03/2019, 12:16 PM   #4
elFloyd
Registered Member

I've asked for three quotes within the past two weeks. One responded that I should receive quote in 15 days... one said as soon as 'manufacturing' reviews the request... and one no response.

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Ok. So pretty normal then. Patience and perseverance then. Thanks!

Unread 02/03/2019, 07:32 PM   #6
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Reef View Post
Interesting. Did you source the glass from a local glass source then?
Its acrylic. Yes we have 3 local national suppliers. Glass would have been to heavy for me to work with by myself.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 05:53 PM   #7
Tyrenlds
Premium Member

I'm shopping right now and have been getting cold/delayed responses as well. This thread makes me feel better knowing that at least it isn't personal.

Tyrenlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 05:59 PM   #8
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Yeah. I’m finding I just have to drive the bus on the sale. It’s strange for a $3-5k purchase. Seems like there’s a front end sales opportunity there for an innovating company.

Unread 02/08/2019, 06:42 PM   #9
Khiyasu
Registered Member

Concept Aquariums in Calgary, AB Canada is the best in terms of getting back to you. Have only heard good things about their builds too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khiyasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 03:11 PM   #10
748S911
Registered Member

Miracles in canada..... they have amazing customer service with great pricing. response time is super fast.

748S911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 03:19 PM   #11
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I’ve had good luck with Custom Aquariums here in Wisconsin I’m having a tank being made currently with a 8 week lead time. Not bad in my experience.

Unread 02/19/2019, 12:41 PM   #12
fftfk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
I’ve had good luck with Custom Aquariums here in Wisconsin I’m having a tank being made currently with a 8 week lead time. Not bad in my experience.

8 weeks? I’m currently going on 3 months!

fftfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 05:11 PM   #13
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
8 weeks? I’m currently going on 3 months!

Perhaps they have backed up...not sure. I know some places are 6 months. Just giving my experience with them.

Unread 02/19/2019, 05:16 PM   #14
fftfk
Registered Member

My post was poorly written. I meant a different tank builder. Sorry about that.

fftfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 05:55 PM   #15
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
My post was poorly written. I meant a different tank builder. Sorry about that.

No problem. I have found in this industry things can change dramatically in a short period of time. I’ve had personal experiences with vendors that have been highly rated only to find out they skipped town after I started to have issues. It happens and I wouldn’t want others to fall victim! Glad to hear it’s someone else!

Unread 02/20/2019, 09:07 AM   #16
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

I work in a field where I outsource a lot of work in a lot of very different fields. There are some industries that are terrible about being prompt to both RFQ and getting work done on time. There are others where quotes are responded to quickly. lt seems like a industry by industry thing.

Unread 02/20/2019, 09:28 AM   #17
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

I’m continuing to kinda plow through it. It’s going at the pace I can manage for now. I’m getting feedback from a LFS and that’s helping with decision making - but I’m still kinda baffled that in the Internet age there isn’t a more streamlined approach. But maybe it’s the custom tank customers that like to design their creations? Anyway. Things are progressing, super slow, but that’s ok with me if it just “is what it is”.

Unread 02/20/2019, 03:36 PM   #18
tom obrecht
Registered Member

As a former Omaha resident I’d be happy to help if possible. I’ve had numerous custom aquariums made in the past 25 years in the hobby and I will be glad to help a fellow Husker! PM if you need more info.

Unread 03/06/2019, 08:46 PM   #19
jubei2006
Registered Member

Just recently completed a build with James Steele from Envision acrylics in Oregon. He was great to work with and responded within a few days by email in the beginning. Was faster with email and calls during the build. He worked with my rough sketch to build a beautiful 525 gallon 4 side viewable central overflow tank, not finished yet but the build will appear as cycling is finished and stocking is beginning. Got it to me across country ahead of schedule in about 6 weeks. Had contacted coast to coast for a glass tank, and it took a day or two for them to get back, but they were very professional from our conversation as well.

jubei2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2019, 09:05 AM   #20
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei2006 View Post
Just recently completed a build with James Steele from Envision acrylics in Oregon. He was great to work with and responded within a few days by email in the beginning. Was faster with email and calls during the build. He worked with my rough sketch to build a beautiful 525 gallon 4 side viewable central overflow tank, not finished yet but the build will appear as cycling is finished and stocking is beginning. Got it to me across country ahead of schedule in about 6 weeks. Had contacted coast to coast for a glass tank, and it took a day or two for them to get back, but they were very professional from our conversation as well.
+1 he built my 625g and would highly recommend

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2019, 09:31 AM   #21
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post

There pretty good.

I do not own one but allot of people do around here do and they are great tanks.

I had a quote from them recently and it was pretty fast.

I think they not have an online calculator too that is pretty close.

Unread 03/21/2019, 06:42 AM   #22
nightOwl
Premium Member

I just ran across your thread...Check out Miracles in Canada. Great customer service and prices were very competitive. When I was looking for my custom tank I had a few places that had the slow response and like you said crappy responses. Here's my take on it. I know the companies are busy but that's not my problem. I understand they get tons of requests for tank quotes from people that will never buy the tank or are just fishing for the cheapest quote...again not my problem. Depending on how detailed you were in your request it may have had some bearing on their answer but regardless you should have received some sort of response that made you feel you were customer number one. Custom tanks are expensive and there a few companies that feel based on their reputation customer service can suffer. After talking to about 4 different companies I choose Miracles. There customer service, fast responses, and making feel like I was important is what lead me to having them build my dream Tank and Frag tank. After all you are going to be forking over thousands of dollars...better to feel like you getting dinner and movie besides just getting screwed...lol.

Unread 03/21/2019, 09:55 PM   #23
Bary
Registered Member

For custom glass, ReefSavvy is my choice! Helpful beyond imagination.

Bary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2019, 05:56 AM   #24
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

So Im about to put out an order Im seeing the following companies being recommended.

conceptaquariums.ca

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/

https://www.customaquariums.com/

http://www.reefsavvy.com/

Any others I should reach out to for a glass tank and metal stand?

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2019, 07:38 AM   #25
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

You can try acrylic and glass exhibitions (AGE)

Or Planet Aquariums.