Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2018, 10:24 PM   #1
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

Should i change medication or continue with Cipro

hi guys.
I bought a green gig from someone and he told me he treat with cipro b4 he send it to me. 2 days it looks good but poops out little brown pallets. Day 3 it deflate, at that point mouth still close but not tight. I start cipro on day 3. 500mg in 15 gal of water volume. after 2 days of treatment it doesnt respond to cipro. Should i change to septra? Or should i continue with cipro for another 1 -2 days? I am ****ed now that i may lose this gig as i like it alot.

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 11:31 AM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

I would change antibiotic if I am you. Good luck.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

So, today at 7am i inspect it and it looks a bit worse so i took a dive and added 1 pill of Septra into this treatment tank, i unplug the light as i dont want the light to come on while i am away for most part of the day and to give the nem time to absorb the Septra.
I returned at 3pm and turned on the light and it does not appear to look worse, i take this as a bit of good news.
At 6pm it looks better.
I am being hopeful but i still under the assumption that i will lose it so i dont want to have too much hope.
I plan to change at least 10 gal of this 15 volume tonite and add both cipro 500mg and Septra 500mg. I dont want to stop the cipro as i dont know if the cipro is starting to work or the septra has an immediate effect, so i dose both.
Wish me luck.

Unread 04/01/2018, 08:45 PM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

Get rid of all of the water, as any residual could harbor the harmful bacteria. In other words, do a complete water change.

Unread 04/02/2018, 05:32 AM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

I agree with D-Nak. I would change all the water every time. This way, we remove most of the pathogen in the water.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/02/2018, 06:17 AM   #6
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

ok guys i am working under the assumption that i will lose this nem. i prepare my mental being for the worse but hope for the best.

i inspect it this AM b4 heading to work and it did not deflate. i removed 90% water as my hose is not able to get down to nothing cuz i was siphoning.

i was glad i took the dive and dose with Septra instead of waiting for another day. currently it is being treated with both Septra (500mg) and Cipro (500mg) in a 15 gal water volume. I read on Reef to Reef forum and the guy Reefaholic did indicate he has great result treating Gigs with Septra so i suspect Septra is our secondary choice if 2-3 days of Cipro didnt show improvement. THAT IS if this gig makes it through this treatment. .

Unread 04/02/2018, 09:19 AM   #7
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkskunk View Post
ok guys i am working under the assumption that i will lose this nem. i prepare my mental being for the worse but hope for the best.

i inspect it this AM b4 heading to work and it did not deflate. i removed 90% water as my hose is not able to get down to nothing cuz i was siphoning.

i was glad i took the dive and dose with Septra instead of waiting for another day. currently it is being treated with both Septra (500mg) and Cipro (500mg) in a 15 gal water volume. I read on Reef to Reef forum and the guy Reefaholic did indicate he has great result treating Gigs with Septra so i suspect Septra is our secondary choice if 2-3 days of Cipro didnt show improvement. THAT IS if this gig makes it through this treatment. .
Any pics?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

Not improving as i hope but i already prepared mentally still sucks though.

i stopped the Cipro last night and decided only to go with Septra as i think the nem is a bit beat up when i use the combination.

this picture looks ALOT better in picture than in person.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180403_053903.jpg (58.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Inert.jpg (69.9 KB, 42 views)
Unread 04/03/2018, 09:37 AM   #9
ImTacticool
Registered Member

Keep us posted on how things go, good luck!

ImTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 04:49 AM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

How is he? RIP?

Unread 04/17/2018, 06:49 AM   #11
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

he lost the battle. i am convinced he did not die from bacteria infection but internal organ (if they have any) damage and so he can not recover. my treatment may have killed the bacteria but its too strong and it may have disabled the nem's ability to regain strength to repair its internal organ....etc. just my guess. too bad as the nem is so beautiful looking. it was strong and robust looking for 2 days and then take a plunge completely out of no where on the third day.