Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2017, 05:56 PM   #276
Misled
RC Mod

The what???

Unread 12/04/2017, 07:19 PM   #277
NS Mike D
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
The what???

The PS is like Finnegan's Wake.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 07:51 AM   #278
Subsea
Registered Member

Actually, “I got stoned and I missed it”.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 11:58 AM   #279
redlobstor
Registered Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4333771/

This a interesting paper in part about a relationship between bacteria and the macro algae Ulva.

Jason

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon mixed reef. Fish are a powder blue tang and a lightning filefish. Smokeless with some macros growing in the sump.
redlobstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 01:49 PM   #280
Subsea
Registered Member

Yes, some macro ingest bacteria.

http://open.uct.ac.za/handle/11427/6175
I like this article that shows a co-culture of abalone and Ulva.

Unread 12/06/2017, 08:51 AM   #281
Subsea
Registered Member

Red Macro

Because of the demise of two Tangs in one week, I now have the opportunity to add some decorative macro to 75G Jaubert Plenum.

In the case of some of the Red Grapes that have photoadapted to higher light, I will bring them into this tank. I also will add some more Dragon’s Tongue, Halymenia digitata, which will be in a tumble culture in two days.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.8 KB, 21 views)

Unread 12/06/2017, 08:55 AM   #282
Subsea
Registered Member

Lights on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.7 KB, 31 views)

Unread 12/07/2017, 03:01 PM   #283
redlobstor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
Yes, some macro ingest bacteria.

http://open.uct.ac.za/handle/11427/6175
I like this article that shows a co-culture of abalone and Ulva.
I like this article thanks for posting. In this study it seems 12-20x tank volume is the ideal turnover rate for this species and what I find interesting is that ammonium was removed at roughly the same rate, lights on and lights off.

Jason

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon mixed reef. Fish are a powder blue tang and a lightning filefish. Smokeless with some macros growing in the sump.
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:31 PM   #284
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlobstor View Post
I like this article thanks for posting. In this study it seems 12-20x tank volume is the ideal turnover rate for this species and what I find interesting is that ammonium was removed at roughly the same rate, lights on and lights off.

Jason

Take note:- the 12 - 20 tank turn over rate was per day, not per hour.

Also, in regards to the algaes removal of NH4 during the day & night cycle, the difference in removal percentages between the two identified abalone farms; Danger Point and Jacobsbaai, indicates there may be other factors involved. Perhaps bacteria played a significant role?
In any case, a mechanism where-by algae takes up NH4 during darkness must be identified.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 07:04 PM   #285
redlobstor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
Take note:- the 12 - 20 tank turn over rate was per day, not per hour.

Also, in regards to the algaes removal of NH4 during the day & night cycle, the difference in removal percentages between the two identified abalone farms; Danger Point and Jacobsbaai, indicates there may be other factors involved. Perhaps bacteria played a significant role?
In any case, a mechanism where-by algae takes up NH4 during darkness must be identified.
Thank you Twinfallz for the correction. Its what happens when one reads too fast.

Yes the percentages were different for each farm but they were consistent from day and night for each, if that makes sense.

Jason

Unread 12/07/2017, 08:07 PM   #286
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Thank you Twinfallz for the correction. Its what happens when one reads too fast.

Yes the percentages were different for each farm but they were consistent from day and night for each, if that makes sense.

Jason

I run a scrubber that grows a species of ulva, so i was interested in the observation that ammonium uptake occured during darkness.

Found this -
Ulva efficiently removed up to 85% of the ammonium from fish pond wastewater in darkness or light independently of temperature fluctuations. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02180927

&

"A preference for amrnonium over nitrate has also been observed in other subinerged macro-phytes, such as Ceratophyllum demersum (Toetz,1971) and Myriophyllum spicatum (Nichols &Keeney, 1976b). In C demersum, nitrate uptake has been found to correlate with light intensity,practically ceasing in the dark, while ammonium uptake was continuous and decreased only slight-ly at night (Toetz, 1971)"

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 10:58 PM   #287
jaking
Registered Member

I spent like an hour reading this post... Very interesting stuff!

jaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:37 PM   #288
Subsea
Registered Member

With respect to Ulva, the fact that it can be grown in brackish water was of special interest to me. An indoor shrimp farm just south of San Antoine wanted to use Ulva to clean culture water after harvest. Because Gulf shrimp grow in brackish water, Ulva was the perfect macro for nutrient export.

Unread 12/08/2017, 08:26 AM   #289
redlobstor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
I run a scrubber that grows a species of ulva, so i was interested in the observation that ammonium uptake occured during darkness.

Found this -
Ulva efficiently removed up to 85% of the ammonium from fish pond wastewater in darkness or light independently of temperature fluctuations. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02180927

&

"A preference for amrnonium over nitrate has also been observed in other subinerged macro-phytes, such as Ceratophyllum demersum (Toetz,1971) and Myriophyllum spicatum (Nichols &Keeney, 1976b). In C demersum, nitrate uptake has been found to correlate with light intensity,practically ceasing in the dark, while ammonium uptake was continuous and decreased only slight-ly at night (Toetz, 1971)"
According to this article Ulva and possibly other macros uptake ammonium and not nitrate at night as nitrate uptake is dependent on light intensity.

This has me wondering if we should dose something like ammonium chloride at night to help speed up growth and in theory the algae would grow 24/7 and not just with lights on.

I also wonder how uptake of ammonium and the subsequent growth at night affects the ph of the system. I realize that ph is driven by photosynthesis and respiration of the macro, I know this is more complicated than this I'm just making a point, but considering we know nothing about the mechanisms at play who knows.

Jason

Unread 12/08/2017, 09:20 AM   #290
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
According to this article Ulva and possibly other macros uptake ammonium and not nitrate at night as nitrate uptake is dependent on light intensity.

This has me wondering if we should dose something like ammonium chloride at night to help speed up growth and in theory the algae would grow 24/7 and not just with lights on.

I also wonder how uptake of ammonium and the subsequent growth at night affects the ph of the system. I realize that ph is driven by photosynthesis and respiration of the macro, I know this is more complicated than this I'm just making a point, but considering we know nothing about the mechanisms at play who knows.

Jason

Jason,
I would not say, we know nothing about the mechanisms at play. You have identified part of the chemistry at play. When you adjust pH in a marine system, the alkalinity of the water acts as a buffer to resist pH change. It is for that reason that aroggonite substrate is a cornerstone of natural filtration. So, instead of only biological filtration we have automatic buffering and trace mineral addition.

Unread 12/08/2017, 09:21 AM   #291
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaking View Post
I spent like an hour reading this post... Very interesting stuff!
Welcome aboard.

Unread 12/08/2017, 09:35 AM   #292
Subsea
Registered Member

Smokeless Sump

Quote:

Jason

Jason,
What could you smoke in your sump? Tuna Fish.

I have a true joke from having worked in “Blue Water for 35 years. After a difficult 6 month shipyard overhaul, when we went back to the deep water, a welding foreman came out with ship. Being in tuna feeding grounds, we fished every evening on the bow of the ship. Many crew members went to this deck just to enjoy the view and fresh air. It became somewhat of a hangout after a 12 hour workday.

One evening, while fishing, I missed landing a yellow fin that I had fought for 30 minutes. My friend looked at me and said for 20 people to hear,

“You can “tune a piano”, but you can’t “tune a fish”.

Last edited by Subsea; 12/08/2017 at 09:47 AM.
Unread 12/08/2017, 09:42 AM   #293
redlobstor
Registered Member

Quote:
What could you smoke in your sump? Tuna Fish.
I have a true joke from having worked in “Blue Water for 35 years. After a difficult 6 month shipyard overhaul, when we went back to the deep water, a welding foreman came out with ship. Being in tuna feeding grounds, we fished every evening on the bow of the ship. Many crew members went to this deck just to enjoy the view and fresh air. It became somewhat of a hangout after a 12 hour workday.

One evening, while fishing, I missed landing a yellow fin that I had fought for 30 minutes. My friend looked at me and said for 20 people to hear,

Thanks for the joke

Unread 12/08/2017, 11:36 AM   #294
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:

Should have told you to "Roll With the Changes".

Unread 12/08/2017, 01:55 PM   #295
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I finally caught up on this thread...trying to catch up on too many at once, LOL. Great read. BTW, your tank looks great!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 07:41 PM   #296
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I finally caught up on this thread...trying to catch up on too many at once, LOL. Great read. BTW, your tank looks great!
Thanks. This morning, I got up with the sun to check out my outside growout. Temperature all day yesterday was in the thirty’s with a low of 28 this morning.

With 900W of heat input water temperature of 400G was 60 degrees. I have got to cover tanks on these cold nights.