Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2007, 04:44 PM   #26
apu701
Registered Member

their only problem is that they are not down the street from my house.

apu701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2007, 04:49 PM   #27
Hogs
Registered Member

One other aspect that Aquahut offers that no one does is their hours. Don is open 9am to 9pm almost everyday and even holidays. I was in there this week at 9:10am to buy a test kit. In comparision I believe Long Island Fish & Reef opens at noon and closes at 8pm.

Current Tank Info: 72g reef, 37g fresh, 10g QT
Hogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 01:55 AM   #28
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

My boss buys a ton of stuff from Don. He's got a set up to die for, and everything, I mean everything came from Aquahut. He raves about the service and prices he gets there.
I've been hearing about this store since I got in the hobby, and pretty much daily for the last two years from my boss. With all the good things I've heard, threads like this have kept me from setting foot in the store. Something about a store that refuses to pick up their phone just rubs me the wrong way.
I may be missing out on something big, but I just can't seem to force myself to go in there, and I work in Ronkonkoma. It's not like it's a long ride out of my way.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 05:46 AM   #29
Zoa
Registered Member

Fish N Reef is right around the corner from me..literally. Yet I still go to Aqua Hut for most of my things due to the prices.

Can I get a home equity loan for this?
Zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 11:10 AM   #30
imlocke
Registered Member

I went to Aqua Hut yesterday, and got my new firefish, they had a whole new shipment of fish in, and my firefish, as well as sexy shrimp were both priced cheaper than anywhere i've seen online, as well as clownfish. Their prices are great.

Aquatop MR2 reactor & xyclone skimmer
BulkReefSupply Biopellet reactor with S

Current Tank Info: 45 gallon deep blue frag tank; 15 gallon sump; Two Ocean Revives T-247B; MP10
imlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 11:19 AM   #31
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally posted by imlocke
my firefish, as well as sexy shrimp were both priced cheaper than anywhere i've seen online, as well as clownfish. Their prices are great.

I've heard many times over that Don has the best prices, I don't think anyone's arguing that. I just don't see how he could possibly operate a retail storefront with better than Internet prices. Where are you shopping on line, Country Critters.com?

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
Unread 10/20/2007, 11:26 AM   #32
imlocke
Registered Member

Haha no, liveaquaria.com and petsolutions.com both have higher prices than Aquahut, the sexy shrimp they got in yesterday were $7.99, I've never seen any sexy shrimp for under $10...

Unread 10/20/2007, 11:40 AM   #33
mgny
Registered Member

Larry i'm with ya with the phone deal. To me any business that won't answer the phone to help customers, well there is nothing left to say.

mgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 02:44 PM   #34
Long Island Andy
Andy

Guys
It has been difficult for me not to jump in on this thread
I have known Don since 1981. He is a friend and my LFS since 1981. He runs his business his way and obviously some people going there because he has been in business over 30 years. He is not going to change and start answering his phone, or writing prices on the tanks. He moves too much livestock to bother.
I have no dog in this fight but I really think it is wrong to bad month a store (any store) in our forum. It is really poor in my opinion to screw with someone's livelyhood, by bashing them
If all of the stores policies bother you just don't go back

James, I know Bill and he should have not treated you that way, especially if the store was not busy. I will mention it to him the next time I go

Andy

Current Tank Info: 65g Reef,15g Mantis Tank
Long Island Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 03:01 PM   #35
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Andy,
I've been following this thread, I don't think anyone is bashing Don's store. It's obvious that people have issues, especially with the phone/pricing things, but at the end of the day, it's Don's store, and his decision what to do with it.
Even those that say they don't particularly like the store still say that pricing is good.
I know the store has a huge following, he's doing things right in a lot of peoples' eyes, or he wouldn't be there anymore.

Dunder Mifflin

Unread 10/20/2007, 03:26 PM   #36
cb747
Registered Member

Ive been to there once. I liked it and asking prices didnt bother me. The ONLY reason i havent been back is its not exactly around the corner from me. There employees were very helpful.

cb747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 03:36 PM   #37
Hogs
Registered Member

I was there today and they had the biggest cowfish I've ever seen. He must have been 8 plus inches. I usually only see the baby 1-2 inch sizes. I heard that they wanted $125 for the cowfish. They also had a 10-11 inch stars & stripes puffer and that was the small one. They had a 15 inch stars and stripes which they sold. I picked up this cool looking Nubibranch. $9. The pony tail clerk helped me. He was very friendly and was prepared to answer all of my questions.
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 10/20/2007, 03:54 PM   #38
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Hogs
I picked up this cool looking Nubibranch. $9. The pony tail clerk helped me.[/IMG]
Did he happen to tell you what exact species it is and exactly what it eats? Nudibranchs typically only eat a specific food item, and it's usually something that we can't provide. Hence the average nudibranch will starve to death in a few weeks or so

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 04:01 PM   #39
Hogs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
Did he happen to tell you what exact species it is and exactly what it eats? Nudibranchs typically only eat a specific food item, and it's usually something that we can't provide. Hence the average nudibranch will starve to death in a few weeks or so
He said that it eats detritus. He said that they are a relatively hardy species. I was worried about diet and how established a system they need to be in. I just fogot to ask him what species he is.

Unread 10/20/2007, 04:51 PM   #40
DEXTER SOLIS
Registered Member

Pony tail guy = Tony, very nice dude in my book.

I just came from there today after reading this post. I asked Tony about the issues we are discussing since its obvious he reads this thread too. T

They dont answer the phone because they have onsite customers, plus its not a phone but a fax line (as per Tony), not an excuse not to pick up the phone though. for the time I was there they had a steady flow of clients, one thing I noticed was no dead fish in the tanks & clean atmosphere. another thing I was surprised to find out was there was no bathroom for my kids, it was an hour drive!

Aqua Hut I will have to rank as up there as far as our Hobby goes. Tony caught my selection without any nets, showing zero stress for the specimens. watching it was a treat in itself. staff was very helpfull & knowledgable, was not eager to make jus a SALE. and we all agree on the pricing.

I wish this place was closer & I wish they had a way to tell us whats in stock like a website or email list

DEXTER SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 05:01 PM   #41
Hogs
Registered Member

Quote:
I wish they had a way to tell us whats in stock like a website or email list
This is the closest to a web site that they have. http://www.liaquahut.com/ I wonder if they answer emails.

Unread 10/20/2007, 05:30 PM   #42
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Hogs
He said that it eats detritus. He said that they are a relatively hardy species. I was worried about diet and how established a system they need to be in. I just fogot to ask him what species he is.
Sadly wrong information. There are no generalized detritus eating nudis. Take a look at through the species listings on the Sea Slug Forum. Particularly the Chromodoris genus, in particular Chromodoris quadricolor and strigata appear very similar to yours, enough so to be at least sure of genus. They are all dedicated sponge eaters, and specific sponges at that Sadly such nudis are all too common in the trade.

Unread 10/20/2007, 05:39 PM   #43
DEXTER SOLIS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greggnyce
Aquahuts prices are so low who really cares if there labeled, compared to the rest of the lfs stores on long island, I love it when the tell me how cheap something is there. usually 30 - 50% less.
I find this to be true

Unread 10/20/2007, 07:31 PM   #44
onegreenray
Registered Member

i think it bothers people that they are run there business differently from all the ther stores. but i guess don has been doing something right since like andy said he has been around for some 30 years now and there is a large group of us that keeps going back. i have to make a run there monday or tuesday to get my mysis. so i'll let you know if i see anything good.

larry suck it up and make the ride stop being so stubborn. lol

dex theres a pizza place right next door you should have used there bathroom.

onegreenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 08:20 PM   #45
imlocke
Registered Member

i have talked to one of the other employees there and had asked about nudibranches and he recommended i actually not get one unless i just wanted it to look pretty for a while then die...

Unread 10/20/2007, 08:41 PM   #46
DEXTER SOLIS
Registered Member

Im no expert but any way, I have read Nudi's have short life span even in the wild, so collecting them really has no big impact. I saw 3-5 of them today. but the info Tony gave is missleading.

Ray was the the guy that turned me to this store, a very good alternative to driving into Queens for deals.

Im sorry James had a negatory experience, but I do urge you to give this place another shot

Unread 10/20/2007, 08:56 PM   #47
Hogs
Registered Member

Quote:
Sadly wrong information. There are no generalized detritus eating nudis. Take a look at through the species listings on the Sea Slug Forum. Particularly the Chromodoris genus, in particular Chromodoris quadricolor and strigata appear very similar to yours, enough so to be at least sure of genus. They are all dedicated sponge eaters, and specific sponges at that Sadly such nudis are all too common in the trade.
Like alot of people in this hobby it's live and learn. Thank's for the info Bill and also the link to sea slug forum. Tons of info there. There are so many species of wildlife in this hobby that's it impossible to know everything.

Unread 10/20/2007, 09:45 PM   #48
teen
Registered Member.

honestly, if you like something there, offer a price that you feel comfortable paying (and is obviously not a loss on their part), and im sure they'll give it to you for that price.

teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 10:11 PM   #49
Spracklcat
Disaster Expert

Quote:
The issue here is that pretty colored nudi's sell, because people don't bother to look up what they eat or require, and if items sell, stores will stock them. The only one I've seen around here that doesn't always have them in their tanks is Suffolk Fish and Reef--if you go to Pet's Warehouse they have them all the time too, and I'm sure if you ask they will tell you something similar to the detritus/sand sifter argument.

The only thing we can do is "vote with the dollar"--if none of us buy these critters, one would hope stores won't stock them. Unfortunately, for every seasoned aquarists there are 10 new people who haven't learned yet and say "ooh that's pretty".

And actually that is a good summary of the thread in general--we all vote with our cash, in each store we like.

Spracklcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2007, 05:56 AM   #50
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by DEXTER SOLIS
Im no expert but any way, I have read Nudi's have short life span even in the wild, so collecting them really has no big impact. I saw 3-5 of them today. but the info Tony gave is missleading.
Impact of wild collections is a whole 'nother debate

With the nudi's it is more about the idea of sticking an animal in a tank that you can't do anything with other than watch it starve to death.