Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2018, 12:44 PM   #1
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Initial sump/fuge design

Please let me know if I have a decent plan. Nothing is to scale and heights for baffles are yet to be determined. Figured what I would do is after I actually get the equipment size everything then with some extra space in mind for future equipment upgrades/changes.

If I need more baffles or whatever may be an issues let me know.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB044372-C5FA-4814-B461-7F38EBB40806.jpg (35.6 KB, 41 views)
BoisBlancBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 02:06 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Looks just fine/simple..

Unread 03/19/2018, 02:17 PM   #3
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Looks just fine/simple..
That’s what I want to hear. Thank you.

Unread 03/19/2018, 05:35 PM   #4
Lsufan
Registered Member

Looks fine to me to. One thing to consider is if u make the baffle separating the return & fuge more then about 1” taller then the water level in the return section, u will need to do it in a way that u can keep it quiet. They have ways to do it if u want the fuge deeper then the rest of the sump, but u don’t want water falling more then around 1” over a baffle or it will get loud. The design & baffle layout look fine to me. I’m a fan of keeping it simple & not trying to squeeze so much into a sump that the entire sump ends up suffering

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 06:39 PM   #5
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
Looks fine to me to. One thing to consider is if u make the baffle separating the return & fuge more then about 1” taller then the water level in the return section, u will need to do it in a way that u can keep it quiet. They have ways to do it if u want the fuge deeper then the rest of the sump, but u don’t want water falling more then around 1” over a baffle or it will get loud. The design & baffle layout look fine to me. I’m a fan of keeping it simple & not trying to squeeze so much into a sump that the entire sump ends up suffering
Thanks, if anyone knows how to keep the water quiet while running over the fuge/return baffle I’m all ears!!

That’s one thing I don’t want to listen to is a loud waterfall.

Unread 03/19/2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

I think it will depend on the setup. U may find that u need as much room as possible in the sump for the extra water when the return is off. If that’s the case I would just make the return/fuge baffle about 1/2” talker then the second baffle in the bubble trap.

If u decide u are going to have the fuge 3 or 4” deeper then the rest of the sump then what I would do is cut the baffle to where it is 1 to 1.5” from the top of the sump. Then drill a hole in the baffle for a bulkhead at the hieght u want the water level. Then u can attach a 90 & a section of pipe to the bulkhead so the water exits at or below the water level in the return section. That way u don’t have a 3 or 4” waterfall going over the baffle. I keep saying 3 or 4” because that is the only way I see it worth doing it. If u can only have a 1.5” or 2” difference in water levels then u may as well just go 1” deeper so u don’t have to deal with the extra work involved in the bulkhead & pipe extension idea.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 05:22 AM   #7
Mrramsey
NEO Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoisBlancBoy View Post
Thanks, if anyone knows how to keep the water quiet while running over the fuge/return baffle I’m all ears!!

That’s one thing I don’t want to listen to is a loud waterfall.
I have a similar design in my sump. I added another glass panel / baffle at the fuge with a 1" gap on the bottom. Now that being said I run my fuge at maybe 200 gph so its just trickling over the baffle to begin with. Essentially it just runs down the glass.

Current Tank Info: 120g In-Wall | BA Overflow | 55g Sump | SWC Extreme 150 Skimmer | DIY ATO | 2 Jebao RW-8| Fluval SP6 | Photon 48v2 LED | GFO and Carbon
Mrramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 06:11 AM   #8
Bruce51
Registered Member

Looks just like I did, the baffle on my fuge is 11" tall, water falls about 2 inches into return, very slow flow, and is silent

Bruce51 is offline   Reply With Quote