Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/15/2009, 03:24 PM   #326
kcress
Registered Member

It could last a long time if the board temp is low. That's why I'm curious as to what it is.

Unread 03/15/2009, 08:27 PM   #327
Soundwave
Registered Member

It may be just fine at 750. I will bet that it does get warm but probably not enough to hurt it too bad.

How did you bend the acrylic into domes? I've done a lot of bending but no domes.

Unread 03/15/2009, 09:04 PM   #328
dtech
Registered Member

I've done it 2 different ways/
1) sandwich acrylic between 2 boards small hole on 1 board with air hose fitting adapted, larger hole in 2nd board, heat and use air pressure from air hose.
2) sandwich acrylic holes in boards the max diameter of need, heat acrylic and use a ball or such to set on acrylic and let sink, The 1 I did this way I used a pool ball and a heat gun from the bottom side to control the heat a bit.
Just a couple I have tried.

Unread 03/15/2009, 09:04 PM   #329
dtech
Registered Member

I've done it 2 different ways/
1) sandwich acrylic between 2 boards small hole on 1 board with air hose fitting adapted, larger hole in 2nd board, heat and use air pressure from air hose.
2) sandwich acrylic holes in boards the max diameter of need, heat acrylic and use a ball or such to set on acrylic and let sink, The 1 I did this way I used a pool ball and a heat gun from the bottom side to control the heat a bit.
Just a couple I have tried.

Unread 03/15/2009, 09:05 PM   #330
Soundwave
Registered Member

Nice. Thanks.

Unread 03/15/2009, 09:32 PM   #331
stugray
Premium Member

Soundwave,

"It may be just fine at 750. I will bet that it does get warm but probably not enough to hurt it too bad."

Yeah, that's why I run it that way. Below the rating...
If I stick my finger inside the dome, the star is hot but not blistering.

"How did you bend the acrylic into domes? I've done a lot of bending but no domes."

I used the exact method dtech mentions above, with the air pressure.
You just need a pressure regulator that you can adjust gradually, and a heat gun.

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
Unread 03/15/2009, 09:50 PM   #332
Soundwave
Registered Member

Got it. Don't know when I'll use it, but I understand. Thanks.

Unread 03/15/2009, 10:22 PM   #333
kcress
Registered Member

stugray; How long can you hold your finger on the back?

Unread 03/15/2009, 10:22 PM   #334
dawgdude1150
Registered Member

Ive been following this for quite some time and have to applaud Soundwave and would like to extent a great thanks for the write up. I would really like to put some kind of set up like this over a 30 cube and have a question for you gurus to help me with.

You posted previously that the 6500k does not have any yellow as you would expect from other bulbs. However I am curious as to if the corals would get the proper spectrum of light. I have read other DIY threads where they used green and red mixed in to supplement the spectrum of light. Have you noticed any differences in your corals and do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for the write up and kudos!

Happy Reefing.

Unread 03/15/2009, 10:46 PM   #335
puck3
Registered Member

Hey soundwave, just wanted to say ive read and researched this thread alot over the past week and am planning on diving into this myself. I have a 65 gallon tank...3ft by 2ft and am wondering if you had any suggestion on the amount of led's I might need. should I put 48 like you have done or do u think I will need less, I was planning on using wide angle optics with the setup.

Unread 03/15/2009, 11:02 PM   #336
Soundwave
Registered Member

I'm going with the wide Carclo optics from LEDsupply. I would just do the same amount as myself given your dimensions. You could actually rotate my arrays 90 degrees giving you more front to back spread and a little less width spread.

dawgdude: You can add any color you want. I just don't exactly know the benefits of doing so. The only differences are that they are growing at a faster pace than when I had PCs. I'm not saying things are outgrowing the tank but a 1/4" of growth on a monti cap in about a week is far faster than with my PCs

Time will tell what the overall effect is. I hope to see my blue palys color up like when I bought them but who knows.

Unread 03/16/2009, 04:57 AM   #337
tahiriqbal
Sialkot

110% great work......... just need to find out the results on coral growth......keep us updated sir...

Current Tank Info: 56cm x 56cm x 56cm
Unread 03/16/2009, 02:35 PM   #338
dawgdude1150
Registered Member

Here is an article I found that analyzes the spectrum of one of the LED fixtures and looks at the 6500K White and Blue LEDs spectrural output independantly. The long and short is that the 6500K covers the green and red spectrums well enough that I dont see any need to supplement green or red into the setup.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/review#h4

Unread 03/16/2009, 09:12 PM   #339
puck3
Registered Member

I was also wondering...what actually is the purpose of the heatsinks? Ive only seen them used before on ballasts used to radiate away heat. But the led's arent supposed to generate that much heat... is there any reason you cant use just a regular piece of sheet metal?

Unread 03/16/2009, 09:40 PM   #340
Soundwave
Registered Member

The cooler they are, the longer they last. I figured I wouldn't take any chances.

Unread 03/16/2009, 09:49 PM   #341
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

can anybody recommend a good 2-wire quick disconnect that would make it easier to wire up multiple small fixtures inside of a canopy?

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
Unread 03/16/2009, 10:22 PM   #342
stugray
Premium Member

"can anybody recommend a good 2-wire quick disconnect"

I actually found them in HD near the wirenuts.
They are for flourescent lights.

Or you can order these:

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1419

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
Unread 03/17/2009, 10:34 AM   #343
dtech
Registered Member

There are some nice 2 wire connectors at the hobby store for R/C cars that work great for small areas and wiring etc.

Unread 03/17/2009, 10:43 AM   #344
rcgates
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefEnabler
can anybody recommend a good 2-wire quick disconnect that would make it easier to wire up multiple small fixtures inside of a canopy?
weather resistant, 2 connector cables:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...erproof/1.html

Unread 03/17/2009, 10:52 AM   #345
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

thanks for those links

rcgates, this seems very close to what I am looking for.

Except its only 12" leads. My buckpucks are probably going to be around 6' from the LEDs, since I want them in a box on top of my canopy, so the wires will have to snake around the back and hug corners etc.

Would it be simple to replace the leads?

Stu, the one you posted looks great and has 30ft leads solid copper.... you think it would be ok to use inside an aquarium canopy??

Also, is 18 Gauge Solid Copper Wire something that could be soldered onto a luxeon star base??

The technical data for a buckpuck says thicker wire should be used if the LED's are far from the buckpuck, would I need thicker than 18guage for a ~6' distance?

Maybe better off with some automotive ones like this (one per wire) and just crimp in my own leads??

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic

Last edited by ReefEnabler; 03/17/2009 at 10:59 AM.
Unread 03/17/2009, 11:10 AM   #346
rcgates
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefEnabler
thanks for those links

rcgates, this seems very close to what I am looking for.

Except its only 12" leads. My buckpucks are probably going to be around 6' from the LEDs, since I want them in a box on top of my canopy, so the wires will have to snake around the back and hug corners etc.

Would it be simple to replace the leads?

Stu, the one you posted looks great and has 30ft leads solid copper.... you think it would be ok to use inside an aquarium canopy??

Also, is 18 Gauge Solid Copper Wire something that could be soldered onto a luxeon star base??

The technical data for a buckpuck says thicker wire should be used if the LED's are far from the buckpuck, would I need thicker than 18guage for a ~6' distance?

Maybe better off with some automotive ones like this (one per wire) and just crimp in my own leads??

Thanks!
The website has different length leads, up to 48". You can always splice in additional length of wire if needed.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...48-WIRE/1.html

Unread 03/17/2009, 11:14 AM   #347
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

man I must be horrible at finding stuff! thanks

ya I know I can splice it but its so much nicer to just buy one with the leads already set to go

I think I should have everything this week. Ordered some buck pucks, Luxeon Rebel Tri-Emitter stars and some royal blue stars... and the heatsinks, should be fun!

Unread 03/17/2009, 03:05 PM   #348
Soundwave
Registered Member

What heatsinks did you get?

Unread 03/17/2009, 08:02 PM   #349
Doahh
Registered Member

Look up Deans Connectors...

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Custom SW Reef
Unread 03/17/2009, 10:05 PM   #350
Giga
Registered Member

hmmmm NOt sure what to do for my new tank now. I'm going with a 20"x20"x18" cubish tank and might want to do LED if I can go sps with them and get decent coverage-any Ideas?

Current Tank Info: cool
Closed Thread