Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2018, 07:14 PM   #1
gord 23
Registered Member

water changes

If I have RO water access how often should I do water changes and how much per change? This is for a lightly stocked 75 gal salt tank.

gord 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 07:31 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Answered here..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2688513
No need to double post around here..

Unread 12/20/2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Seasidenj
Registered Member

Must of us do a 10 percent water change a week

Seasidenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 08:19 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

90g here with 15g WC every other week. Occasionally I do a 20g if I'm feeling froggy.

Unread 12/20/2018, 02:19 PM   #5
reeftivo
Skim junkie

10% when on weekly schedule. 15% when i get thrown off a bit due to work, family and vacations.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2018, 12:18 AM   #6
candymancan
Registered Member.

My 60g hex i do 0 water changes. I did 0 when it was on my 27g hex as well, its packed with small corals as well. My tank is a basic tank, no protien skimmer, no canister, no overflow, no sump. Just a HOB, little surface eheim surface skimmer for the oil/protein layer the surface can get. and a bunch of power heads.

The only "advanced" thing i have for the tank would be the 4 liter reactor packed with seachem denitrate and matrix. I guess you could call it a homemade canister. Its connected to my 20 year old eheim 1060 ? pond pump, and the outflow is only 40gph tops. I have that connected to a 36w UV sterilizer. The denitrate keeps my nitrates at 0-10ppm depending how much i feed.

I havent had any corals die, in fact my acro's, zoas, monti's and so forth are all growing well. No issues with the fish either, my phosphates are about 0.25ppm.

I honestly havent been doing this very long but I dont think 0 00 0 0 0 0 everything is really needed for a reef. I noticed doing re-search that alot of successful well known tanks and even big aquariums you visit have nitrates and phosphates. People have noticed corals do better with some then without. So im not gonna bother with expensive equipment.

As for the water changes, unless my calcium and alk goes to 9 or under i wont bother with water changes, i have seachem 2 step dosing and ill just use that. And i have seachems purigen.

I know reefers are concerned with TDS, but until my corals or fish tell me otherwise ill save my money on salt.

My other tank has no way to remove nitrates so they build up, it has no corals just fish so ill do like a 50% water change if the nitrates get too high

candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote