Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2011, 09:34 PM   #26
AquaticEngineer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba-al View Post
What do you have stocked in them? (Pictures if you can, I need some additional ideas and inspiration)
Heres a link to my photobucket of cold water tanks and one of the more recent pictures.
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...water%20tanks/

Quote:
Originally Posted by huig View Post
Thanks

Barnacles need to be fed otherwise they starve at cold temperatures this takes quite long.
In winter when plankton levels are low they are more or less fasted.
Build and inline auto feeder and it will solve a lot of the feeding problems. I did mine for under $60 total.

Quote:
My tank is ~65 F, that's about 18.33 C. Pholis gunnellus aren't native to NJ and no place offers them up for sale... It's a shame, they're beautiful :P
And if your looking for gunnels, I'll let you in on a little secret
Ribbed Gunnel (Pholis gunnellus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
The trick to pipefish is keeping them fed. No worse than Seahorses. So that means lots of dedication to feeding
See above Auto feeder is your friend.

Quote:
And I must ask: what makes Pholis so great? I imagine they're easy to feed (worms, crustaceans, small fish) and they look great. But besides that, is there anything else? Does anyone have experience keeping them? Thanks
The one I have in my tank I caught myself during a -1.7 tide he is about 12" now. Mine takes food right out of my hand and will eat anything from shrimp to dried nori.

AquaticEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2011, 07:24 AM   #27
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticEngineer View Post
And if your looking for gunnels, I'll let you in on a little secret
Ribbed Gunnel (Pholis gunnellus)
I need to bust Kevin's chops on having the wrong species name. Pholis gunnellus is my local species of gunnel

Quote:
See above Auto feeder is your friend.
Indeed

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2011, 11:08 AM   #28
AquaticEngineer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
I need to bust Kevin's chops on having the wrong species name. Pholis gunnellus is my local species of gunnel
I was just giving you guys a link to Divers Den that shows that you can purchase temperate water gunnels from Japan.

It very well could be Pholis Gunnellus in all of these locations. I've found distribution maps that say it occurs only in the Atlantic, and then others that show it occuring in the Pacific.

I've caught 3 different species of gunnels here in Oregon, and of those 3 species I have found at least 10 different color or pattern morphs.

Check out this link to fishbase.org to get more details on gunnels.
http://www.fishbase.us/identificatio...p?genus=Pholis

Unread 07/28/2011, 11:26 AM   #29
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Everything reliable I've seen on Pholis gunnellus points to it being strictly North Atlantic in distribution. Also being in the southern part of it's range, temps in the mid to high 70's are too warm for the species to tolerate. There are however several Pholis species found on the Japanese coast, some of which to range far enough south to expect they would tolerate the temp range that Diver's Den suggests.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Pholis-gunnellus.html

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2011, 09:44 PM   #30
scuba-al
Registered Member

Update: I added two hermit crabs. Some Ulva is dying, two pieces are left. Went to Sandy Hook a week and a half ago to get some fish, all I caught whilst seining were killies (Fundulus heteroclitus) and silversides (M. menidia). I took two killies home, they're practically indestructible
The two killies stick to each other and I see them more and more each day, especially around feeding time. Some stray pieces of red/brown algae were floating around, I "planted" those in the sand bed, I'll see how those do :P
I'm currently planning a dive trip in September with a friend, so there's another opportunity to collect stuff from the Shark River Inlet, which has more life than you'd expect (spider crabs, a few anemones, fish, fish fish, fish, loads of starfish, and sea urchins). I need more algae... I need new lights.
Pholis from Maine, you say? http://www.gulfofme.com/proddetail.php?prod=LS2806
Mwahahaha! $20 a pop plus overnight shipping = a rather expensive fish buuut I may possibly be getting a northern red anemone (genus Urticina) so the shipping won't seem so outrageous http://www.gulfofme.com/proddetail.php?prod=LS2209-23
I need to read into these creatures more. As for the Japanese gunnel, the bioload would be INSANE (a 1 foot long fish (granted, eel-like)) in a 28 gallon? That doesn't fly

As for plumose anemones, they're pretty and white and non-photosynthetic. You know what I'm thinking of doing on my next dive trip I'll do my best to keep you updated as to new livestock and my algae garden in the sand bed.

scuba-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2011, 03:47 PM   #31
Al
Registered Member

Here's an interesting cold water reef / diy project:

http://www.jonolavsakvarium.com/blog/index.html

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2011, 11:28 PM   #32
scuba-al
Registered Member

I just saw this and yes, that^ was the link which made me seriously consider changing to temperate reef! I really loved the algae, but unfortunately not too much is left (browns, reds, and one piece of ulva are thriving). The fish are alive still but the tank is somewhat dull, only two small fish are there. I need to go collecting again -_-

scuba-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2017, 10:23 PM   #33
ranafrg4224
Registered Member

Local Tank

Hello! Are you still collecting for a local tank? Ive had success with a local tank in the Brick/point area for about 5 years now. I just went out to the canal and scored some nice specimens! I have a 75 gal. bow front and am running an Aqua top 550 canister. I also built a protein skimmer that is very effective. I'd love to compare notes. email me at wsorren@live.com

ranafrg4224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2017, 11:42 PM   #34
AquaticEngineer
Registered Member

Hit me up any time I keep a large temperate system with west coast species.

There is also a facebook group of temperate and coldwater keepers you should check out

www.facebook.com/groups/coldwaterowners

Current Tank Info: Coldwater Cube thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2358372 Timelapse video of the tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IW8Z7eBPI