Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2018, 04:38 AM   #1
REEFDXB
Registered Member

SUMP refugium SETUP - HELP

Hi guys

By introduction I'm RAPALA and I need HELP… Ive had two marine setups before but both setup the wrong way crashed and I lost interest 1st was a Red Sea Max 250 and second was a Jewel 300 setup with 2 external Canister filters (big mistake).

Long story short I now have a 170x65x65 cms display tank and 150x50x50 cms Sump below with the following 3 chamber design as I was using it for fresh water and have now emptied it and starting with a reef/Marine setup from scratch.

Question: I want to add a refugium and the only possibility I can see is the center section as you can see in the photo or I move the return pump to the middle and use the last chamber as a refugium and feed water using a pump? (Not really sure if it would work)?

Do you guys have any better suggestions and why? Would appreciate your input/assistance so I get it correct right from the start!

Photo Links below.. Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUMP Design 2.JPG (29.3 KB, 40 views)
REEFDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Cymonous
My Clown Attacks Me

It's a good start. Yes, I would go with the fuge in the middle and the biggest possible. Going based on your picture, your tall baffles need to be tallest to shortest, left to right. First baffle from skimmer say 12 inches, then 11, then 10, then 9. This way it flows easily from skimmer to fuge, then return pump section.

Current Tank Info: 2 False Percula Clowns, One Spot Foxface, Diamond Watchman Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, Engineer Goby
Cymonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Cymonous
My Clown Attacks Me

Oh and Make sure to clean any used tanks and equipment with Vinegar and water before starting.

Current Tank Info: 2 False Percula Clowns, One Spot Foxface, Diamond Watchman Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, Engineer Goby
Cymonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 10:58 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

As drawn... fuge in the center is your only option unless you wanted to start changing baffle configurations..

Unread 07/10/2018, 10:40 PM   #5
Steve175
Registered Member

yep. Fuge in the middle. Or a 3rd tank :-). No reason for bubble trap into the fuge IMO: wasting fuge space.

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 11:24 PM   #6
REEFDXB
Registered Member

Thanks for clearing my doubts that exactly what I will do.

REEFDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 09:44 AM   #7
callsign4223
Registered Member

What you have drawn out is exactly what I have done in my sump. Works like a champ.

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote