Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/06/2016, 08:31 AM   #26
Bdial
Registered Member

I love the looks under those Royal Blues. That's the biggest thing I miss about LEDs. Thanks for sharing!

WINTER IS COMING
Bdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2016, 04:09 PM   #27
glaukos
Registered Member

Amazing pics bill!!!!
I see you're using a gyre?Which one is it and is it the only pump in the tank?

Routines info pls?

Unread 08/06/2016, 04:24 PM   #28
msr224
Registered Member

Did the orophek come about getting fixed or still issue?

What were the other issue you were having with them?

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
msr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2016, 12:47 AM   #29
maxwell
Registered Member

Mike
I have 2 gyre one large one small, also a vortec mp 40 and a tune so plenty of flow which sps love.
M s r
I have replaced the complete led units in each light to V3 versions the drivers are still the same ie v2. 1 b .the issues I had was the leds in one unit burnt out twice and the control board had a mind of its own had to replace that twice and also software issues at the start.I like the lights so rather than replace them upgraded them, The unit must have been a Friday aft job as the other one was perfect no problems at all.
Bill

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2016, 08:18 AM   #30
Piper27
I love bengals

Beautiful tank!! I was amazed when I read it had leds, I thought it looked like a t5 led tank. I hope all your issues are solved, well done! Got a picture of the sump and equipment?

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2016, 12:43 PM   #31
maxwell
Registered Member

Piper27
I have 2 Orpheks and a radion pro running , the pics below are when i started the tank with halides/T5 and had to remove them after 6weeks no control and heat problems.
The sump is basic but please ignore the external pumps as they are not in use

1/ filter socks
2/ skimmer
3/ pellet reactor
4/ siporax / cheato/ MM
5/ carbon / 2 rowa reactors

Unread 08/08/2016, 01:34 AM   #32
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Such a nice clean setup Bill! That sump looks like it's lots of fun to play with! I might have to try and find some filters to take some similar pics once I get an led strip or two

What sort of food are you feeding in the tank? I hope you don't mind all the questions lol

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2016, 03:26 AM   #33
maxwell
Registered Member

Dom
The forum is for asking questions and sharing info and im a relative novice so always reading to see what i can learn.I try to keep things simple in the tank so that maintenance is easy.

Fish food - I only feed frozen with a mix of the complete range foods in the frozen cabinet( always washed in RO using a sieve ),i feed twice a day around 9.00am and 6.00pm.I suppliment this a couple of times a week 1 hour before lights out with rotifiers/ cyclopeze and once a month a couple of small bottles of pods not really needed but with anthias and a mandarin a treat.The tangs get the nori as usual.

Coral food - I put 1litre of a mix of phyto/rotifiers and reef roids

I rely on the fish selection to keep the nasties at bay wrasses,foxface , copperband and the tangs are always picking.
CUC - lots including peppermints,harlequin shrimps,conches and the usual snails etc.

Water - I use hanna checkers for dkh/ phosphate which on the latter i dont take much notice as you can chase your tail so i rely on ICP test every 2 months and adjust to their recommendations rather than throwing stuff in willy nilly.

suppliments - basically only iodine as i have tried all the snake oils and they dont work for me and i cause issues then try to rectify it etc. This is a personal thing as im not well up on the chemistry side and rely on my salt TM pro bio twice a week small water changes and let the sump do its work.
My coral colours and growth were at their peak before the Calc reactor and lights failed so im playing a waiting game hoping they recover back to their best as you know we are never satisfied even though people say its good.

Bill

Unread 08/08/2016, 06:51 AM   #34
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow, that's a lot of tech you have extremely efficiently packed into your cabinet.
I love those fluorescence shots!
It's always interesting to see the tank with the original bare rock..
Very nice set up!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2016, 10:53 AM   #35
maxwell
Registered Member

Matt
Its all in and works well for me ,i have just called into lfs to see if they want some frags and done a swap deal for some helfrichi firefish but i have to wait till they get some more in as they only had one left.Its been difficult over here getting some nice sps corals only a couple of places for them.I have seen some online in Germany but they are expensive to ship,people in Aussie and USA seem to have plenty available.
Bill

Unread 08/08/2016, 08:32 PM   #36
reefmutt
Registered Member

Stunning fish, the helfrichis!
You'll have to post some shots of them.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/11/2016, 01:55 AM   #37
maxwell
Registered Member

Hi
can anybody id this acro i bought as a small frag its similar to a purple bonsai with a purple body and fluor green polyps but has a bright yellow tip

thanks Bill

Unread 08/11/2016, 07:22 AM   #38
reefmutt
Registered Member

Sorry. Tough to tell under blue lights only..
I'd guess bonsai or tricolor before a growth spurt.

