Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/29/2015, 01:45 PM   #2776
Lawrancedutt
Registered Member

Jbj 28g

HELLO, i have started a jbj 28 gallon build , its cycled well and i stocked with some zoas and a hammer , have two clown fishes , now i only have few snails , what are good set or cuc crew that you guys have success with? also stocking for fishes, and shrimp. i want to have atleast 5-6 fishes . also what skimmer would fit in middle chamber , is it good idea to diss the middle three chamber for a skimmer ?

28jbg, ocean revive ar026 light, 2 oc clowns, 2 snails, rw8 pump .

thanks in advance .

Lawrancedutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2015, 09:10 PM   #2777
ShawnLeary
Registered Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrancedutt View Post
HELLO, i have started a jbj 28 gallon build , its cycled well and i stocked with some zoas and a hammer , have two clown fishes , now i only have few snails , what are good set or cuc crew that you guys have success with? also stocking for fishes, and shrimp. i want to have atleast 5-6 fishes . also what skimmer would fit in middle chamber , is it good idea to diss the middle three chamber for a skimmer ?

28jbg, ocean revive ar026 light, 2 oc clowns, 2 snails, rw8 pump .

thanks in advance .
I'm setting mine up this weekend. I want to remove the rim off of it since I don't have a canopy. Then going to hang a Kessil 360 over it. Going to focus on reef keeping and a few fish.

Is anyone using a rubber mat in between the tank and stand? I saw someone do that and wondered why, sounds dampening?

ShawnLeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2015, 09:30 PM   #2778
ShawnLeary
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranz View Post
Getting my JBJ28 going again. Thinking of going rimless anyone doing this can it be done?

Any luck finding details on the removal?

Old 07/09/2015, 09:38 PM   #2779
ShawnLeary
Registered Member

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/28188...-jbj-nanocube/

Found some info on removing the rim on the 28g

Old 07/09/2015, 09:53 PM   #2780
ShawnLeary
Registered Member

Here is the link to the actual walk through of doing a "rim job" going rimless on a JBJ nano

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/27172...s-24-jbj-nano/

Old 07/10/2015, 09:12 AM   #2781
Gagonzalez
Reef Fanatic

I would say no. There is a reason for the framing around the top. I have had several tanks leak with the framing around the top. All of them replaced under warranty. I don't think I would risk removing it.

Also, I don't think the overflow is low enough and water would splash out a lot, especially if you stick your arm in the tank. If it is possible, you would probably have to grind the overflow down a bit to make it somewhat safe.

Current Tank Info: JBJ 28g Nano / Aquamaxx HOB-1 / TLF 150 with GFO/ Vortech MP10QD / JBJ ATO / In-Tank Basket / AI Hydra26
Gagonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2015, 09:53 AM   #2782
ShawnLeary
Registered Member

The overflow is a great point, but I would assume that the rim doesn't come into play with holding water regardless so not sure how that would affect water levels

Old 07/10/2015, 03:58 PM   #2783
Gagonzalez
Reef Fanatic

The rim provides a ledge that the water hits from the bottom up. With a little water agitation, my tanks leaked with the edging in place.

Now if I were to remove the edging, it's pretty much a guarantee that water will be splashing over the ledge constantly unless you lower the overflow intake area or maybe not run both pumps at the same time like I do.

Hope that made sense.

Good luck

Current Tank Info: JBJ 28g Nano / Aquamaxx HOB-1 / TLF 150 with GFO/ Vortech MP10QD / JBJ ATO / In-Tank Basket / AI Hydra26
Gagonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2015, 06:16 PM   #2784
ShawnLeary
Registered Member

Oh I see! I'm setting it up this weekend, this is good info. I'm waiting for my stand to arrive first. Did you use a cut out rubber mat in between the tank and stand?

Old 07/10/2015, 09:22 PM   #2785
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Can't get Tunze 9001 to fit

Those of you with a JBJ 28g nanocube and the 9001 Tunze skimmer, how'd you do it?? I have the older model with compact fluorescents and the skimmer sure doesn't fit.. I had to take the magnet off to get the body of the skimmer in the centre chamber and it still either blocks the overflow severely or gets caught under the lip, not letting me put the lid of the skimmer cup on. It's also seriously wobbly with no magnet. I didn't try, but I very much doubt I could open the tank lid either.

I currently have the skimmer set up in the tank to see if it'll break in. It's not producing any foam at all, just vague bubbles. (Been only 8 hours tho) Doesn't seem to matter if I have the skimmer above or below the little waterline mark. Fiddling with the air adjustment screw does nothing. Is it supposed to bubble like crazy? I will say it's very quiet.

I'm a noob with skimmers and not terribly handy so please describe things like I'm 5; if you have pictures even better.

[IMG][/IMG]

thanks,
ivy

Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2015, 11:07 AM   #2786
ReeferHead84
Registered Member

I think most people using a tunze have the 9002 model.

ReeferHead84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2015, 02:27 PM   #2787
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferHead84 View Post
I think most people using a tunze have the 9002 model.
Probably. My LFS says they discontinued the 02 when the 01 came out. Just checked the dimensions and hum, the 02 is .4 inches thinner. That's um, a cm or two. Shouldn't make this much of a difference?

In other notes, it makes better bubbles if I connect the air hose properly. 'the more you know'.

ivy

Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2015, 07:55 PM   #2788
hopper75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnLeary View Post
Oh I see! I'm setting it up this weekend, this is good info. I'm waiting for my stand to arrive first. Did you use a cut out rubber mat in between the tank and stand?
I'm in the process of setup and watched a video of someone doing that, it probably is so any vibration doesn't transfer to the hardwood floors. If you are setting up on carpet I'd skip it.

hopper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2015, 08:00 PM   #2789
hopper75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
I currently have the skimmer set up in the tank to see if it'll break in. It's not producing any foam at all, just vague bubbles. (Been only 8 hours tho) Doesn't seem to matter if I have the skimmer above or below the little waterline mark. Fiddling with the air adjustment screw does nothing. Is it supposed to bubble like crazy? I will say it's very quiet.

I'm a noob with skimmers and not terribly handy so please describe things like I'm 5; if you have pictures even better.
Any new skimmer requires a break in period, 7-14 days average. Just keep adjusting daily and you should see results.

hopper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2015, 10:40 PM   #2790
travis.jr
Registered Member

im sure this has been posted, but there are tons of posts to read through so i thought i would just ask.. anyone had any issues mounting a radion xr15w pro in the stock hood of the 28g? i wanted to upgrade my lights but going without a hood is not really an option for me.

thanks for the input

travis.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2015, 03:48 AM   #2791
Mr_Quality
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.jr View Post
im sure this has been posted, but there are tons of posts to read through so i thought i would just ask.. anyone had any issues mounting a radion xr15w pro in the stock hood of the 28g? i wanted to upgrade my lights but going without a hood is not really an option for me.

thanks for the input

I had no trouble adding a Truelumen Pro 12" strip in my JBJ 28g LED Intermediate hood. There would even be room for 1 or 2 more if desired.

Current Tank Info: JBJ 28g Intermediate LED
Mr_Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2015, 09:41 AM   #2792
Rob in Puyallup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Quality View Post
I had no trouble adding a Truelumen Pro 12" strip in my JBJ 28g LED Intermediate hood. There would even be room for 1 or 2 more if desired.
I just hung an LED fixture over mine.

Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2015, 10:11 PM   #2793
saltyFISHscales
Registered Member

Well I've been out of the game for a long time. I one of the first generation 28 gal jbj tanks with LEDs. I haven't invested much time into my tank, but I've decided to make some changes now that my lights are bugging out and it's time for an upgrade. After reading all the posts from 2012 to current Im still not sure what retro kit I should go with. I'm especially looking for an affordable LED retro kit that will fit in the hood. Any suggestions would be great! My lights are currently flickering like a strobe light, I'm sure my fish don't appreciate it hahaha.

saltyFISHscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2015, 12:28 AM   #2794
saltyFISHscales
Registered Member

Has anyone modified their 28g canopy to fit a aqua illumination prime fixture? Or does that need to be a specific height above the water?

saltyFISHscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 05:57 PM   #2795
Lawrancedutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyFISHscales View Post
Has anyone modified their 28g canopy to fit a aqua illumination prime fixture? Or does that need to be a specific height above the water?
the al prime is powerful , at least 12 inch's off water. just go hoodless there's a lot of let fixtures that would work.

Lawrancedutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2015, 05:11 AM   #2796
ian09
Registered Member

I just started a jbj28g myself and would like to share some pics of my current setup but not sure how to. Anyone know if I can upload pics using my iPhone? Or iPad? Currently cycling my tank at the moment. Glad to be back in the hobby
Also, im running mine with no hood and will be running a Kessil 360 using the gooseneck and controller. Anyone have a pic or diagram of the rear chambers with their equipment? i have a Tunze ATO, an aquamaxx skimmer and 2 two little fish reactors I would like to install in the back chambers but was wondering if anyone has a pic of theirs or if it's even possible. Thanks in advance

ian09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2015, 04:16 PM   #2797
illmatik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Puyallup View Post
I just hung an LED fixture over mine.

Can you please give details on what you used to cover the top of your tank?

I want to get a separate LED fixture like yours, but I need to keep my tank safe from my cat.

illmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2015, 02:59 PM   #2798
Sharkus333
Registered Member

starting up my jbj again but this time without a canopy. Im thinking kessil but not sure which one. 160we or 360we? Aspirations is a mix reef with some sps up high and centered under the light. Would the 160 cut it or spring for the 360?

Sharkus333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2015, 04:33 PM   #2799
ian09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus333 View Post
starting up my jbj again but this time without a canopy. Im thinking kessil but not sure which one. 160we or 360we? Aspirations is a mix reef with some sps up high and centered under the light. Would the 160 cut it or spring for the 360?

I'd say 360. I had a 360 on mine. My thinking was, you can always dial it down and if you ever upgrade anytime in the future then you have a stronger and bigger light
Worked for me. I used mine along with the gooseneck and the Kessil controller. Hope this helps

ian09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2015, 10:21 AM   #2800
Wyze
Registered Member

Ok sorry for asking but I can find the info after seeing it many times when I wasn't looking for it..... Smh lol

Can someone please refresh my memory on what mods were being done to the stock skimmer to make it more efficient??????

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 110 tall in slow motion
Wyze is offline   Reply With Quote