Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2009, 12:11 AM   #26
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Quote:
Cody,

My Scopas was an algae pig. How about yours?
He took a little while to get after it, but he took care of the small bit I had in my tank in no time. He goes through Nori like a fat kid goes through cake though! He also pigs out on the frozen stuff I feed the tank.
He's no bully though. He ignores my yellow watchman and refuses to back down from my cinnamon clown (about as big as the tang), but never shows signs of aggression. They're the only two fish in the tank aside from him. I feel like I'm pushing the 33g's limits with the big clown (3" or so) and this tang. Plus the 33g is going into a BC 14 in about 2 months, so no more fish. The clown will be rehomed and the goby will be off to my 14g with the pair of baby clarkii clowns in there now.

but I ramble...back to George's split!

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 12:13 AM   #27
elijaher
Registered Member

Congrats on the split.

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 04:38 AM   #28
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Quote:
Originally posted by gmneil
congrats on the split. how do you like the apex?
I love the Apex - the controller itself is very user friendly and easy to program. The only problem I am having is connecting to the internet to enable online monitoring and control.

That is not an Apex issue; it is a problem with the owner

I'm working on it though...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 04:57 AM   #29
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Thanks to everyone for the split...

I've watched many of the large tank threads make a split, and thought it was so cool... I learned so much from those threads, where many people add their input and experiences while following along with the thread OP (original poster).

When I began this thread in May, I had no idea it would make a split, let alone in less than 90 days!

Thanks to the many folks who contributed and are still tagging along...

More to come...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Unread 08/04/2009, 05:44 AM   #30
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

CLOSED LOOP running!

Last evening, I removed all of the front panels from the stand (so I could quickly detect any plumbing issues)

I opened the manifold valves and fired up the Barracuda Gold pump which operates the system's closed loop system.

I am pleased to report - still no leaks, and lots of flow. Our concern has always been the 1" flexible PVC that was used though the flow side of the system. (See: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...&pagenumber=20 )

The fish were freaked out at first and retreated to their hidey holes...but this morning, everything looks back to normal.

The plan is to run the closed loop during all daylight hours, and just the Vortech MP40's at night...

Nighttime on the reef with the moonlights...the surface motion in the photo is from the closed loop's five returns utilizing 1" Pacific Coast Flow Accelerators:

LL

Last edited by Lightsluvr; 08/04/2009 at 05:49 AM.
Unread 08/04/2009, 07:00 AM   #31
OkR33Fer
Registered Member

You're going to have to forward the port for the apex. While in the router's admin menu, go to the forwarding tab, it should be pretty easy to fumble thru.

Unread 08/04/2009, 08:18 AM   #32
aquainas
Registered Member

Looks like that flex pvc is working out well George...PM me if you need help getting the controller set up for remote monitoring.

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
aquainas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 09:47 AM   #33
GlassReef
Got Reef

Sorry I'm so late on this George, but congratulations on your SPLIT! It's been an absolute super thread!

BTW - I'm so jealous that you already have you Apex.

I ordered mine a while ago, but nothing yet. I always was a day late and dollar short.

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
GlassReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 10:15 AM   #34
Eleez
Registered Member

Wow! Everything looks fantastic! great job....and I can't wait for the next update!

Eleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 10:19 AM   #35
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Apex

Quote:
Originally posted by GlassReef
Sorry I'm so late on this George, but congratulations on your SPLIT! It's been an absolute super thread!

BTW - I'm so jealous that you already have you Apex.

I ordered mine a while ago, but nothing yet. I always was a day late and dollar short.
I ordered June 1 from Neptune. Retailer orders still waiting. Neptune appears to be caught up on direct orders. If you ordered from them, you might call and inquire.

LL

Unread 08/04/2009, 10:20 AM   #36
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Quote:
Originally posted by aquainas
Looks like that flex pvc is working out well George...PM me if you need help getting the controller set up for remote monitoring.
PM sent.

I need help - feel like I am chasing my tail... (sorry, I have been around cats too long...)

LL

Unread 08/04/2009, 04:36 PM   #37
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Baby steps...

We got our friend Chris back to the house today to install tile in front of the tank.

Chris scoping out the job:

Cutting tile and getting it right the first time:

Finished tile glued into place - from left of tank:

and right side of the tank:

Chris will be back tomorrow to grout the tile and finish the job...

The door panels were shipped today from the millwright in Texas - should arrive Friday.

LL

Unread 08/04/2009, 04:40 PM   #38
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

A few fish pics

While I had the camera out taking pictures of the tile job, I snapped a few of the fish friends who were curious about activity near the tank (could it be feeding time?)

That last one is our very plump Christmas Wrasse...

LL

Unread 08/05/2009, 04:02 AM   #39
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Thanks!

Thanks! to Aquinas for working with me on the telephone last night to re-think the internet connection problems I was experiencing with Apex. It turns out I was just trying to make it too difficult.

Following Curt's instructions (and the owner's manual), I set up a dynamic dns address for the internet. I linked the address to my router where the Apex is connected by an Ethernet cable.

Then I typed the new dns into the address line of my internet browser. That opened up a new window requesting a username and password. Well, I tried the usernames and passwords for the dns, the router and every other combination I could imagine. Nothing happened.

Aquinas worked through the issue with me, and agreed it appeared that we had done everything to make a connection. Finally, a light bulb came on, and I typed in the Apex controller's default username and password...Voila! Success!

A Home Simpson moment... Doh!!

After customizing the Apex username and password, all is working great. I now have the capability to control most of the Apex's functions and monitor the modules from anywhere in the world where I have internet access...

Next step, the iPhone...

LL

Unread 08/05/2009, 07:47 AM   #40
edandsandy
Registered Member

Glad to hear you are connected!

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
edandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2009, 08:18 AM   #41
aquainas
Registered Member

It was my pleasure to share in that moment...We all have those at some point.....Now you just need to setup a web cam and stream the video so you can watch the tank while at work. After the iPhone maybe?

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
Unread 08/05/2009, 09:46 AM   #42
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Quote:
It was my pleasure to share in that moment...We all have those at some point.....Now you just need to setup a web cam and stream the video so you can watch the tank while at work. After the iPhone maybe?
Actually I have had a wireless webcam for quite some time. Since I reset the router, it is not connecting to the internet, so I need to go in and reset the camera. That requires connecting it to a computer hard-wired into the router. I'll put it on my list of things to do...

Again, thanks for the brain-storming last night.

LL

Unread 08/05/2009, 10:15 AM   #43
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Reef Cam

URL: http://lightsluvraq.viewnetcam.com:50000

Username - Aquarist (with a capitol A)
Password - oklareef

If you are asked to install an Active-X file, this enables pan, tilt and zoom functions. Click yes or accept.

Currently the cam is set up in temporary spot in the fish room. It points to the business end of the tank system right now... (the back). Of course a lot of reefers find this to be the most interesting part, anyway...

It will be moved from time to time, eventually finding a permanent home in front of the display tank.

LL

Last edited by Lightsluvr; 08/05/2009 at 10:21 AM.
Unread 08/05/2009, 10:25 AM   #44
aquainas
Registered Member

Oh yeah that's what I'm talking about!

Unread 08/05/2009, 10:33 AM   #45
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Quote:
Oh yeah that's what I'm talking about!
The camera is still sitting on a step ladder where I temporarily hard-wired it into the router to get it updated... pretty cool picture, if I do say so myself... you can pan almost the entire system, left to right.

LL

Unread 08/05/2009, 10:42 AM   #46
aquainas
Registered Member

I know...I could see the bubbles in the skimmer chamber!!

Unread 08/05/2009, 10:47 AM   #47
aquainas
Registered Member

George...what did you think of the drawings I posted on my thread? I've been trying to keep the updates coming but I've been so busy the last week.

Unread 08/05/2009, 10:49 AM   #48
edandsandy
Registered Member

George, that webcam is COOL!
My B-day is coming up, I might have to ask for one of those

In your sump, what is that plastic thing floating???
The pipe in the sump looks like it goes through the wall, is this how you do your water change out?

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
edandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2009, 12:13 PM   #49
melev
Moved On

I like playing with the webcam. That is a lot of fun. I logged off in case someone else wanted to play.

aquainas - I may need to ask for an assist as well. Since changing from DSL to U-verse, I no longer have my AC3 connected to the web. I've made some changes, but no luck so far.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2009, 12:21 PM   #50
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Quote:
Originally posted by edandsandy
George, that webcam is COOL!
My B-day is coming up, I might have to ask for one of those

In your sump, what is that plastic thing floating???
The pipe in the sump looks like it goes through the wall, is this how you do your water change out?
You are very observant. The Web-Cam is a Panasonic BL-C131A

The plastic thing floating in the sump is just a plastic shoe box filled with SW that I am storing some loose zoanthids in until I can get them mounted to a rock... (I've torn down my old frag tank)

Yes the pipe goes through the wall. That is where the water change waste goes to a sewer cleanout outside.

LL