Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2020, 10:18 PM   #1
rubinsteindy
Registered Member

Coral Questions

Hello, I am new to the saltwater fish tank hobby and have been trying to figure out corals. Currently I have a 10g saltwater tank with 2 clownfish, 1 fire fish, and 1 cleaner shrimp. I have a lid with good lighting on the tank and I bought live rock and live sand to go with it. I check the stats of the water twice a week and everything is where it should be( I think). I just introduced 4 corals and they are concerning me. I put them in the tank around 4 days ago and have noticed a few things. 2 of them open a lot during the day and the other two don’t move at all. I have also noticed tiny white dots on two of my corals and I’ve seen little bugs that swim around on them. I wasn’t really sure what they were but I took them out anyways just to make sure they were noting bad. I could really use some advice or help from anyone! Thanks.

rubinsteindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 06:59 AM   #2
Alex114
Registered Member

What parameters do you measure? Post the values you get and we can tell you if they’re ok. What kind of corals are they? Can’t really tell if anything’s wrong without even knowing what they are. A pic would be even better. As for the white dots it’s probably snail eggs but again without a pic could be anything. And the little clear bugs you see are likely copopods which are in just about everyone’s tank

Alex114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 07:13 AM   #3
jmsilhy
Registered Member

Coral Questions

In this section of the forums, read a post titled “Are corals that hard? FYI” by Sk8r. It has a lot of great information that should help you a lot.

jmsilhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 08:46 AM   #4
rubinsteindy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex114 View Post
What parameters do you measure? Post the values you get and we can tell you if they’re ok. What kind of corals are they? Can’t really tell if anything’s wrong without even knowing what they are. A pic would be even better. As for the white dots it’s probably snail eggs but again without a pic could be anything. And the little clear bugs you see are likely copopods which are in just about everyone’s tank

Okay for some reason its not letting me add attachments so I'll try this.

At the moment my parameters measured are:
Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.3
Temperature: 78 degrees fahrenheit
Salinity: 1.024

These two corals are the ones that I believe are doing good
https://prnt.sc/tspjzp
https://prnt.sc/tspm2v

and these are the two I don't know about
https://prnt.sc/tspmqe
https://prnt.sc/tspn12

this is the little bug that I found crawling around
https://prnt.sc/tspnp3

Also if anyone knows the names of any of these corals that would be really helpful! I literally don't know anything about them

rubinsteindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Your bug is a good guy: copepod. Fishfood.
the last photo of coral is probably blastomussa: happy in mid-tank lighting.
Your closed up dark coral may be a piece of chalice. It is a stony and requires calcium supplementation. Get some Mrs Wages Pickling Lime, grocery store or online, and feed 2 level tsp into every gallon of your topoff water, giving it time to dissolve. You can also just dump sufficient (measure in this method doesn't have to tbe exact) into your topoff reservoir and let it do the work. Your ratios should be calcium 420, alkalinity 8.3, and magnesium 1350 for it to balance out and stay stable so long as the magnesium doesn't fall below 1200.

Your other two corals are softies (I think), a yellow star polyp (I think) and a ricordea mushroom.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, problem, questions