Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2014, 01:07 PM   #1
jadeyy
Registered Member

What's is scuba diving REALLY like?

If always wanted to dive(literally my whole life if been fascinated with the ocean and just water in general, it's like a whole norther world)

But what's is it really like to go scuba diving? I'm guessing its 100% worth the money but what do you personally feel when your diving?

jadeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2014, 01:27 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

It depends to some degree on experience. In the beginning, it feels like a lot of effort to just "stay alive" but once the scuba skills become more intuitive (perhaps after 2-3 hundred dives?), it is very relaxing and fascinating. After a few thousand dives, it is more relaxing than doing almost any other activity. My opinion, your mileage may vary.

Unread 02/22/2014, 01:37 PM   #3
jadeyy
Registered Member

Thanks! So I'm guessing you'd say it's completely worth the costs?

jadeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2014, 01:42 PM   #4
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeyy View Post
Thanks! So I'm guessing you'd say it's completely worth the costs?
Well, that depends. In my case, I traveled pretty much over the world diving and costs as a consequence were not trivial. If you can afford it and can do it to the extreme I did, it was worth the cost to me.

Unread 02/22/2014, 03:01 PM   #5
ace_92101
Registered Member

Snorvich makes some good points. Like most things, it depends on the person. Having a love for marine aquaria is a natural lead in. As far being comfortable, for most people it does come with experience. I started diving at 12 and it just felt natural. One thing that's often over looked is being comfortable in boats. I've dove with many divers who only get comfortable once they're in the water. Sea sickness is a major reason why some divers stop diving. For those comfortable on boats with a love of marine life, its an amazing hobby.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2014, 03:12 PM   #6
_divad
Registered Member

I am a very recent scuba certified person. I do it primarily for work. But I do live on the California Coast. I was overwhelmed my first time scuba diving in the ocean. Once I calmed down and just took in everything. It was amazing! I highly suggest doing it.

_divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2014, 06:58 PM   #7
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Is it worth it, I think so. Grew up swimming in the ocean, so the only real adjustment was learning not to hold my breath when my head went under Once I got past that reflex it was all good. Been diving for a bit over 30 years and it's still my favorite thing to do.

BTW for those that have trouble with boats, there is still beach diving. Haven't seen anyone get sea sick on beach dive

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2014, 07:06 PM   #8
ace_92101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
Is it worth it, I think so. Grew up swimming in the ocean, so the only real adjustment was learning not to hold my breath when my head went under Once I got past that reflex it was all good. Been diving for a bit over 30 years and it's still my favorite thing to do.

BTW for those that have trouble with boats, there is still beach diving. Haven't seen anyone get sea sick on beach dive
Very well said on beach diving. I'm not sure where the OP lives. SoCal has some very good beach diving. But it's cold!

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2014, 07:21 PM   #9
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_92101 View Post
Very well said on beach diving. I'm not sure where the OP lives. SoCal has some very good beach diving. But it's cold!
Gulf Stream is much warmer than the Humboldt Current

Unread 02/23/2014, 12:25 PM   #10
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

diving is bliss, nirvana, one hour underwater "experience"
once you are certified, it stays with you for life so go for it!

even a "bad" dive is a good dive. regarding the costs, yes it can be expensive when you add up the equipment, which you have the option to rent.

Snorvich summed it up well, three lines or less regarding the comfort levels.

Unread 02/24/2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Lordhelmet
Registered Member

Quote:
I once got sea sick on a beach dive on a very rough day at Monastary Beach in Carmel, it was also one of the best (and coldest) dives i have ever done.
Diving is a natural extension of reef keeping, totally worth it IMO.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 14 gallon
Lordhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2014, 07:15 PM   #12
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordhelmet View Post
I once got sea sick on a beach dive on a very rough day at Monastary Beach in Carmel, it was also one of the best (and coldest) dives i have ever done.
Diving is a natural extension of reef keeping, totally worth it IMO.
Your first person I've ever known to get sea sick on a beach dive

If I'm ever on a boat with you, be sure you stay on the leeward side of me

Unread 02/24/2014, 07:16 PM   #13
bonsai4tim
Registered Member

Just got certified last year, at my wifes prompting. Starting out, we have mostly done guided and/or shallow dives. Its like visiting your LFS without the tanks---fish and coral, adults protecting eggs, the occasional turtle or cowfish.

We did our class inland in North Carolina, Certification dive was in a quarry (cold), BUT the diving in the quarry made tropical dives so much easier.

Most of the time feels like you are hovering watching all the fish, not really swimming much at all. NC coastal dives can be work, the the dives we have been on in the florida keys were shallow easy dives with minimal swimming.

Most of our dive class could barely swim the 200 yard qualifying swim, and most of the people we see on dive trips look way more out of shape than us. (neoprene vs "bio-prene" insulation)

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon, no sump. New 40b
bonsai4tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 08:33 PM   #14
Knightnsd
Registered Member

It is like swimming in your tank, is all I can say, I love Hawaii and have some fish from there. Every time I am there I spend most of it under water. My fiance even snorkels now, only thing that got me out of the water last year was a tiger shark. I will be back in May to see it all over again and my fiance even bought me a dive trip already for my birthday last week. Diving is like expanding your aquarium tank to beyond any dreamed of size and housing all the fish and corals you could ever want in it.

Knightnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 04:05 AM   #15
ChadRaay86
Registered Member

Its like being an Astronaut. I'm an avid cave diver, spearfisher, wreck diver, free diver and Ocean lover. I feel at home in the water and it is an incredibly peaceful experience to feel all alone (even with your dive buddy) in a multitude of different environments.

Current Tank: 300DD, Radion G3 Pro, Octopus Diablo DC-250, 2x MP-60, 2x MP-40, Full Apex, Korallin C4002 calcium reactor
ChadRaay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 05:14 AM   #16
RedStangGA
Registered Member

It's a short escape to absolute bliss. No talking, cell phones ringing, or kids crying(even my own lol!). Distractions are pretty much all of the good kind.

I will say I don't think you need several hundred dives to get comfortable. That will be person by person and will also depend on the type of diving you do. For instance I would never be comfortable cave diving. That's just me. Reef diving in the Caribbean though? No worries! The great thing is my wife and I are both certified so we get to go together. I just wish we lived closer to the ocean.

Unread 02/26/2014, 01:16 PM   #17
Cu455
Moved On

Its hard to explain. If you really want to know how it feels do it. The silence, effortlessly moving and the ability to move in so many directions (such as up and down). I also think its awesome to see how the fish react. Some fish are curious and will come up to you, but the majority of the time they just won't notice you.

It will also give you a new perspective on fish and appropriate aquarium sizes.

Cu455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 02:00 PM   #18
billdogg
Registered Member

I learned to swim in Lake Erie in the early 60's, when the water was mud brown and you had to watch out for the dead fish floating around. I was alway a bit afraid of what was below the surface.

I was introduced to scuba through Jacques Cousteau, and my uncle, who owned the first scube shop in the Columbus, Ohio Area.

When I finally got around to getting certified I was a bit uncertain about how I would react under water. Within 5 minutes of the first time I had a tank on my back, I was at the bottom blowing bubble rings to the surface.

Now, when I'm doing my safety stops at the end of my dives, I have a tendency to fall asleep, especially in the Ohio Quarries where I do much of my diving. (I'm in a drysuit, so I'm toasty warm!)

It is, by far, my favorite way to spend a day (or night). I encourage everybody who shows any interest at all to take the plunge!!!

When

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2014, 09:31 PM   #19
Speckled Grouper
Sticks Suck!

My only regret: Why didn't I do this sooner?"

It is the most wonderful experience, you feel no aches or pains and to be able to admire the animals in their natural habitat is priceless....

Current Tank Info: 265g
Speckled Grouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2014, 11:19 PM   #20
Lordhelmet
Registered Member

Quote:
Your first person I've ever known to get sea sick on a beach dive

If I'm ever on a boat with you, be sure you stay on the leeward side of me
Oh man, I get sea sick easy. I start my anti nausea routine the night before.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 14 gallon
Lordhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 12:09 PM   #21
snorvich
Team RC member

For many people eating ginger cookies tend to retard getting sea sick. Or so they say . . .

snorvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 01:43 PM   #22
bla403
Registered Member

I agree with the person that said "I wish I did this earlier". I started diving around 5 years ago at age 25 and wish I started earlier.

As far as the experience, one of the factors that effects this is how close you are with swimming/water. My family introduced me to swimming as an infant and I grew up with it so I am very comfortable in a pool or the ocean. My wife is the opposite as she started later in life so she was terrified when I tried to get her to scuba dive with me and I think all hopes are lost on that.

I am extremely relaxed when I am diving and just want to enjoy everything around me. Its so peaceful down there for me and I just want to see new things and explore. This isnt the same for others as I have seen many people be forced to come up very early since they get nervous, breath heavily and go through air in a way I can't understand.

If you think snorkeling is cool, Scuba is way better. More relaxing, more oppurtunity to look at stuff up close, no need to compete with waves and get thrown around, etc.

bla403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 04:36 PM   #23
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla403 View Post

If you think snorkeling is cool, Scuba is way better. More relaxing, more oppurtunity to look at stuff up close, no need to compete with waves and get thrown around, etc.
Absolutely. And no sunburn issues to worry about. Some people who have claustrophobia seem to have difficulties with scuba.

snorvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 08:00 PM   #24
hcl2195
Registered Member

A bad day of diving sure beats the hell out of a good day at work!! Just wish I had more time to go diving.

hcl2195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 08:46 PM   #25
DaveG99
Registered Member

When I go diving it's the most peaceful and relaxing feeling in the world. I have been diving since 1992. It's my happy place.

DaveG99 is offline   Reply With Quote