Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2010, 01:20 PM   #1
weeftard
Registered Member

My First SPS!!! Need advice

Im curious if i should move my sps closer to my lighting. I am afraid to move them up higher because of how amazing they are doing on the bottom. Right now they are all just small frags but are growing at an awesome rate. I have a 2 acro's, an oregon tort, green tort, purple pocillapora, and a montipora cap. I want to move them and hope to get more growth but I dont want to shock them. I have them under 2 250w 15k single end xm bulbs over my 75 gal tank. The tort i have has such awsome extention it makes the ones on display at my LFS look bad. They all have been in there for between 2 months and 2 weeks for the newer ones. My lfs told me to leave them be if they are happy. So im stuck for what to do !!! What risk do i face moving them up???

weeftard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Ding2daDong
Registered Member

slowly move them up. If you see them start to brown/bleach out then move them back. Just do it slowly and you should be fine. Also keep an eye on your water parameters and lots of in direct flow.

Sounds like you know what your doing already so good luck.

-Matthew

Ding2daDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Atomikk
SPS OG

How deep is their color? Is it deep or light? And how about polyp extension? Long or short?

*Reef Tip: to gauge the toxicity of PO4s in your tank, keep an eye on the growth of Chaetomorpha macro algae. As more toxic levels of PO4s are present, the slower the macro algae grows (as it stuns th

Current Tank Info: soon to be 400 gal
Atomikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2010, 01:37 PM   #4
weeftard
Registered Member

Polyps are huge!! always extented. Params are stable, nitrate never gets a foothold at all, Phos is kept at bay by my phos-ban. Now i have seen one of my acro's go from being bleached out almost completely (in the lfs) to coloring up to a deep brown with a green polyps. my torts have a nice color nice deep purpley blue green, but my monti cap is a little brown instead of orange like it was in the store, thats the only one i have moved up at all and its only maybe 3 inch's off the sand. thats what kinda makes me nervous

Unread 04/23/2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Atomikk
SPS OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeftard View Post
Polyps are huge!! always extented. Params are stable, nitrate never gets a foothold at all, Phos is kept at bay by my phos-ban. Now i have seen one of my acro's go from being bleached out almost completely (in the lfs) to coloring up to a deep brown with a green polyps. my torts have a nice color nice deep purpley blue green, but my monti cap is a little brown instead of orange like it was in the store, thats the only one i have moved up at all and its only maybe 3 inch's off the sand. thats what kinda makes me nervous

Flip the monti over to see if it has these guys:

Other than that, you are looking good. Brown is a good sign in an Acropora. But if you want to color it up a bit more, move it higher towards the top of the water surface.

*Reef Tip: to gauge the toxicity of PO4s in your tank, keep an eye on the growth of Chaetomorpha macro algae. As more toxic levels of PO4s are present, the slower the macro algae grows (as it stuns th

Unread 04/23/2010, 03:20 PM   #6
maharsreef
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomikk View Post
Flip the monti over to see if it has these guys:

Other than that, you are looking good. Brown is a good sign in an Acropora. But if you want to color it up a bit more, move it higher towards the top of the water surface.
Brown is a good sign in Acros?? Well I guess it means its still alive, but to me it say too manyP04's, or pest.

maharsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2010, 03:31 PM   #7
Atomikk
SPS OG

Yes, in acro basics, brown is good. Its a healthy sign. Now if you want colors, you need to get it to expell the zooxanthellae. IN other words, get the acro more light

Unread 04/23/2010, 08:48 PM   #8
weeftard
Registered Member

Well the acro in question is doing awesome it looks 100 times better then when I first got it. Its health is not in question. My phos read 0 last I checked but I will test again soon. Is that an acro eating flat worm in the picture? I assume it is but I medi coral dip every new addition to the tank. Do they come out at night? I just assumed the monti was healing from fragging I picked it up for 14 bucks and it was the best looking out of all the frags.