Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2020, 08:30 AM   #1
wsboyette
Registered Member

Tentative Combination of Fishes

In my 60 gallon Fish-only, I am considering the following combination of fishes:

2 Maroon Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Flame Angel
2 Javanese (Blue Velvet) Damsel
1 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Maybe)

Would you think the damsels might cause trouble, as they are known to get aggressive ? Or would Blue Damsels have less potential for trouble than the Javanese ? And is it advisable to have more than one Maroon Clown ?

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown
wsboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2020, 10:01 AM   #2
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i would probably go with one, or the other angel, but IMO 60 gallons isn't a great size for any angel due to the footprint of the tank.

flasher wrasse should be ok, but definitely get a lid.

damsel might cause issues in a tank that small, they can be aggressive.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Blue Velvets are a terror even singly. No, no, no, go back, kemo sabe, it's a trap.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2020, 01:20 PM   #4
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Blue Velvets are a terror even singly. No, no, no, go back, kemo sabe, it's a trap.
Thanks, Sk8r ! I think I'll just stay away from Damsels altogether.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown
Unread 07/30/2020, 01:22 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

The only rational, fairly decently behaved damsels in my experience are the little yellowtails or, with greater caution, the fiji blue.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 07/31/2020, 12:08 PM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've heard many stories of aquarists afraid to do regular maintenance because of maroon clownfish biting attacks. I agree with MondoBongo on the angelfish - pick one.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2020, 12:59 PM   #7
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I've heard many stories of aquarists afraid to do regular maintenance because of maroon clownfish biting attacks. I agree with MondoBongo on the angelfish - pick one.
Maroon clowns are very bold; I had one years ago that would eat right out of my hand, and if I stuck an empty hand in the tank he would peck at it (looking for some food).

Unread 07/31/2020, 07:03 PM   #8
wsboyette
Registered Member

Well, the first two specimens came home from the LFS today; two Maroon Clownfish.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2137.jpg (67.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2135.jpg (29.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by wsboyette; 07/31/2020 at 08:25 PM.
Unread 08/01/2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

My recommendation of clownfish is the ocellaris---bright pattern, lively, and mild-mannered toward other fishes. The maroons are larger, more defensive of territory, and nippy, which the ocellaris aren't.

Unread 08/01/2020, 04:20 PM   #10
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
My recommendation of clownfish is the ocellaris---bright pattern, lively, and mild-mannered toward other fishes. The maroons are larger, more defensive of territory, and nippy, which the ocellaris aren't.
Guess I've made my bed now though with the Maroons; it is my favorite clownfish. I had one years and years ago (1990s) for about 7 years, he was a beautiful specimen..... Used to eat food right out of my fingers.

Unread 08/01/2020, 04:47 PM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

Then you know them. Remember they do get pushy when they mate. I've always admired them, but after two (allegedly milder-mannered) Clarkiis who bit me bloody (they have little square teeth) every time I worked in the tank, I decided a larger, naughtier clown was not for me. Seriously, they are gorgeous.