Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2019, 12:23 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

40 Breeder reef stocking plan thoughts?

and sifting goby (diamond goby)
Clown pair (oscellaris and orange storm)
Melenarus wrasse
Red-line wrasse
Orangethroat pikeblenny
MNeon dottyback (Maybe?)
Mandarin dragonet

Blue body coral banded shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp (large)
1-2 emerald crabs

Ive read mixed reviews about the melenarus wrasse and crabs as well as larger shrimp from forums as well as associates at the reputable LFS i started going to. They said avoid hermits and snails but more moderate sized crabs / shrimp should be okay. My main concern is the dottyback - as everything in the tank is rated as peaceful where he is agressive.. my hope would be that he becomes the uncontested boss fish.
Any ideas for the order of adding these guys to the tank? I know the wrasses need to go in together
My dottyback will probably live in the sump until i add everything else.

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Mandarin in a young 40?
Doubt that will work for long.
Mandarin requires thousands of Pods on a consistent basis.
They need a fully mature tank in excess of 60 with tons of live rock at least 1 year old and no direct competition.

The diamond back also requires a mature sand bed or his time will be short as well

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2019, 01:27 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

Sand sifting goby will be difficult. If you see one at a store that eats prepared foods, it may work. Otherwise, I would skip it.

Clowns are fine.

The melanurus and red lined wrasse are close cousins. I would pick one.

Can't comment on the pike blenny

You don't want a dottyback, unless it's an orchid. Even then, they can sometimes be aggressive. Your other fish could probably hold their own against the orchid (fridmani).

A mandarin in a 40 is a tall order. You would need a mature tank with a fuge in the sump for pods to reproduce. The wrasses you picked will out compete the mandarin for pods as well. Halichoeres genus wrasses spend all day picking pods off the rocks and sand.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2019, 02:57 PM   #4
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Mandarin in a young 40?
Doubt that will work for long.
Mandarin requires thousands of Pods on a consistent basis.
They need a fully mature tank in excess of 60 with tons of live rock at least 1 year old and no direct competition.

The diamond back also requires a mature sand bed or his time will be short as well

Not a young 40. After about 6 months. I will supplement pods and be growing them in the 29 gal sump. This is just a long term stocking plan. Didn't know diamond goby needed mature sand either - thank you! Why is this?

Unread 11/14/2019, 02:59 PM   #5
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Sand sifting goby will be difficult. If you see one at a store that eats prepared foods, it may work. Otherwise, I would skip it.

Clowns are fine.

The melanurus and red lined wrasse are close cousins. I would pick one.

Can't comment on the pike blenny

You don't want a dottyback, unless it's an orchid. Even then, they can sometimes be aggressive. Your other fish could probably hold their own against the orchid (fridmani).

A mandarin in a 40 is a tall order. You would need a mature tank with a fuge in the sump for pods to reproduce. The wrasses you picked will out compete the mandarin for pods as well. Halichoeres genus wrasses spend all day picking pods off the rocks and sand.

Didnt know the wrasses were big on eating pods. O. O
I already own the dottyback and it seems to be one of the relatively laid back ones but I think ill end up placing him.
As far as the wrasses - live aquaria states that both of them are compatible with other peaceful wrasses. Is this just something they say to sell the fish?

Unread 11/14/2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
Not a young 40. After about 6 months. I will supplement pods and be growing them in the 29 gal sump. This is just a long term stocking plan. Didn't know diamond goby needed mature sand either - thank you! Why is this?
He digs the sand and filters out the micro fauna through his mouth and out his gills. He can clean a sand bed real fast unless he accepts other things. Mine never did.

If you can consistently make pods then fine, I tried this, it became quite a chore after a while. Now, I keep only one pods eater, a mandarin, never fed him once, in three years.

Too me, tank maturity begins 8-12 months after stability is maintained.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2019, 08:36 PM   #7
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
As far as the wrasses - live aquaria states that both of them are compatible with other peaceful wrasses. Is this just something they say to sell the fish?
They're not wrong in saying those wrasses are relatively peaceful fish. Although mature melanurus wrasses can be assertive. It's just that those wrasses are so closely related that I wouldn't mix them in a 40.

Firefish and cardinals are very peaceful, but they don't always tolerate their own kind.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 11/14/2019, 08:59 PM   #8
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
They're not wrong in saying those wrasses are relatively peaceful fish. Although mature melanurus wrasses can be assertive. It's just that those wrasses are so closely related that I wouldn't mix them in a 40.

Firefish and cardinals are very peaceful, but they don't always tolerate their own kind.

Ah - got it. It seems like the red line is the no brainer then - won’t eat the CUC and fits more in with the “peaceful” tank.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/14/2019, 10:05 PM   #9
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Ah - got it. It seems like the red line is the no brainer then - won’t eat the CUC and fits more in with the “peaceful” tank.
Thank you!

You're welcome. Those two fishes would have the same risk with cuc though. They're the same fish for our purposes. just slightly different color. The red lined is prettier as a juvie in my opinion.

Unread 11/14/2019, 11:18 PM   #10
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:

Thank you!

Unread 11/24/2019, 05:52 PM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

Yes: fish are not inclined to like relatives or even buddies. In anything under a hundred, you're generally better off with one of a kind, and no 'obligate exotic eaters,' like mandarins, scooters, or the like that eat only one thing, live, and in short supply. Watch your 'adult size,' and your list has done a good job of that. The only regular exceptions to the 'one' rule is clownfish or the tiniest burrowing gobies. But even so, three will end up two.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote