Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2011, 08:46 PM   #2501
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Just saw your index... Awesome!

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 09:02 PM   #2502
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoccm View Post
Thanks for the input - I have actually followed both of the threads you mentioned. I did think about doing custom order with them especially after seeing what happened to Mike's first tank from them - makes the extra eurobracing sound like a good idea!!! From everything I have read and in my efforts to get a custom quote from them it is difficult and a very long process.

To your point, my drains will be behind a wall and 3 feet back from the front display. My LFS said his distributor has 50+ starphire 300g dd tanks in his warehouse and is pricing it for me at under $1,500 because they are so overstocked.

Think I will give it a shot - can always convert to bean animal system if necessary.

Thanks again and grats on hitting 100 pages - your build has been a real inspiration.
No problem. Glad to help. My experience getting a custom quote from Marineland wasn't that bad. I just upgraded the front panel to Starfire and had them do black silicone where you could see it. Bottom and top is clear. That quote sounds awfully enticing though... Hope it all works out for you, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop-frags View Post
Just saw your index... Awesome!
Ha! Thanks Mike!!

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 01:08 AM   #2503
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Might have had a breakthrough tonight... After further research of the brown algae that has plagued my system and others', I believe this algae is definitely a variant of Cyano. It's a filamentous Cyano called Lyngbya sp.

If anyone has experience with this specific kind of algae please post with any info you can provide. Thanks!

Known
Grows in nutrient poor environments (including natural reefs)
Grows best in high flow areas
Mexican Turbos graze on it
Reacts negatively to Pohl's Coral Snow

Last edited by drummereef; 03/11/2011 at 01:23 AM.
Unread 03/11/2011, 09:12 AM   #2504
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
UPDATE:

Might have had a breakthrough tonight... After further research of the brown algae that has plagued my system and others', I believe this algae is definitely a variant of Cyano. It's a filamentous Cyano called Lyngbya sp.

If anyone has experience with this specific kind of algae please post with any info you can provide. Thanks!

Known
Grows in nutrient poor environments (including natural reefs)
Grows best in high flow areas
Mexican Turbos graze on it
Reacts negatively to Pohl's Coral Snow
Get a lawnmower blenny, sea slug or small tuxedo urchin. These guys all love various algae's. I bet they make quick work of it. Pick which you like best or try 2 of them.

I had something similiar a few weeks into my cycle and added a lawnmower & urchin & it was all gone w/in a week. Both make cool addition to a reef tank! The lawnmowers are so cool to watch the way the swim & perch & move their eyeballs!

Unread 03/11/2011, 09:26 AM   #2505
cromedogg33
Registered Member

I agree with 110.

I have a lawnmower that absolutely grazes all day long on my algae that is the same as yours. My 4 tangs destroy the stuff as well constantly. I have 0 snails in my tank at the time as well.

Lawnmower is still my favorite fish too. My brothers 3 year old calls it "the old man".

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 09:33 AM   #2506
tegee
Premium Member

+1.....ime tuxedo urchin do a number on algae on rocks. Unfortunately, my orange spotted gobie beats the crap out of blennies. So lawnmower blennies and sand sifting gobies are out until I can trap my orange spotted guy and get him out of the tank. Two tuxedo urchins will make quick work in a 180-gl.

Unread 03/11/2011, 01:55 PM   #2507
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Urchins are a bit to clumsy for my liking

Hence the reason not even snails.

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 01:57 PM   #2508
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Urchins are a bit to clumsy for my liking

Hence the reason not even snails.
They do pickup & knock over & hijack lots of little things that are not Fixed in! They also do POOP alot of the rock they much.

Unread 03/11/2011, 05:03 PM   #2509
afernandez
Never Quit!!

Humm...that sucks Brett , so we pretty
much loose on both sides.

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
afernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 10:10 PM   #2510
drummereef
Team RC Member

Haha guys! Decisions, decisions... I really like urchins but I'm afraid of them starving over time if the algae issues for some reason decide to go away. I could also see myself getting a lawnmower blenny as well, I do like those fish and my LFS usually has 1 whenever I'm in. Good suggestions guys!

