Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2018, 10:14 AM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

Best way to pretreat a coral without quarantine qt ?

Hi,
I really dont have space to set up a QT tank. I already have about all the fish I want in my 110 gallon (4 ft x 2ft x 22in high). I'm concerned mainly about disease coming in on corals. I know the only way to best proof against this is QT. I just cant at this point.
I do have Coral Rx. I have gotten my corals only from LiveAquaria and some from Cherry Corals. I mention that b/c I know the source matters especially with no QT.
What is the best way for me to proceed. Since I can only do some form of dipping technique. I know it will be far from 100%.

Thanks

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 10:40 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Dipping is a great first step. A QT could be a bucket with a heater and some flow if your level of concern is that high.

Unread 05/16/2018, 11:08 AM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

QT for severdal days or weeks like that, I doubt any acro will survive, right? For instance I can possibly set up this little 7 gallon bowfront with fair LED lighting, but was adv even this will not be good enough for stablity concerns, and possibly lighting (it's a smaller zet light).

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 02:47 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

Iodine dip. What would be gained by QT?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Iodine dip. What would be gained by QT?
Depends on how much money you got tied up in your tank and if you can afford to tear it down and start all over again...

I dont know about you but in the 20 gallon I just started up about 3 months ago, I already have a easy grand tied up in just corals frags (single polyp frags and SPS crumbs, literally) and I have only just begun!!! I am pretty confident this tank is gonna get at least another grand in coral frags over the next 12 months. Thats a lot of money and time invested, why would you not take the easy steps to protect that investment of time and money?

I used to do the dip thing too when I first got into this hobby and for the most part that works pretty well. But after being seriously burned a few times, I dip and then QT for at least 4 weeks! If you walk on water...eventually the ice is gonna break!

Back to the OP...I would at least dip my corals as a bare minimum, but I would seriously suggest you reconsider a 5-10 gallon QT tank in addition to. But to each his own....

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 07:46 PM   #6
ajoe
Registered Member

http://www.reefgently.com/

small investment for the life in your tank . IMO

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2018, 07:48 PM   #7
ajoe
Registered Member

This is what I use to treat prior to QT/Acclimation

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/8-oz-...IaAmzEEALw_wcB

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 05:56 AM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaexpat2 View Post
Depends on how much money you got tied up in your tank and if you can afford to tear it down and start all over again...

I dont know about you but in the 20 gallon I just started up about 3 months ago, I already have a easy grand tied up in just corals frags (single polyp frags and SPS crumbs, literally) and I have only just begun!!! I am pretty confident this tank is gonna get at least another grand in coral frags over the next 12 months. Thats a lot of money and time invested, why would you not take the easy steps to protect that investment of time and money?

I used to do the dip thing too when I first got into this hobby and for the most part that works pretty well. But after being seriously burned a few times, I dip and then QT for at least 4 weeks! If you walk on water...eventually the ice is gonna break!

Back to the OP...I would at least dip my corals as a bare minimum, but I would seriously suggest you reconsider a 5-10 gallon QT tank in addition to. But to each his own....
What are you quarantining corals for?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 06:41 AM   #9
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
What are you quarantining corals for?
Well lets see...

There is Red Bugs, Zoa Eating Nudi's, Flat Worms, just to name a few. Then there is always the possibility that a frag will have Bryopsis (sp?), Bubble Algae, Dictoya (sp?), Aptasia, Majano Anemones just to name a few of the nasties that while controllable are much easier dealt with if you dont have it in your Display tank that you have hundreds of dollars tied up in if not a few thousand! I would much rather loose a coral in my QT than to put it in my display and potentially end up loosing everything! Its like your old Grandma used to say...."A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". She didnt get old by being foolish or stupid, did she?

Besides how many Local Fish Stores have you walked in that didnt have some hair algae, bubble algae, Bryopsis, apitasia or something in at least one tank? How many LFS's actually QT their live stock before putting it in their retail tanks? How many times have you walked into your LFS and saw a fish ate up with Ich? Now how many of those LFS have their tanks linked in a chain or off the same sump or filtration system potentially contaminating the rest of their tanks in the store?

Am I being a little too paranoid? Perhaps. But after you get burned a couple of times...Learning will take place eventually, if not your doomed to repeat it. If you dont introduce it to your tank, you cant very well have a problem with it now, can you? I want to enjoy my tanks and the fruits of my labor, not spend my time fighting it in vain as it withers away. I want my tanks looking breath taking not like they are on life support and gonna flat line any minute now! When I sell a frag to someone, I want to be dang sure I am giving them a frag thats healthy and pest free. Cause I want them to come back for more frags and I want my LFS asking when I am gonna bring them some more frags to sell! There are some games in life I dont want to play, "Russian Roulette" would be just one of those games!!!

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote