Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2009, 01:33 PM   #226
Emster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joe.saunders
Emmett,

Beautiful tank. Its so healthy and vibrant. Ya, the fundamental of keeping water quality excellent is very important and you tank is a great example of that. If I could only be as diligent It's great that you have a rose anemone that live so harmoniously in your tank. I think they are beautiful but did not want one because in the tanks Ive seen they move around alot. Im wondering whether they move alot in tanks that have varying water paramters.

Great job! Look forward to your future tank threads.

-Joe
Hey thanks! Yeah the anemone has never moved not really sure why, he is way up top and getting really big. Don't know about the varying water parameters but that is something to think about.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal, Iwaki 70, 4-3/4" sea swirls, 3-400 watt Radiums, 4-80watt T-5's , custom Ca reactor, 1/3hp aqualogic chiller, i-Tech 400, Tunze osmolator
Emster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 01:37 PM   #227
Emster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kittyj
Do you have any problems with your Frogspawn killing your SPS? I used to have a LPS/ Softie tank, but we had a horrible ice storm in Oklahoma about a year ago, and I lost everything in my tank due to a week-long power outage. I started over with an emphasis on SPS, but I miss the movement from my frogspawn, torch, hammer, etc.

I didn't think I could combine SPS with agressive LPS, but maybe there is hope? I have the same footprint as your tank, just a smidge taller to make it approx 105 gallons. Your tank is beautiful, and it's so nice to see a smaller tank win TOTM.

Congrats!

KJ
I know a lot of people around here that have frogspawn and hammers in the same tank with sps's so I would say go for it. I do run carbon so maybe that helps them get along but really don't have any problems with them stinging each other. Hope your tank does well for you!

Current Tank Info: 180 gal, Iwaki 70, 4-3/4" sea swirls, 3-400 watt Radiums, 4-80watt T-5's , custom Ca reactor, 1/3hp aqualogic chiller, i-Tech 400, Tunze osmolator
Unread 02/06/2009, 04:36 AM   #228
CaptiveReefer03
Registered Member

Emster-

Great tank ... quick question what is the coral that is in the pic with the blue damsel in the totm page? the colony is to the left in the main view of the tank its teal and blue looks to me to be a type of echino? I have some of the same coral and havent been able to classify it and was wondering if you might be able to help.

Any direction would be great!

Keep up the beautiful tank and love the multicolored caps!

Charles-

Current Tank Info: Started 600g display 6-17-07.. 750g overall system. New 120g fuge setup 08-16-2010
CaptiveReefer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2009, 05:02 AM   #229
Emster
Registered Member

Charles - Thanks, yeah that is a Tyree blue chalice, its the fastest growing coral in my tank.

Unread 02/08/2009, 08:05 AM   #230
CaptiveReefer03
Registered Member

Nice okay thanks for the info. I got my from a friend who works in the trade that got it out of another tank... its the same colors in the other system just browned out atm , but hoping to have it ccome back what is your flow like where its postitioned? dont want to hit it too hard in my system as its a new piece.. an I was told it does well high water volumes and pleanty of light...

Current Tank Info: Started 600g display 6-17-07.. 750g overall system. New 120g fuge setup 08-16-2010
CaptiveReefer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2009, 07:28 PM   #231
Emster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptiveReefer03
Nice okay thanks for the info. I got my from a friend who works in the trade that got it out of another tank... its the same colors in the other system just browned out atm , but hoping to have it ccome back what is your flow like where its postitioned? dont want to hit it too hard in my system as its a new piece.. an I was told it does well high water volumes and pleanty of light...
Mine is very sensitive to light, it will brown out with too much light. I would put it in a very low light and low flow area. Good luck with it.

Emmett

Unread 02/12/2009, 01:09 PM   #232
IvanaO
Registered Member

Hi, Emmett. Your tank is beautiful and one of my favorites. You have an impeccable sense of aesthetics, IMHO. I especially like the sand you are using. Where can I find some just like it?

Ivana

IvanaO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2009, 07:23 PM   #233
Emster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IvanaO
Hi, Emmett. Your tank is beautiful and one of my favorites. You have an impeccable sense of aesthetics, IMHO. I especially like the sand you are using. Where can I find some just like it?

Ivana
Thank you so much for the kind words.

My sand is CaribSea Aragomax sugar sized sand 0.1-1.0mm and you should be able to find it in any good fish store. Good luck in your search.

Unread 03/10/2009, 08:48 AM   #234
Dr Hakan
Registered Member

mmm wonderful thank.. very nice.. i would like to ask ..where would you you find that blue montipora plate??? i have never seen it before.... thank you..
Dr.Hakan ( iamhakan@hotmail.com )

Current Tank Info: reef tank 120cmx50x50
Dr Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 10:13 AM   #235
Emster
Registered Member

thank you for the kind words Dr. That is actually a Tyree blue chalice but it looks just like a cap

Unread 05/07/2009, 11:39 PM   #236
Optimist
Registered Member

Dude, I joined just to say that I have read your TOTM a dozen times and I know I already told you in a message but it seriously is the best tank I have ever seen!
I hope my tank makes it to that point one day!
I have LPS in my sps tank and they even touch each other without burning each other. The only one that definitly stings is the long tenticle aussie torch... he stings everything. But my normal torch touches my hammer and my frogspawn and they are all fluffy as can be. I use carbon also.
Again, I couldn't say it enough and have showed alot of people your tank... it's the best tank I have ever seen!
Keep it up Em!!!!

Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 03:50 AM   #237
Emster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist
Dude, I joined just to say that I have read your TOTM a dozen times and I know I already told you in a message but it seriously is the best tank I have ever seen!
I hope my tank makes it to that point one day!
I have LPS in my sps tank and they even touch each other without burning each other. The only one that definitly stings is the long tenticle aussie torch... he stings everything. But my normal torch touches my hammer and my frogspawn and they are all fluffy as can be. I use carbon also.
Again, I couldn't say it enough and have showed alot of people your tank... it's the best tank I have ever seen!
Keep it up Em!!!!
Thank you so much for the compliment. Some of my lps touch too and no problems but my hammer and frogspawn goes after a lot. Also have to keep an eye on the blue chalice, its got long and very hard to see stingers. Hope your tank gets there, I tried to included everything I know in that article. No big secrets here, the longer I do this the more I believe that photo period is key, knowing when corals are getting just enough light to keep all happy.

Unread 05/18/2009, 12:28 PM   #238
Optimist
Registered Member

Thank you for meeting up with me and letting me have a chance to pick out some corals! They all acclimated well and I put them where you told me. I am extremely happy with the choices. I took pictures of before so I can send you before and afters in a year or so when I get back.
Thank you so much Emmett!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2009, 07:34 PM   #239
Emster
Registered Member

No problem, always willing to help out one who serves this great country of ours! So glad your happy, when your ready for more LMK. Be safe in your travels.

Unread 09/18/2009, 11:23 AM   #240
rayviv
Registered Member

90 gal tom

Emster, I dont see how you can have sooo much gorgeous stock in a 90gal. This is absolutely
the most beautiful tank! Hats off to Ya.

I have a 90gal mixed that I can't find any room for any thing else. Even had to move some to the sump.

Current Tank Info: Mixed
rayviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2010, 10:35 PM   #241
reefjunky4life
Registered Member

2x250 watt light

Congratulations, Emster!

What a great looking tank. I have a question for you? I'm setting up a 90 gallon drilled tank as well and want to get one of the two lights below:

Hamilton Technology Belize Sun 48 inch MH & T5 Fixtures, 2X150W HQI Metal Halide Bulb & 2X54W T5 HO

Hamilton Technology 48 inch MH & T5 Fixtures, 2 Mogul Base Metal Halide Bulbs & 2X54W T5 HO

After speaking with couple of people they telling me not to get 2x250watt
to go with 2x150 watt I really don't want to go with 2x150 watt specially after i seen what you created with 2x250 watt, If i get one of the lights i mentioned above do you thing i will be OK i defiantly don't want to bleach my corals?
Please let me know. Thank you so much.

reefjunky4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 04:59 AM   #242
Emster
Registered Member

Thank you so much I'm really glad you like it. I would go with the 250watt version, your bulb choices are much greater and if you ever go to sell it would sell much faster then the 150watt version.

Unread 09/20/2010, 06:12 PM   #243
rhouse24
Registered Member

I really like your 90g tank. I have a tall 120 (48x18x30) I'm setting up. I am very inspired by your tank and the amazing beauty of it. Would it be okay if I reference it on my build? Thank you so much for sharing it.

Compared to your tank, do you think being 6" deeper will have a very large impact on the amount of sps I can grow?

rhouse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2011, 01:12 PM   #244
chrissu
Moved On

Hello Emmett, I bought a few frags off of you last year when you were in the process of standing up your new display tank. How has that project been going? Do you have your new tank stocked up now with pictures to share? Would love to see your new setup and buy some more corals too.

chrissu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2011, 02:15 PM   #245
Emster
Registered Member

Funny you posted now. Going to start a thread tonight if I can. I will post a link

Unread 01/14/2011, 03:05 PM   #246
chrissu
Moved On

Looking forward to seeing it. By chance are you going to post it in the Tampa Bay Reef Club Forum area? I'm there daily and will be sure to see it that way. Otherwise, just send me a link.

Thanks!

chrissu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2011, 10:16 PM   #247
Emster
Registered Member

Here it is http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1960700

Unread 08/11/2014, 11:35 AM   #248
flyfisher2
Registered Member

2009 tom

Awesome tank
Looking forward to seeing it some day soon

flyfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote