Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2018, 01:32 PM   #1
Scubabum
Registered Member

When to pull a Dying Clam

I purchased a Maxima clam a few weeks back and noticed a small tear in the mantle after owning it a few days. Here is the thread I posted. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2676841 The clam now has 3 tears and the Incurrent siphon is slightly gaping The clam is still opening everyday and is responding to light. I don't know a clams anatomy but when looking down from the top, through the center tear, there appears to be color like another mantle. This is my first clam and i'm pretty sure it will not survive. I'm not sure if I should pull it out or if there is a possibility it will heal itself and survive. Looking for advice. Below is a picture of the tears in the mantle and how the clam looks today.

Scubabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

It’s showing good color, I’d leave it be and watch it.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Scubabum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
It’s showing good color, I’d leave it be and watch it.
Thanks, Its pretty beat up but still opening and responding to light. Gonna watch it close. Still don't know what could be causing this. Wrasse or some type of bacterial infection. Guess there's not much else I can do but watch it.

Unread 06/17/2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Epmar
Registered Member

Is it hard to keep clams? I'm only a yr into the saltwater hobby but obsessed with the appearance of clams. I'm just nervous of it not thriving.

Epmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Scubabum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epmar View Post
Is it hard to keep clams? I'm only a yr into the saltwater hobby but obsessed with the appearance of clams. I'm just nervous of it not thriving.
I chose a larger Clam as they really only need high light and low to moderate flow. Smaller clams require feeding. Mine is still hangin in there. Not sure what caused the tears. Hopefully it will recover.

Unread 06/21/2018, 08:41 AM   #6
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epmar View Post
I would consider myself to be similar to you in experience. I got a "Crocea Clam" -- which is considered the more difficult type.

These are my thoughts now having one for 4 months:

1.) Absolutely likes low flow or it will move itself away
2.) Place on a nice porous flat rock so it can embed its foot
3.) Light, light, light, as much as possible
4.) Try to place as high in the tank as possible to maximize light (I only have a AI Prime HD)
5.) Squirt some phytoplankton in the tank as supplemental feeding.

My clam is doing well, when it closes I can see new white shell growing on its edges which is a sign it is growing.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Sam2832
Registered Member

When you have a goner the mantle will detatch from the shell, before that hope for the best!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:56 AM   #8
Scubabum
Registered Member

Hey everyone. I've seen some responses on this post so here is a little update. This morning the largest tear seems to be healing. Can see some clear tissue closing the tear. Clam still not opening fully but responding well to light and still opening daily. Fingers crossed.