Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2017, 12:24 AM   #26
malx
Registered Member

So update here. My maxima is either not feeling well or just tired from spawning. His mantle is fully extended but his mouth is fairly opens. I’ve seen it open this much before so maybe he is just liking something in the water, and he responds if I tap his shell with the feeding stick and will retract his mantle and close It if I continue to do it, but I’m concerned that he’s not closing at night.

Anyone have this experience? I did a 15% water change this morning as a precaution. Might do another tomorrow if no one has any other ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 10:00 AM   #27
malx
Registered Member

About to lose the maxima. . He’s retracting the same way the other 2 did.

Only one clam left. All SPS is fine and snowing full PE.

I really think this most recent clam I added brought in some kind of clam disease.

Unread 12/04/2017, 10:13 AM   #28
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

It seems to me that you are not a newbie for clams, your doing all the right things that I can see. The snails are not a good thing.....the base should be clean......the foot should be clean....and once attached to the rock, you cannot move it without damaging it.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 10:17 AM   #29
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Keep in mind that clams under three inches do not usually do well.

Unread 12/04/2017, 12:00 PM   #30
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
It seems to me that you are not a newbie for clams, your doing all the right things that I can see. The snails are not a good thing.....the base should be clean......the foot should be clean....and once attached to the rock, you cannot move it without damaging it.
Normally, I'd agree with you but I think we are all newbies for clams since they are very complex animals. But I do feel that I have enough experience with clams to know that the position of the mantle of the Maxima in the photo I shared is not normal and it's on a death course. And since I've lost others in the past few weeks, something is up and it has to be pest or disease related since my acros are fine. I have some tough to keep acros too including a Pink Floyd which is super hairy!

So in terms of snails, I thought that only pyramid snails are the issue. These are baby nerite snails. I've had these snails in my tank like this for at least a year when they started breeding. Never caused issues but who knows.

I did a 15% water change today and yesterday to see if I can kick it into recovery in case there is some missing element in my tank. I don't believe so since I professionally test my tank every 60 days, and also tested my new saltwater which puts in ideal levels of Ca and Mg, and alk around 8.6 dkh tested three times and averaged with a calibrated Hanna checker.

Interesting comment about size of the clam. Trying to work a deal out with the guy who sold me them. I'll look for bigger ones.

Question is, in your opinion, how big is the threshold? Would you say to look for clams over 5"? I just picked a random number.

Cheers,
Joey

Unread 12/04/2017, 12:32 PM   #31
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

From my perspective, I do not like anything attached to my clams especially the bottom where to byssal gland is.....I worry that they bother the gland which is vital. Maybe I worry to much, but I feel better when they are clean. I have no trouble in finding clean ones I leave the others. The maxis love light so mine is located on the top of my LR...say 12 inches from the 165W LED. I feed the 70g tank with 10ml of phyto twice a week.
Many reefers who keep clams suggest 3" - 6" which ensures it is mature.

Unread 12/04/2017, 12:39 PM   #32
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malx View Post
Normally, I'd agree with you but I think we are all newbies for clams since they are very complex animals. But I do feel that I have enough experience with clams to know that the position of the mantle of the Maxima in the photo I shared is not normal and it's on a death course. And since I've lost others in the past few weeks, something is up and it has to be pest or disease related since my acros are fine. I have some tough to keep acros too including a Pink Floyd which is super hairy!

So in terms of snails, I thought that only pyramid snails are the issue. These are baby nerite snails. I've had these snails in my tank like this for at least a year when they started breeding. Never caused issues but who knows.

I did a 15% water change today and yesterday to see if I can kick it into recovery in case there is some missing element in my tank. I don't believe so since I professionally test my tank every 60 days, and also tested my new saltwater which puts in ideal levels of Ca and Mg, and alk around 8.6 dkh tested three times and averaged with a calibrated Hanna checker.

Interesting comment about size of the clam. Trying to work a deal out with the guy who sold me them. I'll look for bigger ones.

Question is, in your opinion, how big is the threshold? Would you say to look for clams over 5"? I just picked a random number.

Cheers,
Joey

I agree with you. Non parasitic snails should not be a problem. I also have tons of snails that sleep under my derasa clam during the day. Some of my larger astrea snails that dont fit under the clam stick to the very edge of the shell. Clam's mantle extends over them to the point that they are not visible. Clam doesn't seem to be irritated by the snails. Plus they keep the clams shell free of algae, which is important because algae irritates clams more.

About the size, small clams dont have enough zooxanthellae to sustain themselves completely by photosynthesis. In nature the filter feed to supplement themselves but in tanks that is rarely an option. I think a 3 inch clam is large enough to sustain itself.

About the clams you have shown, one potential issue I saw is the very little new shell growth. It might also be die to the light bit I am seeing very little white new shell growth around the edges. My clams have close to 1/4 to 1/2 inches of bone white new shell around the edges. I can post a picture when I go to the home.

If there is no growth, it indicates clam is not getting enough nutrient or it is stressed. When you buy a new clam. always check for the new growth. If there is growth, it indicates the clam is in good shape.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 12:43 PM   #33
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
I agree with you. Non parasitic snails should not be a problem. I also have tons of snails that sleep under my derasa clam during the day. Some of my larger astrea snails that dont fit under the clam stick to the very edge of the shell. Clam's mantle extends over them to the point that they are not visible. Clam doesn't seem to be irritated by the snails. Plus they keep the clams shell free of algae, which is important because algae irritates clams more.

About the size, small clams dont have enough zooxanthellae to sustain themselves completely by photosynthesis. In nature the filter feed to supplement themselves but in tanks that is rarely an option. I think a 3 inch clam is large enough to sustain itself.

About the clams you have shown, one potential issue I saw is the very little new shell growth. It might also be die to the light bit I am seeing very little white new shell growth around the edges. My clams have close to 1/4 to 1/2 inches of bone white new shell around the edges. I can post a picture when I go to the home.

If there is no growth, it indicates clam is not getting enough nutrient or it is stressed. When you buy a new clam. always check for the new growth. If there is growth, it indicates the clam is in good shape.
Thanks for the tips. The maxima had a lot of new shell growth actually. It's just covered up by a floppy mantle. I'm at work now, going to head home around lunch to check the system, I'm willing to bet the Maxima is fully retracted then I'm going to remove him and check for worms and parasites.

It's weird, the Maxima was in the same spot for about a year, then right after the superblue died (the most recent one I got) he started moving around for about a week or two like he wasn't happy anymore. Water tests show up fine but I'm also doing an ICP test tomorrow in case it's something else.

I doubt it though.

My derasa has some new shell growth too but not as much as I'd like. Will monitor him closely as well.

It's just weird to me that I'd have two clams in my tank with 0 issues and then one week the whole population takes a hit.

Unread 12/04/2017, 01:45 PM   #34
malx
Registered Member

Just went home to check on the maxima. Still alive but not doing well at all. I don’t see any parasites or worms around his mantle and he’s still attached to the rock. Maybe he can bounce back. Doubtful.

In other news the derasa looks to be ok but who knows, maybe he’s on borrowed time

Unread 12/04/2017, 01:55 PM   #35
Tripod1404
Registered Member

You probably already saw this, but there is this article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/aafeature1

Unread 12/04/2017, 03:03 PM   #36
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
You probably already saw this, but there is this article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/aafeature1
Yep I read that and ruled out as much as I could conclude with out hunching its a kind of disease. "Mysterious" is for sure!

Unread 12/04/2017, 08:39 PM   #37
malx
Registered Member

Pic of my derasa clam syphon. Looks closed up. The last clam standing. Wouldn’t be surprised if I lose him too and like magic, two weeks and my entire clam population wiped out.

Fml

Unread 12/05/2017, 01:56 AM   #38
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malx View Post
Pic of my derasa clam syphon. Looks closed up. The last clam standing. Wouldn’t be surprised if I lose him too and like magic, two weeks and my entire clam population wiped out.

Fml

I have never seen a clams syphon to close up like that. Maybe the clown touched it and that caused it temporarily close.

Here is the picture of my daresa clams growing shell I was talking about. Sorry about the dark blue picture. I was waiting for the clam to close up to take a picture and that happens with moon lights.

Unread 12/05/2017, 01:57 AM   #39
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
I have never seen a clams syphon to close up like that. Maybe the clown touched it and that caused it temporarily close.

Here is the picture of my daresa clams growing shell I was talking about. Sorry about the dark blue picture. I was waiting for the clam to close up to take a picture and that happens with moon lights.

Yeah looks good. Let’s see what happens over the next few days. You’re right I have much smaller new growth.

Unread 12/05/2017, 02:00 AM   #40
Tripod1404
Registered Member

If you don’t have nitrate issues, you might try doing amino acids. Mine seem to benefit from daily amino acid dosing.

Unread 12/05/2017, 08:01 AM   #41
Jazeel55
Registered Member

Those big maxima that those LFS sell never live.

Jazeel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 08:14 AM   #42
BlueMoods
Registered Member

Look up the stuff by 369AUGold here, he has some very large, very healthy clams. Or give his shop a call - Marine World in Hot Springs, AR. USA he is very good with clams. he will explain the things you should dose and why for them.

BlueMoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 11:32 AM   #43
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
If you don’t have nitrate issues, you might try doing amino acids. Mine seem to benefit from daily amino acid dosing.

I dose Amino's, Coral Vitalizer every day and Sponge Power from KZ every day. I don't think it's a nutrient issue. I run ICP tests (and I'm doing another one tomorrow) and these clams were alive when my phosphates were near 0. They are around .03 now.

Unread 12/05/2017, 11:35 AM   #44
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazeel55 View Post
Those big maxima that those LFS sell never live.

Interesting comment. In your opinion what large clams do better long term? Gigas, Squamosa, Derasa etc?

Unread 12/05/2017, 11:55 AM   #45
Jazeel55
Registered Member

The large wild caught maxima normally die. Dersaaa squmosa do Great. Gig as you won’t get they aren’t available

Unread 12/05/2017, 11:57 AM   #46
Jazeel55
Registered Member

My clam garden

Unread 12/05/2017, 12:59 PM   #47
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazeel55 View Post

My clam garden

Looks good! How long have you had them!?

Unread 12/05/2017, 01:11 PM   #48
Jazeel55
Registered Member

The biggest about 2 year it started off at 3inch now it’s about 6 inches the other two 1 year the 6 months.

Unread 12/05/2017, 01:13 PM   #49
Jazeel55
Registered Member

I got this one at .75 inch. Now it’s two.

Unread 12/05/2017, 01:55 PM   #50
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

I do not mean to high jack this thread but I do have a question. I just recently got a smallish maxima clam (maybe 3") and am new to keeping them. What am I looking for here that shows your clams are dying? Is it the filter part or the mantle? Mine seems to be healthy so far it opens and closes with light and I always notice a little filter piece poking out. The mouth tends to be open when the clam is open during the day.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote