Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2017, 12:10 PM   #10526
Registered Member

Hello everyone,
My name is Sushant, I am a newbie in this side of the hobby, thought have kept freshwater planted tanks for many years. I recently started my first salt water tank (a 2 ft cube tank) a couple of months back which it's now cycled and have some soft corals and a couple of LPS. I plan is to slow and steady progressing in this hobby and in no hurry to stock my tank. I like to be more of a silent observer, so will be reading and understanding things before I start frequent posts.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 06:59 PM   #10527
Baba Ganoush
Registered Member

Hi all!

New to the hobby, loving it. A close friends house was destroyed in the Christmas tornados in Rowlett, Texas several years ago and he needed help rescuing his fish tank. I helped him set it up at my place and babysat his collection of creatures for a few months, that was it, I was hooked!

I found a used 90G Oceanic Bowfront a few months later and it’s been running since 9/13/17. I’m self taught, I’m read up; The New Marine Aguarium by Michael S. Paletta, and I’m digging into The Conscientous Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner. I’ve also centered on this community when I’m searching specific info and it has been invaluable. I’m riding the learning curve and just want someone elses’ input now and then and I am lacking any outside opinions.

So it’s time to join the conversation, hope y’all are receptive! Can’t wait to show off my setup. Just ask.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 09:48 AM   #10528
JamesZebedee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjosephscott View Post
I tried to help a friend 10 years ago and this is all I have left. Really could use some help on this.
Hi there, I don't know if you are still around, but this is a very active forum. You just posted your question in the wrong location. Try in the corals section rather than the introductions.

JamesZebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 03:30 PM   #10529
mmx01
Registered Member

New from the UK

Hi,

I'm new to the hobby, the tank is roughly 2 months old, nano cube 16g. Two clown fish, one LPS (Torch) and one softy (Leather).

Regards,
Mariusz

mmx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 09:23 AM   #10530
SimplyMikeC
Registered Member

Smile New guy in PA

Hello, name's Mike and I am new to Reef tanks and anything Salt water related.

I have always wanted to do a Reef tank. As a little kid in Cali in the late 70's early 80's my dad had a salt water tank where he seemed emphasized about how tedious, time consuming, and expensive the hobby was. Growing up as a military brat and spending most of my later life in military or just moving around I never felt comfortable investing in a reef tank. Now that I own a beautiful house here in PA and settled down I feel I am ready to embark on a new journey.

Over the past 30 years I have had many fresh water aquariums from 10 gallons to 200 gallons. Have done community tanks, African & South American cichlid tanks, plant tanks, a piranha tank and everything in between with varying results from amazing to downright catastrophic! Every tank was a new learning experience. SO with all that being said I know I am coming into a whole new field with 0 experience. If anything all that previous knowledge will most likely lead me to asking even more questions and possibly unlearning some old habits.

I do not own a tank at the moment other then the 20 gallon cichlid tank I have been teaching the little ones with. I do not want a traditional long narrow tank like my old 6" 150 & 200 gallon tanks, but rather something deeper both in height and depth rather than width starting around 150gallons. IMO I like the roomier look/feel they have.

I have always done most of my own fabrications so when the time comes, I might do a build thread. Until then I hope to talk to many of you around the forum and any suggestions or recommendations are always appreciated. Thank you

Mike

SimplyMikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 06:32 AM   #10531
MaKoiFiona210
Registered Member

Smile New to reef central

Stewarts here...owner of MacKoi and Fiona / shebunkins...moving them in for the winter til we build a pond. want to build a stand for 29 gal tank anys suggestions?

MaKoiFiona210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 06:37 AM   #10532
Jose Mayo
Registered Member

Hello guys
My name is Jose Mayo, MD, I live in Brazil and I am part of ReefClub, a good Brazilian site for marine aquarism. It was mine, in 2014, the first account of fluconazole's action on problematic marine algae, especially bryopsis and derbesia, which infested my marine tank. I also carried out the first research on the mechanism of action of fluconazole in these algae and developed the first protocols of treatments that proved to be effective. Since then I have sought to disseminate these observations as much as possible, for the pleasure of watching many aquarist colleagues solve their problems with difficult algae. Sincerely congratulations for the excellent work of disseminating your results on the use of fluconazole in the control of bryopsis and green hair algae; simply amazing!

Some years ago, more specifically in 2013 and still on the IPAq website, I started a long battle in a series of endless discussions about a personal observation during the treatment of a clown fish of mine that was with signs of fungus, and in an attempt of treatment I made use of some FLUCONAZOL capsules that I had at home, brand ZOLTEC, original mark of Pfizer lab, received from a propagandist, since in civil life I am a doctor.

As it had no hospital aquarium or quarantine, and since the fauna was limited to a couple of A. ocellaris, a Bodianus rufus, some pagurus and turbo snails, and some soft corals (kenias and anemones, basically), I simply dismantled the capsule of 150 mg of Zoltec / FLUCONAZOLE on the same display and I was observing the results.

Fish and other aquarium animals, including amphipods and copepods, felt nothing. The ocellaris fungus was controlled and ... something very strange happened; I cleaned the glass of the aquarium with the frequency of an enthusiastic beginner, and to my amazement, after applying FLUCONAZOL, the algae slimes of the glass simply did not accumulate and I came to realize that the stones and substrate, including some filamentous, also began to disappear ...

I reported the observation in the IPAq and began to research on the subject in order to understand why FLUCONAZOL had this effect and, not without some effort, I discovered that some PRIMITIVE ALGAE, among them Chlorophytes (glass algae), Derbésia , Bryopsis, Caulerpa, Codó, Halimeda and Ulva lactuca (sea lettuce), contained in their cell walls a structural lipid (fat) called ERGOSTEROL, also present in the cell walls of ALL FUNGI and which is precisely the target of attack of FLUCONAZOL , whose mechanism of action is, precisely, to block the enzymes that work in the elaboration of this lipid. Without ERGOSTEROL, the cell wall of the species containing it is weakened, and the organism, thus having diminished defenses, yields to the environment and dies. In ANIMALS IN GENERAL, from protozoan to whale, the predominant mebran lipid is CHOLESTEROL and that FLUCONAZOL does not block. The structural lipid of ZOOXANTHELAS is DINOSTEROL, which is also not blocked by FLUCONAZOL.

I also reported on these facts and discussed them (always in a good way), pretending that some would be enthusiastic, like me, and also try to experiment, since there was nothing in the aquaristic literature that referred to a drug that was CAPABLE OF AFFECTING ALGAE WITHOUT INTERFERING IN THE OTHER BIOTA OF THE AQUARIUM, being therefore REEF SAFE, and that could help the aquarists in the control of DIFFICULT ALGAE, if it were to confirm good results ... what you do now!

Keep up the good work!

Thank you all!

Jose Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 03:26 PM   #10533
Stephen d
Registered Member

Next tank.

Hi, I have been reefing for about 17 months now with a 6 gal nano tank. I have had reasonable success and thinking of going bigger. I have been looking at both the fluval evo 13.5 and the Kent Bio cube 94 litres. I aware the lighting only permits certain soft corals and was seeing if anyone could recommend which thank or even a better tank in that price range. I would love a Red Sea but at the minute it is out of my price range.

Thank you for taking your time to read this thread.

Stephen.

Stephen d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 07:28 PM   #10534
Naterade86
Registered Member

not new but restating after a short break

Hello all my name is Nate, I have been reefing for a few years now, I have a red sea max 250 custom set up. I had a serious power outage a last feburary and have no started back up until....you guessed it NOW.

I Live in Buffalo NY and love the hobby and I am excited to start bacl up again.
I look forward to the advice that helped me so much in the past. I will have many questions soon I'm sure.

God speed and happy reefing.

Nater, red sea max 250..

Naterade86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 10:00 AM   #10535
shanebc21
Registered Member

Hi Mike! welcome to RC!

shanebc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 09:55 PM   #10536
ron2morales
Registered Member

hello everyone my name is Ron. I've been a long time lurker learning as much as I can from this forum. I'm finally taking the leap. I'm as green as can be and looking to learn from you guys.

Thanks you all for all the advice on this site.

ron2morales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 03:56 PM   #10537
Unreal k
Registered Member

new

Hi RC my name is Kenny.I been on the hobby for 2 months now i wanna know the secrets
and learn as much as i can .my tank is an SCA 24Gallon Starfire Tank With Built-in Overflow I'm excited to learn and share my progress with all of you.

Unreal k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 05:49 AM   #10538
ahsansial
Registered Member

proud member of company

ahsansial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 04:28 PM   #10539
GumReefr
Registered Member.

New but not so new

Well, greetings all. As the title should imply I am really renewing to the hobby. I began reefing over 20 years ago. About 10 years ago I got married and moved and broke down the tank. It sat in the garage for 4 years and then we moved again. Then it sat in a storage facility for another 6 years. Finally got the tank out of storage and have been in the process of starting it back up... slowly. Man, have things changed. Had a 125 gal reef tank with 2X250w MH's and 1 400W MH supplemented with 2 x 48" actinic VHO's. Primarily a SPS guy. The tank was spectacular with 10-year-old colonies when I broke it down but alas I am no longer in San Diego and all the folks that I knew and gave my colonies to from SDMAS are no longer or not in proximity. So, I'm basically starting from scratch all over again. Suffice to say, I am setting up with LED's, Neptune, and taking advantage of the extensive use of DC in the hobby. Hope to keep all informed as things take shape. This and other forums have been instrumental in getting me ready. I have no doubt that I will be here and elsewhere known as P-Dub asking and sharing as I go.

GumReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 06:13 PM   #10540
briang384
Registered Member

Hi everyone I'm new to saltwater but been having freshwater tanks for 13 years. I just set up a 75 gallon FOWLR tank for now and it's been circulating for 2 weeks now along with live dry rock. Any ideas on first fish to put in. All options are welcomed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

briang384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 08:37 PM   #10541
iannuzzelli
Registered Member

Hi guys! I’m Canadian and looking to fill the cold winter nights with this new hobby. I do not have a tank yet, still trying to decide on the manufacturer. Definitely going to do a living reef, my first one. So I will likely be here a lot picking your brains.

iannuzzelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 10:53 PM   #10542
Kyel
Registered Member

Hello RC

My name is Kyel. I'm new to saltwater buying my first saltwater tank which is a 75 gallon. I've had freshwater tanks for just over 10 years. My biggest being a 150 gallon. It's great to be here and I appreciate any advice I can get. I'm also going to make the 75 gallon tank a reef tank.

Kyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 12:17 PM   #10543
CRreef
Registered Member

Hi my name is francisco, i start a saltwater about 6 months ago.
I have a 140g, no skimmer, no sump. i do have a FX6. The reason i dont have the sump and skimmer is because my tank is not drilled, and since i got this tank from a second hand i dont know if is tempered glass. So far the tank is doing great!, full cycle now.
I have a GSP and is doing good ( i know is a easy/invasive coral but i like it), a candy can, and i just got a torch, the torch is doing good as well.
Fishes i have a yellow tang ( it has a cloudy eye and some white spot on the top of the head, i quarantine this fish for 2 weeks and use some fungus treatment, after 2 weeks it was fine, now is back on the tank and is the queen), 4 clown fish( i put those guys on pair, 2 weeks of difference, i was little worry about they fighting, but well they are swimming together, like a school), 2 princes damsel (i got this ones by mistake, i when at petco and i ask for 3 chromis and they said o we only have 2, i said oh ok, ill take it, but i was to exited about getting a new fish so i dont check em haha, now they are in the tank but i havent see any aggressive behavior, 1 purple dottyback (lovely fish, eat any worm around, sometime it try to eat the emerald crab), 4 blue eyed cardinals( they looks simple but under the blue light those guys looks amazing). im thinking to get other tang but i have to really think about it, my yellow tang is really territorial.
well i think it is what i have, any tip or any idea what kind of medium size fish i could get will be really appreciated.
OH yeah i almost forget about my urchin, that guys is a algae eater machine!!

CRreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 10:24 PM   #10544
jaking
Registered Member

Hello, I'm looking to get in the hobby with a aquarium in the 50g size. Gather as much info on here on hardware and fish as I can... Great site!

jaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 09:39 AM   #10545
TriBeard
Registered Member

Brand new

Hello all, I'm about as new as they come.

I had a 10 or 20 gallon fresh water tank when I was a kid - late 80's, but it lasted less than a year. I then had a 30 freshwater with a couple of oscars for about 18 months, but couldn't keep it due work commitments. But that was 20 years ago.

The idea of a saltwater tank has been on my mind for a couple of years and I'm finally starting to make it happen. I've got a 30 gallon tank on order and a custom cabinet being made now. I've got a box with some equipment sitting in the corner ready to go and have purchased about 11 lbs of base rock and plan to buy more live rock from the lfs I am getting the aquarium from.

There's a lot of information to take in and it seems like more than one way to get and maintain a successful tank. I'm sure I'll have ups and downs but hope as time goes on the successes will out number the loses.

TriBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 06:41 PM   #10546
Derik0566
Registered Member

Derik0566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 05:15 PM   #10547
Parkey Canada
Registered Member

Ready for Crew - New to Reef

Hi, All,

I've been reading for a few months, and relying on a lot of advice here - I have an LED Biocube 32, Rock and sand which have now been successfully cycled - Set up Oct 24, did a frozen shrimp cycle, and my current values are:
Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 10, Salinity - 1.026, PH - 8.2, Temp - 77F

I think I'm ready to start with a CuC!

Currently, I have just a small amount of visible algae, and have not invested in a quarantine tank yet.

My plan: set up a 5 or 10 gal QT with water from my first water change, using some media from my established tank in a hang on filter. QT the CuC for . . . how long?

I'd appreciate advice on the number and mix of my CuC - Hermits, shrimps, snails - how many of each?

I've read so many differing opinions, would truly appreciate your advice.

Thanks, unfortunately, I don't know how to make the photo file small enough to share.

Dave

Current Tank Info: Starting my set-up
Parkey Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 05:57 PM   #10548
Parkey Canada
Registered Member

Forgot to mention -

I also have a UV sterilizer - not turned on right now - does that alter quarantine time?

Thanks again.

Dave

Unread 12/10/2017, 04:55 AM   #10549
AlenaBrenda
Registered Member

Smile My Introduction

Hello, My name is Alena Brenda. I am a housewife have 2 sweet kids who love to eath best turkey burgers. my husband Eric and be both are a social worker and we love to help others. I hope my this introduction will be enough and i will love to help people here.

Last edited by bertoni; 01/05/2018 at 04:33 PM.
AlenaBrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 09:08 AM   #10550
Parkey Canada
Registered Member

Can someone please confirm that my posts are seen by others? I've never had a response, and I don't show up in the e-mail summaries - are my settings wrong?

Dave

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral