Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2018, 01:02 PM   #1
02tts
Registered Member

EcoTech Vectra L1 after 1.5 years of use

Here are some pictures of my L1 and what it looks like after 1.5 years of use. It literally fell apart in my hands as I was unscrewing it. Is this normal.....do other high end pump plastic break down like this...?

The top (return) blue plastic nut also broke in half as I was screening the new pump, not by force just crumbled in broke in half. I’d have to say that’s bad plastic chemistry....since no water really touches the plastic nut?

02tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 05:34 PM   #2
LQT
Registered Member

Wow that’s bad. I know it’s out of warranty, but you should still contact Ecotech customer service. An 18 month old pump, regardless of the make should not crumble like that.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Terrible! I have an L1 and M1.... About 1.5 years old too. I would expect them to last MUCH longer for the price we paid.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 06:06 PM   #4
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Wow that’s bad. I know it’s out of warranty, but you should still contact Ecotech customer service. An 18 month old pump, regardless of the make should not crumble like that.

It’s terrible. I have 3 of these pumps. The plastics that broke off were brittle as can be and in any think of any reason the plastic composition should break down like that.

Next time I’m just going to swallow it and pick up a Red Dragon pump, I’ve seen them up close and held them and it’s built like a tank in comparison - never heard of their pumps doing this. I just wish they weren’t so expensive, it’s crazy how expensive these DC pumps are.

Unread 08/21/2018, 06:08 PM   #5
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
Terrible! I have an L1 and M1.... About 1.5 years old too. I would expect them to last MUCH longer for the price we paid.

Hopefully you have much better luck than I did! I still have two more that were all purchase at the same time. I was going to taken them offline and give them a cleaning but after replacing this one which stopped working on me yesterday, I’m not touching them until they die.

Unread 08/21/2018, 07:20 PM   #6
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

Though they're not DC, I have several Ehiem pumps that are pushing over decade now and look like new with a simple vinegar soak. A pump shouldn't disintegrate in a year and a half no matter what.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies

Last edited by Fishbulb2; 08/21/2018 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 07:29 PM   #7
jamie1981
Registered Member

Do you run ozone on your system by chance?

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 07:29 PM   #8
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbulb2 View Post
Though they're not DC, I have several Ehiem pumps that are pushing over decade now and look like new with a simple vinegar soak. A pump shouldn't disintegrate in a year and a half no matter what.

FB

I figured as much. Especially given the price. In the past I’ve had the reeflo type pumps which other than ocasional seal leak lasted forever but they are thing of the past unless you have a very large tank or need to push some serious head pressure, etc.

Anyway, extremely disappointed with the quality given price point and if it wasn’t for their strict (aka ridiculous) no return policy I’d return this and buy Red Dragon.

Unread 08/21/2018, 07:30 PM   #9
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1981 View Post
Do you run ozone on your system by chance?

No, never.
No UV either, not that it matters in this case.

Unread 08/21/2018, 07:34 PM   #10
jamie1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tts View Post
No, never.
No UV either, not that it matters in this case.
Actually it would as ozone attacks plastics and if the water had high amounts of ozone present it would degrade the plastic.

It looks like you used some type of pipe sealant on the threads was this abs safe?

When pipe dope comes into contact with ABS plastic, certain oil based chemicals in the pipe dope attack the plastic and cause it to become very weak and brittle.

Unread 08/21/2018, 07:38 PM   #11
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1981 View Post
Actually it would as ozone attacks plastics and if the water had high amounts of ozone present it would degrade the plastic.

It looks like you used some type of pipe sealant on the threads was this abs safe?

When pipe dope comes into contact with ABS plastic, certain oil based chemicals in the pipe dope attack the plastic and cause it to become very weak and brittle.

I meant that the UV wouldn’t matter - I realize ozone can have an adverse effect on various surfaces. As for the pipe thread, it’s pvc safe and when I spoke to them 1.5 years ago (at time of install) and mentioned I wanted to use pipe sealant instead to Teflon their Support said no problem, I may actually still have te original email, so while their plastic is not PVC they did say it wouldn’t be an issue.

I’ve always used pipe sealant instead of Teflon, albeit this time I used Teflon after replacing the pump just in case the chemical composition had anything to do with it.

I’m not a chemist so I couldn’t say either way, however; the top of the pump (the return) which is exposed to the same sealant and higher pressure ‘appears’ to be holding, meaning the plastic is not falling apart.

Unread 08/21/2018, 07:41 PM   #12
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

I've used ozone in my system for about 5 years now and don't even generally run carbon. But none of my Tunzes or Eheims have ever ever failed in that time span. It's true that ozone can degrade plastic, but I'm sure 02ss has other pumps in the tank that haven't fallen apart. Aside from the return pump, there must be some sort of power heads heads and wavemakers in the tank to serve as controls. Also I think if your ozone levels are high enough to degrade plastics in an aquarium, I imagine your fish would be suffering as well?

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 07:55 PM   #13
jamie1981
Registered Member

If you have that original email from ecotech I would reach out to them about the issue and see what they say. I would bet money that the plumbers goop that you used caused it.

Unread 08/21/2018, 08:01 PM   #14
jamie1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbulb2 View Post
I've used ozone in my system for about 5 years now and don't even generally run carbon. But none of my Tunzes or Eheims have ever ever failed in that time span. It's true that ozone can degrade plastic, but I'm sure 02ss has other pumps in the tank that haven't fallen apart. Aside from the return pump, there must be some sort of power heads heads and wavemakers in the tank to serve as controls. Also I think if your ozone levels are high enough to degrade plastics in an aquarium, I imagine your fish would be suffering as well?
Depends where they pump would be located in relation the ozone generator.

Ozone breaks down quickly, for all we know they pump could have been powering a ozone generator?

But the the OP has stated that they do not run ozone. So that is ruled out.

Unread 08/22/2018, 01:17 AM   #15
saveafish
Registered Member

ETM failing all over the place. It's ok a dirty secret.. SHHH. There are several companies circling over 2019 like starving vultures. ETM runs out of their patented.
I got old danner mag drives thats been used for 15yrs I got them used. Little bath and they look new other than the dents from me dropping them.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 01:13 PM   #16
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Pumps are made in China. Maybe you was unlucky and you bought pump from first, not completely checked series and after the time they improved overall quality of materia.
I dont know, everything can fail - question is how manufacturer will solve it. Here in EU Customers have 2 years of warranty, some of them offer three years of full warranty.

Unread 08/23/2018, 01:16 PM   #17
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
Pumps are made in China. Maybe you was unlucky and you bought pump from first, not completely checked series and after the time they improved overall quality of materia.
I dont know, everything can fail - question is how manufacturer will solve it. Here in EU Customers have 2 years of warranty, some of them offer three years of full warranty.

Manufacturer does not stand behind their product. That’s #1 problem with EcoTec. Support is subpar and they do not stand behind it. I really hope that once their patent expires someone with a real background in QA and customer service which stands behind their products comes up with a better and more affordable solution. I’ve spent thousands on their equipment and they could care less.

I digress as I don’t want to turn this into a *****ing session but I had to express the disappointment.

Unread 08/23/2018, 02:06 PM   #18
rvareef
In Memoriam

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2621134

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 02:42 PM   #19
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvareef View Post

Wow.
Seems I’m not alone in the list of ever growing issues with this company.

Thanks for sharing!

Unread 08/23/2018, 06:43 PM   #20
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Why is there pipe dope on it? That's an interesting failure. My Vectra is running strong, I somehow doubt that will be the norm. If it was they would be failing all over the place.

Quote:
Wow.
Seems I’m not alone in the list of ever growing issues with this company.

Thanks for sharing!
Everything from every company breaks. Ecotech wouldn't be in business if everything was always failing. People are going to have issues but as a percentage the amount of failures is likely very low.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 08/23/2018 at 06:50 PM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 06:46 PM   #21
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Why is there pipe dope on it? That's an interesting failure. My Vectra is running strong, I somehow doubt that will be the norm. If it was they would be failing all over the place.

I have always used pipe sealant vs Teflon in all my tanks. Just personal preference.

Unread 08/23/2018, 06:52 PM   #22
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
I have always used pipe sealant vs Teflon in all my tanks. Just personal preference.
I do too, but that isn't a pipe fitting, it's machine thread. There is an oring seal for the union.

Unread 08/23/2018, 06:57 PM   #23
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
I do too, but that isn't a pipe fitting, it's machine thread. There is an oring seal for the union.

The o-ring seal doesn’t do anything - at least not in my case. Putting that pump inline without Teflon or pipe sealer will leak (in my case). I tried it on my most recent replacement two days ago - for which I used Teflon - no Teflon = leak. I run my pumps externally. Not to say maybe others can run these pumps without Teflon or pipe sealant but in my case, it leaked and if I tighten too much the plastic nut breaks - been there already with them too and they made me pay for a brand new nut vs sending me one - on a hand tighten mind you. Anyway, to each it’s own I guess in terms of selection. I think if they would make the thread a bit thicker it would pose less of a problem and also help guarantee against over tightening but I’m not an engineer so that just my opinion and way outside the scope of this thread

Unread 08/23/2018, 07:02 PM   #24
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I'm an engineer in R&D that looks at failures and improves upon them daily, so this has me intrigued. When I had my L1 external it didn't leak and it didn't require much tightening for it to be water tight.

Unread 08/23/2018, 07:05 PM   #25
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:

Everything from every company breaks. Ecotech wouldn't be in business if everything was always failing. People are going to have issues but as a percentage the amount of failures is likely very low.

I strongly disagree with that statement. A $450 pump should not break in 1.5 years of usage and should not fail like this, period. 5,7 years later, sure I can live with that. Company not standing behind their clearly failed product because it’s 6 months out of warranty is not acceptable. This is not neglect or user error, etc.