Unread 08/20/2016, 01:20 PM   #39
maxwell
Registered Member

early evening pics no filters used

Hi
Some early evening pics,my corals have coloured up and growing well. I do not use AF or Triton but i did have an ICP test and followed the recommendations of what to add and have been delighted with the results what do you think .I did not use any filters or software just jpeg from the camera the iso was adj in a couple of shots .

Bill

Unread 08/20/2016, 02:30 PM   #40
Piper27
I love bengals

Thanks for posting the sump pics! Thoes last images are superb. If you let things go growing you will soon have a nest of corals grown together

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 11:40 AM   #41
reefmutt
Registered Member

Tank looks fantastic.
What were the results of your triton test and what were their recommendations?

Unread 08/23/2016, 12:21 PM   #42
maxwell
Registered Member

Matt
I will post them when I find how to or just photograph them, basically it was to dose boron, strontium and iodine they were well down so I used triton stuff and for the fine adjustments added the coral system 1 and 2 and I need to pick up the no 4 one.I have not used any of these before but after 2 weeks it was amazing all the coral colours improved and looking great.I had a wild piece next to the bali slimer that was just brown for 10 months it's going a nice blue purple and looks great.the PH is now rock solid both day and night with a very slight deviation.The green tops are back on the FF really pleased with it.
Bill

Unread 08/24/2016, 07:37 PM   #43
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Awesome tank, how many gallons?

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 11:19 PM   #44
maxwell
Registered Member

Reef tank
It's 210 US gals plus the sump volume.the new dosing up to icp test has shown increased growth and great colours.
Bill

Unread 08/27/2016, 07:55 PM   #45
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
Matt
I will post them when I find how to or just photograph them, basically it was to dose boron, strontium and iodine they were well down so I used triton stuff and for the fine adjustments added the coral system 1 and 2 and I need to pick up the no 4 one.I have not used any of these before but after 2 weeks it was amazing all the coral colours improved and looking great.I had a wild piece next to the bali slimer that was just brown for 10 months it's going a nice blue purple and looks great.the PH is now rock solid both day and night with a very slight deviation.The green tops are back on the FF really pleased with it.
Bill
Definitely seems to be working for you. The tank looks amazing!!

Unread 08/27/2016, 11:52 PM   #46
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Wow Bill very impressive love your simple approach keep up the good work. How long has the tank been up and running.

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 05:16 AM   #47
maxwell
Registered Member

Hi
Thanks , this is my second tank, this one is approx 18 months old i did transfer a few corals over and then added a load of frags the last being 2months ago. The growth has been tremendous but i was not happy with the colour which was down to faulty equipment.Having set the start point with the ICP test and bringing all the elements up to there recommendations i am now seeing the best colours and growth as per my pics(no enhancement as i tell it as it is).I started with the principle of not to add things willy nilly and go off the tests due to lack of experience but im getting pulled into adding this and that but just going to leave it.I do not frag except breakages so see how it grows and there is already battles between corals but thats what happens in nature.I have posted the full ICP test results in another thread by szathmary that may interest you.Thanks for looking and your comments
Bill

Unread 08/28/2016, 05:20 AM   #48
maxwell
Registered Member

PS -- my challenge is fish as i dont know a lot about marines and making all the usual mistakes .

Bill

Unread 08/29/2016, 06:21 AM   #49
maxwell
Registered Member

sps top down shots

Hi
A few top down shots of a selection of corals today,i dont know what some are

Bill

Unread 08/29/2016, 06:29 AM   #50
maxwell