Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

Exclamation Power Outage! need help ASAP

I live in San Fransico, so power outages didnt seem to be a concern for me when setting up my tank. I dont no why but the power in my district went off, and that includes everything for my tank.

I was wondering how dangerous is it for the fish to be in cooler water, as the heater obviously isint working, or how fast will the water cool down in a 55g

Anything right now would be really helpfull, and I doubt this power outage will last long. suggestions for the future would be welcomed to.

Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Tripod1404
Registered Member

How cold is your home? I would worry about suffocation before cooling. Unless there is surface agitation, oxygen will be depleted pretty fast.

I would pout tank water into a pitcher and pour that into the tank for 5-10 times very 15mis or so.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 04:41 PM   #3
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

Thanks, getting a pitcher now, and its 62 degrees in my house right now. The tank is glass to.

Unread 03/13/2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

Okay powers back on, but now theres a new problem; The filter is not turning on. My lights, powerhead, and heater are on, but the filter isint working. I tried plugging it back in and out but theres no sign of it working

Unread 03/13/2018, 05:24 PM   #5
Anemone
Cloning Around

Okay, for the future, you'll want a battery backup of some sort. You can get a computer battery backup and plug one of your circulation (or filter) pumps into it. Do not plug your heater into it, or it will last very little time.

You can also buy a battery backup air pump that comes on when the power goes out. I have used Penn Plax B2 air pumps for years. They run on a single D battery, plug into your power source, and only come on when the power goes off. They last more than 24 hours, so they are useful for a longer-term outage. I used to keep one in my main tank and one in my biofilter/refugium area.

As for the heat, heaters take quite a bit of voltage, so you'll need a larger backup battery or small generator to run a heater for any length of time. The first thing you'll want to do is wrap the tank in blankets or towels to help keep insulate the tank and keep the existing heat in. I got some large bungee cords to wrap around the tank (and the blankets), as this seemed to me the easiest way to secure the blankets to the tank.
If desperate, you could always heat water on a gas stove and mix back into the tank, or get one of those old-style rubber hot-water bottles that you could fill with hot water and place in the tank to radiate heat into the surrounding water.

HTH,
Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 12:49 AM   #6
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost_Hydra View Post
Okay powers back on, but now theres a new problem; The filter is not turning on. My lights, powerhead, and heater are on, but the filter isint working. I tried plugging it back in and out but theres no sign of it working
Probably the propeller got jammed. You need to open the pump and clean it.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 04:44 AM   #7
homer1475
Registered Member

I lose power at least weekly here in upstate NY. If its not over 4 hours I don't do a thing to my tank. Have never had an issue due to power outages. If your tank can't last a couple hours without power, it might not be setup properly.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 07:59 AM   #8
Jonviviano
Registered Member

Homer, I could not disagree with you more. How do individual tank setups have an effect on how long they can go without power? Besides some sort of backup power. Typically we do not plan for power outages. Your 4 hour outage could turn into a 24 hour outage. I have Vortechs, geissman lights, Apex, Dosing pumps. How would this help my tank compared to a few DIY leds and Jebao powerheads? When power goes out ALL tanks suffer the same fate. Lack of oxygen and cold temperature. Throwing $$$ at your system wont make a damn difference.(besides a generator). The idea is keeping parameters stable through the outage. With the money i have into my reef, and Refrigerator a Generator was one of my first purchases for my home.

Jonviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:17 AM   #9
homer1475
Registered Member

I have a genny also and only use it when the power has been out longer then 3 hours. Our tanks pretty much run at saturated oxygen levels(assuming you don't have it sealed up tight and run a skimmer), and should be able to withstand a 5 to 10 degree temperature difference. Yes all tanks are setup differently, but still should be able to handle a couple hours without power.

I also have an apex, dosing pumps, vortechs, ATI t5's, etc, etc, I and most reefs could still withstand a couple hours without power(temps on the reef are not constant like our tanks tend to be). I think you underestimate your tanks ability to withstand a couple hours without power.

Notice I did not say more then a couple hours? Sk8r has a nice write up in the NTTH section about loosing power. She pretty much comes to the same conclusion I have, unless temps get dangerously low(forget her number but I consider 70 getting to low), and your fish aren't gasping for air, wait it out.

I might have been a little hasty in saying a definitive 4 hours.

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Jonviviano
Registered Member

Touche, Maybe some of it my obsessiveness to maintain perfect parameters!

Jonviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:22 AM   #11
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I live in SF Bay Area and keep my house / ambient temp around 60-64 and my tank temp 75. With 10-15 degree difference it takes 45 minutes to an hour to drop 0.5 degrees (data from Apex temp chart). Conservatively if say it takes 1 hour to drop 1 degree, I have about 3 hours to get gas for my small generator to power the tank and cell phones. People in my house can’t survive a minute without their cell phones.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:23 AM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
If your tank can't last a couple hours without power, it might not be setup properly.
Agreed, all but the most absurdly overstocked tanks can last two hours. O2 is the problem more than temperature.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 08:26 AM   #13
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I live in SF Bay Area and keep my house / ambient temp around 60-64 and my tank temp 75. With 10-15 degree difference it takes 45 minutes to an hour to drop 0.5 degrees (data from Apex temp chart). Conservatively if say it takes 1 hour to drop 1 degree, I have about 3 hours to get gas for my small generator to power the tank and cell phones. People in my house can’t survive a minute without their cell phones.
This. ^^

A couple hours will not destroy your tank or have any detrimental effects. Kids without their cell phones on the other hand........

I honestly have seen the temp get to low before the fish even seem affected by the lack of oxygen. I'm lightly stocked though.