Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2017, 06:50 PM   #1
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Question Labeling hanna phosphate vials

Hello RC,

I have a Hanna phosphate tester and want to label the vials to ensure no contamination between sampling. Does anyone know how the meter reads the samples? Reason that I am asking is because I have to use both vials due to the meter shutting off after 2 minutes. In the instructions it states that you must mix the powder in the vial for 2 minutes, so I just use two vials instead of one. One with the blank, or standard, and the other with the sample to be analyzed. Would a label made by a label maker with "S" for sample and "B" for blank work if I put the label towards the top of the vial? I will label the caps as well to ensure no contamination there.

Not sure if anyone has had experience with this or not. Thanks in advance RC.

-Jon

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 07:27 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

You need to use the same vial for zeroing and for testing, otherwise the calibration might not be correct. I haven't used that meter, so I don't know where the light beam is directed, personally.

Unread 03/20/2017, 09:06 PM   #3
morgank
Registered Member

I have the ulr one, and it is indeed a tight window....I find if I have the packet cut open and timer app open it is doable though. Definitely frustrating, but doable. I don't know for the life of me why they didn't make that shutoff longer.

morgank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 12:13 AM   #4
Dan_P
Registered Member

I timed the shut off window for the ULR Checker at close to three minutes. Dissolution of the reagent takes about one minute. You might find using a blank will give an incorrect zero no matter how hard you try.

One solution for quickly getting the reagent into the test vial is to open the reagent packet before you start zeroing as someone has already suggested. To speed up the addition of the reagent to the vial, use a small funnel or what I do is to dump the reagent onto a two inch square of wax paper. When it is time to add the reagent, I pick up the opposite sides of the square to form a narrow "trough" and pour in the powder, tapping gently to get the powder flowing. I have gotten the time down to about 1.5 minutes for reagent addition plus one minute of shaking to dissolve the reagent.

I found the procedure a little fussy and the shut off window a bit tight, but oversll I like the Checker.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 06:47 AM   #5
air2mag
Registered Member

I do the same as morgank. I have the reagent package cut open and shaped into a funnel before I start the test. I also did numerous test mixing for two minutes and 1.5 minutes. I got the exact same test results.

air2mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 09:09 AM   #6
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Yeah, that's what I do. It is frustrating that it turns off so quickly. I might hit up Hanna to see what their take is on it. Thanks

Unread 03/21/2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Vinno
Registered Member

2mins? Did you get the early model?

Mine is 3mins on both low range phosphate and ultra low phospahate.

Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 11:56 AM   #8
air2mag
Registered Member

I just purchased my UL checker in January and the instructions say two minutes. I haven't ever timed it though. Maybe it's three.

Unread 03/21/2017, 01:23 PM   #9
Mohammed
Registered Member

Hi,
Have the sachet cut open and ready to go as most said. Open your stop watch on your phone and switch on the unit. Add C1 appears. Place vial with the 10ml facing you and start the stopwatch as soon as C2 appears. Remove vial and add contents of sachet. Gently tilt the vial to mix the powder and once 1min 50 sec is reached on your stopwatch, long press the button on the unit to start a 3 minute count down. I usually mix for another 20 sec and then return the vial to the unit with the 10ml mark facing me. Now just wait for the countdown and your phos reading will appear in ppb if u habe the ulr checker. Multiply the amount to 3.066 and divide by 1000 to gt ppm.

HTH

Mohammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 01:32 PM   #10
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed View Post
Hi,
Have the sachet cut open and ready to go as most said. Open your stop watch on your phone and switch on the unit. Add C1 appears. Place vial with the 10ml facing you and start the stopwatch as soon as C2 appears. Remove vial and add contents of sachet. Gently tilt the vial to mix the powder and once 1min 50 sec is reached on your stopwatch, long press the button on the unit to start a 3 minute count down. I usually mix for another 20 sec and then return the vial to the unit with the 10ml mark facing me. Now just wait for the countdown and your phos reading will appear in ppb if u habe the ulr checker. Multiply the amount to 3.066 and divide by 1000 to gt ppm.

HTH
Exactly how I do it, I invert and swirl until the timer reaches 20 sec and then just give the vial a gentle tap on the bottom to dislodge any bubbles and wipe it down before putting it in the tester (10ml facing me).

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 01:32 PM   #11
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Thanks Mohammed! Just wanted to use one vial for the "blank" and the other for "sample" (one that has powder) from now on. I might just get a marker and mark the top and vial to differentiate the two vials.

Going to print out your instructions and put them in the box for future reference, thanks! :-)

Unread 03/22/2017, 02:37 PM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

Only somewhat related, but I am going to ask

Does anyone experience that sometimes it can take 30+ seconds for the ULR unit to read the sample water and switch to C2? Usually it is just a couple of seconds.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 03:41 PM   #13
Khazmodain
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post

Does anyone experience that sometimes it can take 30+ seconds for the ULR unit to read the sample water and switch to C2? Usually it is just a couple of seconds.
My LR tester will occasionally do that. No clue why it sometimes takes longer.

Khazmodain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 04:34 PM   #14
RAMABAMA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazmodain View Post
My LR tester will occasionally do that. No clue why it sometimes takes longer.
Mine does sometimes

RAMABAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 01:50 AM   #15
Mohammed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post

Yes mine does it as well, i notice on subsequent test the wait is much shorter though.

Mohammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 04:36 AM   #16
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

using 2 different vials will not be a correct reading. one vial can have more iron in glass second less making the color transparent to us but a minor difference will cause the unit itself to read incorrectly.
i always have the packet opened and ready while unit sits at C2 for 3 min before turning off then u can press the button and it will have a 3 min timer start. you can still mix gently and place the vial back in. thats over 5 min to mix and get it inside the unit.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 06:02 AM   #17
Optionman
Registered Member

Before starting, take a business card or piece of paper, crease it, and dump the contents of reagent packet on it. This saves time and makes it easier to pour powder into vile. I shake for solid 90 seconds and then tap away any bubbles before putting back in unit and starting 3 min countdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 09:16 AM   #18
air2mag
Registered Member

Mine does the same thing. It seems to be completely random when it does it.

Unread 03/26/2017, 06:03 AM   #19
jh2pizza
Registered Member

Are the Vials always going to be off? I have always used two vials, but when I first started I tested the results by reversing their roles and it was the same. My thoughts were that if it was slightly of, it would be a repeatable difference so if it was off .005 due to glass variation, it would always be off 005.

Am I missing something?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 180 in wall, 100 sump, Geo Kalk Reactor, Tunze 9415 skimmer, Geo Media Reactors, Geo 624 CA Reactor
jh2pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 02:55 PM   #20
bertoni
RC Mod

If calibration with one vial and testing with the other is working for you, the only issue is keeping the vials equally clean over time. I'd probably do a few more tests to be sure, at the very least, though.