Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2017, 07:09 PM   #1
welsher7
Registered Member

Reef Flo skimmers

I'm m setting up a new tank with an old H&S a150 recirculating skimmer, it uses an aqua bee pump that you can't find any more. So knowing if pump goes it can't be replaced I've been looking at skimmers in on the auction site and on the forums. I came across a Reef Flo 250 that I may be able to pick up at reasonable price. When I had my last tank setup these skimmers were the bee's knees, but I don't see them used on a lot of tanks now. Are the newer skimmers that much better or are the Reef Flo just older and out dated?

Current Tank Info: A rebuilding year.....
welsher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 09:41 PM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

What do you mean by Reef Flo? You mean like an Orca skimmer? If so, they are HUGE skimmer that I do not think work very well and never have. You can do better and could when they were new, IMO. If not, then please pass along some more info.

Your H&S is as good as anything today. If the AquaBee goes, just get a red dragon, sicce or some other good pump to replace it - it might be a pain to plumb in, but it will still perform. You can still find some AquaBees from Europe if you want to ship a spare and shelve it.

I still use early 2000 skimmers. They outperform most the new ones today and are as good as the rest - except for maybe the $1000+ specialty ones.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote