Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2017, 12:53 PM   #926
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I have just finished reading your article on Reef Hobbyist Magazine Mindy. You are a natural writer and excellent source of information. I have learned a lot about fish medication, which is my weakest point. Thanks

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 08:33 PM   #927
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
I have just finished reading your article on Reef Hobbyist Magazine Mindy. You are a natural writer and excellent source of information. I have learned a lot about fish medication, which is my weakest point. Thanks
Thanks Bülent! I do enjoy writing. I write weekly "Pro Tips" for the LFS newsletter too - mostly newbie articles. Those will go online at some point. I've learned a lot from many writers over the years and applied their techniques, and now it's time for me to "pay it back".

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 09:19 AM   #928
Myka
Reefing since '93

Big Bad John aka Johnny the Johnsons Fairy Wrasse is learning how to flash. My first time using a video editing app...didn't manage to do what I wanted to, but I hope you enjoy anyway!
https://quik.gopro.com/v/aAgJCoKGLq/

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Unread 05/18/2017, 11:15 AM   #929
markalot

Wow, the red really comes out.

Tank looks good as well, we could use MORE pics please.

Unread 05/18/2017, 08:31 PM   #930
martinphillip03
Registered Member

You could practice your video editing by filming your whole tank. I liked the music in the other video!

Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Big Bad John aka Johnny the Johnsons Fairy Wrasse is learning how to flash. My first time using a video editing app...didn't manage to do what I wanted to, but I hope you enjoy anyway!
https://quik.gopro.com/v/aAgJCoKGLq/

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 08:20 AM   #931
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Wow, the red really comes out.

Tank looks good as well, we could use MORE pics please.
Yeah, his fins turn bright red, his body turns yellow, and the iridescent patches behind his head really stand out.

Yeah pics...jeez, I hardly do water changes lately. When I videoed Johnny, that was the first time that I sat down and enjoyed my tank in many months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
You could practice your video editing by filming your whole tank. I liked the music in the other video!

Marty
Haha, thanks Marty!

Unread 05/24/2017, 08:23 AM   #932
Myka
Reefing since '93

So I decided to put off the tank upgrade until fall for a few reasons...

1) The weather is nice now, and I don't feel like doing the transfer.

2) The cost of glass has gone up 40% since I got the current tank built (Canadian dollar was on-par then), so I'm a bit miffed.

3) I bought a couple fish that may be poor choices. So if I upgrade the tank in the fall this gives me a few months to decide if the new fish will stay or not.

The fish I bought are a 2" Purple Tang and a 2.25" Multibar Angelfish. All the fish in my tank are very docile and friendly, so the Purple Tang may be too much for them, plus he might grow fast. The Multibar Angelfish - well, he may eat the corals. So these two may be bad choices. Hehehe.

Last edited by Myka; 05/24/2017 at 08:34 AM.
Unread 05/24/2017, 08:36 AM   #933
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'd love to try a multibar.. but I'm too scared. Nice fish.
That purple being the last fish in, he should be ok.. assuming he isn't a nut..
Mindy, it might be time for some coral shots.. just sayin..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 08:46 AM   #934
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I'd love to try a multibar.. but I'm too scared. Nice fish.
That purple being the last fish in, he should be ok.. assuming he isn't a nut..
Mindy, it might be time for some coral shots.. just sayin..
The corals look like poo. No nutrients in the tank since removing all the fish back in February or whatever that was. There's only been 3 fish in the tank since then. Acros have gone BAD downhill. Most are very pale, lost a few. Madly trying to get more fish in the tank. I've been dosing KNO3 and have NO3 somewhere 5-10 ppm, and PO4 is non-existent. When I dose PO4 I get green cyano, but I've still been trying to get some in there. Meh...once the fish are in that will help a lot.

Unread 06/02/2017, 07:12 AM   #935
Myka
Reefing since '93

Well, there is an ANGELFISH in my reef now - I swore I'd never do that again after that coral biting jerkface Flame Angelfish I had in the old 90-gallon. Installed the Multibar Angelfish last night. He picks at food, but doesn't eat really well (typical Multibar) though his weight is pretty good actually. Still, I gave him a quick and dirty run through quarantine along with the Purple Tang. I hope it was good enough. The Multibar came from SDC and his import papers say he came from Marshal Islands which is considered one of the best places to get them from, but who knows if this is accurate. Hopefully he doesn't see the corals as a food source - especially the gorgonians. If he eats the gorgs, I'll be disappointed. There is some tasty (and expensive) flubber in the tank too. Why is flubber so expensive?

The Purple Tang is doing well, hopefully he grows slowly and isn't too big of a jerk and he can be happy in the tank for a few years. He's a little cutie right now, but I know better.

Current stock list:

Breeding pair of Onyx Clowns
Bonded pair of Helfrich's Firefish
Johnson's Fairy Wrasse
Multibar Angelfish
Purple Tang

Future plans:

Candy Basslet (my holy grail fish)
Bell's Flasher Wrasse
Blue Flasher Wrasse

Unread 06/09/2017, 01:11 AM   #936
lynchmob3000
Registered Member

I'm dosing DIY Aquaforest Components 1+2+3+. I have the containers mixed differently though. I wanted to use Magnesium sulfate because my tank is super low in sulfate, plus I wanted a bit of a pH boost, and I also find my tank uses more potassium than the mix provides, so I made the following changes:

Container 1: Calcium chloride + Components Strong A & B

Container 2: Sodium carbonate + Components Strong C

Container 3: Mineral Salt + Components Strong D

Then I add 10g Potassium chloride and 10g Magnesium sulfate to the freshly mixed saltwater for water changes.

Are you adding their recommended grams per liter? I'm wondering if I can use the brs soda ash and calcium chloride at the same rates with the same amounts of components strong they recommend?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynchmob3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 10:06 PM   #937
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmob3000 View Post
Are you adding their recommended grams per liter? I'm wondering if I can use the brs soda ash and calcium chloride at the same rates with the same amounts of components strong they recommend?!
Yes, the Aquaforest bulk chems are the same as anywhere else. The AF KH Buffer is Sodium bicarbonate and the AF Calcium is Calcium chloride.

Unread 06/14/2017, 11:10 PM   #938
lynchmob3000
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, the Aquaforest bulk chems are the same as anywhere else. The AF KH Buffer is Sodium bicarbonate and the AF Calcium is Calcium chloride.

Thank you! I just wanted a little reassurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynchmob3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 07:52 PM   #939
Myka
Reefing since '93

Spike the Multibar Angelfish has been doing really well. I haven't seen him eat frozen food, pellets, or even live blackworms, but he has been maintaining lean but ok weight pecking at the rocks. However, tonight I saw him bite an Acro, and upon closer look, he's been actively eating Acro polyps. He has his favorite corals (luckily not my favs), but he's got to go ASAP. I'll probably order in another one, and give it one more shot.

Unread 07/01/2017, 09:47 PM   #940
Myka
Reefing since '93

Operation Spike Removal was successful. I revamped the tank seeing as I removed all the rocks to get Spike out. He killed a few Acros. Bad fish.

I already ordered another one. What's that saying... "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."?? Heh...let's see if I'm luckier this time around. Multibar are just too beautiful to not try again.

Unread 07/03/2017, 01:55 PM   #941
reefmutt
Registered Member

You are brave, Mindy.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 07/03/2017, 10:14 PM   #942
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I want to add an angel but the first try didn't work out to well as it started nipping coral. I am to scared to try again.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 02:03 AM   #943
Randy27
Registered Member

Had the same experience with the flame angel, so do i swore off angels. Tried a heniochus diphreates bc I read so many places that they're "reef safe". Bad idea, he tried to eat everything. Not more angels or butterflies for me You're brave! Good luck

Randy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 02:11 AM   #944
kainic
Registered Member

Genicanthus angels are known to be reef safe. They are pelagic feeders so won't touch any invert nor any coral. They are also smaller than other angels and would fit your tank.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 12:49 PM   #945
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Operation Spike Removal was successful. I revamped the tank seeing as I removed all the rocks to get Spike out. He killed a few Acros. Bad fish.
So when I said "he killed a few Acros" I didn't really describe the total damage very well. I didn't take a picture of what I removed from the tank a couple weeks prior to this picture, but this picture shows about half the damage. It was mostly smaller pieces. The colonies for the most part were able to survive the molestation.

August:

Here is the RR OP (in August):

Unread 11/06/2017, 12:52 PM   #946
Myka
Reefing since '93

I'll take some update pics in the next week or so. Most of the remaining Acros have mostly/partly recovered, but there are still a few that are struggling. It's been a long, hard road out of hell. (5 point to whomever can quote the lyrics!)

Unread 11/06/2017, 02:55 PM   #947
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ouch!! That’s brutal.

Unread 04/14/2018, 04:35 PM   #948
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I'll take some update pics in the next week or so. Most of the remaining Acros have mostly/partly recovered, but there are still a few that are struggling. It's been a long, hard road out of hell. (5 point to whomever can quote the lyrics!)
Hello Mindy,

You have not updated your tank thread for a long time. How is your tank doing?

Cheers

Bülent

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 05:19 PM   #949
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Funny to see this topic bumped up today.
Today I finally got a frag of pectinia Space Invader, a coral that since I saw in this thread, just stayed in my mind.
I'm curious to see what's happening too.
Regards,
Alex

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 08:09 PM   #950
Myka
Reefing since '93

Hey guys! Thanks for still following! I haven't managed to get any decent photos lately but I did catch a few short videos showing big PE. Tapatalk won't post them though. I'll see what I can do.