Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Antegon
Registered Member

Custom 29g sump plans for your approval

Here’s where I’m at so far on this build. It’s a 30x18x12 29g that I’ve had forever and am finally putting to better use.
Let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 04:54 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Before putting in all that work building I suggest you check the size specs of the skimmer and return pump you have chosen. Second check the recommended water depth for the skimmer before setting the baffle height.

Another consideration is to switch the refugium and return pump sections. Essentially dirty water will go through all filtration (sock, mechanical & organic) before being returned to the DT.

You're on the right track either way. Thumbs up.

Unread 03/13/2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Before putting in all that work building I suggest you check the size specs of the skimmer and return pump you have chosen. Second check the recommended water depth for the skimmer before setting the baffle height.

Another consideration is to switch the refugium and return pump sections. Essentially dirty water will go through all filtration (sock, mechanical & organic) before being returned to the DT.

You're on the right track either way. Thumbs up.

Thanks! The return pump I feel good about in relation to the dimensions. The skimmer is the issue. It’s a heavily modded frankenskimmer made up of a seaclone 150 and CPRbakpak running off of a combo of a rio 600, Mj 1200, and airstone pump haha. (Don’t judge me, i think it’s going to work! I’ll def be sharing that part of the build at some point. And I have a back up budget to upgrade it once the lights have been done right if it fails me. Just have to try when it comes to DIY)
I think it’s going to fit, as some of it will hang out over the side, however you are totally spot on, I need to check the baffle height to make sure the rio will sit where it needs to. I can hopefully edit this or create a stand for it.

Fuge placement - I have heard great points on both sides. All water getting filtered vs. controlled, slower fuge flow to get the water time to filter more or whatever. I appreciate hearing your point, still v on the fence on whether to switch or not.

Unread 03/19/2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Antegon
Registered Member

After a lot of thought, I want to remove the sock chamber on the intake, and shrink the return section for more room in the skimmer section. I want the room for skimmer upgrades and reactors.
Two questions - is shrinking the return section going to negatively effect anything other than the needed top-off rate? And is it commonly successful to use the first baffle for mechanical filtration without issue?

Thanks!

Unread 03/19/2018, 09:58 AM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Reducing the volume/size of the return pump section won't be an issue. Top off water is added at the rate of evaporation which can change throughout the year depending on ambient air temp and humidity. Being that the chamber is smaller, if that is where you place the top off sensor, then yes top off will happen more frequently with less volume.

Section 1 is typically for mechanical filtration, which is not necessary, but preferred by many. As for reactors, those typically run outside of the sump. You can plumb the return with additional outlets and valve/cap them when not in use. Vinyl tube can be used from there to the reactor running outside the sump with another line dumping back into any of the chambers you choose.