What do you feed the lawnmower and urchin in an algae depleted system?

Unread 03/12/2011, 07:10 AM   #2511
psteeleb
Registered Member

Quote:
Haha guys! Decisions, decisions... I really like urchins but I'm afraid of them starving over time if the algae issues for some reason decide to go away. I could also see myself getting a lawnmower blenny as well, I do like those fish and my LFS usually has 1 whenever I'm in. Good suggestions guys!

the LMB will eat some fish foods, at least mine did, but mostly he seemed to just go after the slime algae on the glass

I had a pencil urchin in my 300g and it did no thave the algae issues I'm having on the 110, but between the urchin and tangs they may have beaten down any algae before it became an issue (or took care of it before it grew to visable levels)

I've heard that urchins will also chew on coraline

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2011, 09:05 AM   #2512
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:

I have really never had algae in this current setup or past setup. I had an urchin for years in the last one. I think they find whatever they need where ever and do fine. Mine never ate anything I feed. But they do seem to pooo lots of rock dust & fines. So they must be munchin some

As for the LM...mine has yet to eat anything (that Ive seen) I feed. He is usually just picking at rockwork or the back glass.

This is my first LM blenny, but i'd assume if he was hungry he'd eat something fedd like the seaweed i feed tangs. At least some of the pieces that break off & float around. But he hasn't. And if a piece breaks off the feed rock, my fish fish won't touch it....weird!
Oh & always hear they eat coraline, but in our size tanks I don't think you can ever notice. My last tank had more coraline than I could handle!

Unread 03/12/2011, 06:42 PM   #2513
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
the LMB will eat some fish foods, at least mine did, but mostly he seemed to just go after the slime algae on the glass

I had a pencil urchin in my 300g and it did no thave the algae issues I'm having on the 110, but between the urchin and tangs they may have beaten down any algae before it became an issue (or took care of it before it grew to visable levels)

I've heard that urchins will also chew on coraline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
I have really never had algae in this current setup or past setup. I had an urchin for years in the last one. I think they find whatever they need where ever and do fine. Mine never ate anything I feed. But they do seem to pooo lots of rock dust & fines. So they must be munchin some

As for the LM...mine has yet to eat anything (that Ive seen) I feed. He is usually just picking at rockwork or the back glass.

This is my first LM blenny, but i'd assume if he was hungry he'd eat something fedd like the seaweed i feed tangs. At least some of the pieces that break off & float around. But he hasn't. And if a piece breaks off the feed rock, my fish fish won't touch it....weird!
Oh & always hear they eat coraline, but in our size tanks I don't think you can ever notice. My last tank had more coraline than I could handle!

Good info guys. Maybe I'd be safer getting a Lawnmower then. I'm afraid as much as I like urchins a 180g just isn't big enough for one, size and nutritionally. Unless there's a variety that stay rather small-ish.

Unread 03/12/2011, 07:32 PM   #2514
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Good info guys. Maybe I'd be safer getting a Lawnmower then. I'm afraid as much as I like urchins a 180g just isn't big enough for one, size and nutritionally. Unless there's a variety that stay rather small-ish.
get a blue tuxedo or colored pincushion urchin.....they stay about the size of a golf ball, and they can be easily picked up by your hand & moved.

They have pointy spines, but they dont poke you if you grab them slowly & gently.

Get the lawnmover for sure! you like it either way and no issues.

Last edited by 110galreef; 03/12/2011 at 07:40 PM.
110galreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2011, 09:50 PM   #2515
drummereef
Team RC Member

The Blue Tuxedos are really cool. I'm going to be on the lookout for one of those for sure.

Unread 03/13/2011, 07:45 AM   #2516
tegee
Premium Member

Brett....I have had a pincushion in each of my 180's for several years with no issues. Actually it is recommended to have two in a tank this size, but I have always got away with one. The one I have now just roams around slowly eating away GHA on my rockwork and sometimes on the walls, but rarely. He stays on rockwork most of the time.

IMO, if you frags are mounted nicely they will not move them and, from my experience, do not harm sps frags in any other way. I really enjoy viewing them in a reef environment.

I believe the Royal urchins/Mespilia spp. stay the smallest, followed by Tripneustes spp.

HTH

Unread 03/13/2011, 09:13 AM   #2517
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee View Post
Brett....I have had a pincushion in each of my 180's for several years with no issues. Actually it is recommended to have two in a tank this size, but I have always got away with one. The one I have now just roams around slowly eating away GHA on my rockwork and sometimes on the walls, but rarely. He stays on rockwork most of the time.

IMO, if you frags are mounted nicely they will not move them and, from my experience, do not harm sps frags in any other way. I really enjoy viewing them in a reef environment.

I believe the Royal urchins/Mespilia spp. stay the smallest, followed by Tripneustes spp.

HTH
Great info tegee. I'll be on the lookout for a blue tuxedo/pincushion.

Unread 03/13/2011, 09:26 AM   #2518
110galreef
Registered Member

the blue tuxedo also seem to have very short & almost soft spines, the pincushion are a bit longer & spikier. I have had both. I really prefer the BLUE tuxedo's for their colors unless you can find some cool colored pincushion urchins. My LFS had one that has a deep green sections with white & orange spikes. So i added him to my tank! Neat colorings opposed to the typical bland pincushion

Unread 03/13/2011, 09:59 AM   #2519
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
the blue tuxedo also seem to have very short & almost soft spines, the pincushion are a bit longer & spikier. I have had both. I really prefer the BLUE tuxedo's for their colors unless you can find some cool colored pincushion urchins. My LFS had one that has a deep green sections with white & orange spikes. So i added him to my tank! Neat colorings opposed to the typical bland pincushion
Cool! I think I'm heading to the LFS today and see what they have. I think they have a Lawnmower for sure but I'll report back.

Unread 03/13/2011, 10:05 AM   #2520
drummereef
Team RC Member

Is the species of Lawnmower I'm looking for, Salarias fasciatus?

Unread 03/13/2011, 10:33 AM   #2521
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
Is the species of Lawnmower I'm looking for, Salarias fasciatus?

Yes.....

Unread 03/13/2011, 10:34 AM   #2522
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee View Post
Yes.....
Live Aquaria says they might nip at the bottom of SPS but I'm assuming this is just precautionary right?

Unread 03/13/2011, 11:49 AM   #2523
Taqpol
Registered Member

I love urchins and have always had at least one in my tank. The pincushion and tuxedo urchins stay small, eat lots of algae, and come in a lot of very cool colors. Both are said to eat coraline algae, which I like since I like keeping my glass completely free of the stuff. I would recommend getting one of each kind, as my tuxedo has always had more affinity for the glass and my pincushion has always had more affinity for the rocks and hides a lot.

I've also heard lawnmower blennies can get very mean, particularly towards similarly shaped fish (other blennies and gobies). That being said, I've always thought that starry blennies were gorgeous and were not supposed to get as mean as other varieties.

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 12:30 PM   #2524
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
I love urchins and have always had at least one in my tank. The pincushion and tuxedo urchins stay small, eat lots of algae, and come in a lot of very cool colors. Both are said to eat coraline algae, which I like since I like keeping my glass completely free of the stuff. I would recommend getting one of each kind, as my tuxedo has always had more affinity for the glass and my pincushion has always had more affinity for the rocks and hides a lot.

I've also heard lawnmower blennies can get very mean, particularly towards similarly shaped fish (other blennies and gobies). That being said, I've always thought that starry blennies were gorgeous and were not supposed to get as mean as other varieties.

Thanks for the info Alex. I agree, the Starry Blenny is a great looking fish. I will probably get a Lawnmower just to add to the clean up crew. I've never been big into blennys and gobies so I don't think it will be a problem down the road. I plan on adding some wrasses and a few other fish and inverts so hopefully they'll all get along.

Unread 03/13/2011, 06:04 PM   #2525
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Live Aquaria says they might nip at the bottom of SPS but I'm assuming this is just precautionary right?
Have yet to see my LM nip at an SPS base.....

So did you get one from the LFS?