Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/12/2017, 06:36 PM   #4926
GfordQC
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 82
Orcus,

How did you transition your reef to using the T5's? I'm looking to add 4 T5 at the beginning of the new year and was wondering how you acclimated everything.


__________________
Current Tank: 90 Gal SCA Cube Mixed Reef (Build Stage)

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2017, 10:11 PM   #4927
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfordQC View Post
Orcus,

How did you transition your reef to using the T5's? I'm looking to add 4 T5 at the beginning of the new year and was wondering how you acclimated everything.


If switching from the AB+ full power profile I would switch to my t5ho profile and add 1 bulb a week over a month. When I made the change I just kind of switched thinking everything would be okay since PAR was roughly the same. Well that was a bad idea, I lost some corals and bleached others. I think the downfall was I failed to take into account that even though PAR was the same coverage was worlds better. In essence previously shaded regions of my corals were suddenly blasted with way more PAR then they were used to and they bleached out. After the initial adjustment period though I must say that I couldnít be happier with the results. Just take it slow and youíll be alright!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2017, 10:23 PM   #4928
Kinetic
Registered Member
 
Kinetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,758
Just took some PAR readings with my AI Hydra 52 HD, with the SPS AB+ high power (w/ peaks) program that Orcus had posted, with one modification. I increased the whites by a lot (probably bumped them up to twice as much as the baseline).





I have no corals (yet), and just anemones. The H. Magnifica is getting toasted with over 400! It hasn't moved from the pedestal rock I made for it, and the lighting probably has a lot to do with it. When I introduced it to the tank, I put it right where it is today, and it hasn't moved since.

The BTAs I'm guessing are pretty happy. The flow is a bit strong for them, but light seems to be enough.

My whites are bumped high because I subjectively like the aesthetics of the lights to be less blue. Still plenty of color and coolness to the tank, but my home office still looks nice.



When I get SPS, I'm going to probably have to modify the whites... since they may just totally burn the SPS up. Or do you guys think they'll be fine with slow acclimation?


__________________
Portfolio: http://artchang.com

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170
Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 05:09 AM   #4929
GfordQC
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
If switching from the AB+ full power profile I would switch to my t5ho profile and add 1 bulb a week over a month. When I made the change I just kind of switched thinking everything would be okay since PAR was roughly the same. Well that was a bad idea, I lost some corals and bleached others. I think the downfall was I failed to take into account that even though PAR was the same coverage was worlds better. In essence previously shaded regions of my corals were suddenly blasted with way more PAR then they were used to and they bleached out. After the initial adjustment period though I must say that I couldnít be happier with the results. Just take it slow and youíll be alright!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds good! I will definitely do that. Thank you for your efforts on this thread. I think it has been a benefit for everyone with hydra lights for sure.


__________________
Current Tank: 90 Gal SCA Cube Mixed Reef (Build Stage)

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 05:17 AM   #4930
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Just took some PAR readings with my AI Hydra 52 HD, with the SPS AB+ high power (w/ peaks) program that Orcus had posted, with one modification. I increased the whites by a lot (probably bumped them up to twice as much as the baseline).





I have no corals (yet), and just anemones. The H. Magnifica is getting toasted with over 400! It hasn't moved from the pedestal rock I made for it, and the lighting probably has a lot to do with it. When I introduced it to the tank, I put it right where it is today, and it hasn't moved since.

The BTAs I'm guessing are pretty happy. The flow is a bit strong for them, but light seems to be enough.

My whites are bumped high because I subjectively like the aesthetics of the lights to be less blue. Still plenty of color and coolness to the tank, but my home office still looks nice.



When I get SPS, I'm going to probably have to modify the whites... since they may just totally burn the SPS up. Or do you guys think they'll be fine with slow acclimation?


I have unfortunately never been able to acclimate sps to more then 24-25% whites even with a slow acclimation. The Cree XP2 Cool White diodes are very hard on sps for some reason. I like you much prefer a color temp closer to 10k, the way I achieved this was by adding some Geissmann tropic 6500k & ATI Coral Plus t5 supplements.

By the way you have a darn nice setup, looks fantastic. I canít wait to see that mag literally take up the entire tank!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 05:19 AM   #4931
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by GfordQC View Post
Sounds good! I will definitely do that. Thank you for your efforts on this thread. I think it has been a benefit for everyone with hydra lights for sure.


You are very welcome! I thank you and everyone else for participating and keeping this thread going for so long.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 09:31 PM   #4932
Reeftub
Registered Member
 
Reeftub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 380
I just wish they had an upgrade from hydra52 to the hd as I have 6 -52s over my 190 and Iíd have to sell my 52s to buy the new HDís which sucks but Iíll wait until they change the white leds and also add warm whites like the radions. Iím sure that will be next for these guys.


Reeftub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 10:14 PM   #4933
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftub View Post
I just wish they had an upgrade from hydra52 to the hd as I have 6 -52s over my 190 and Iíd have to sell my 52s to buy the new HDís which sucks but Iíll wait until they change the white leds and also add warm whites like the radions. Iím sure that will be next for these guys.


As AI are owned by Ecotech now I would definitely expect a lot of similarities between the Radion G4 and next generation hydras. Honestly wouldnít be surprised if they merged the two brands keeping the hydra moniker as a mid range lighting brand. The addition of some warmer white diodes I have to agree would be wonderful. Something around 6500k would be ideal imo!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 03:26 PM   #4934
d3nrh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
Hi Orcus,

i realy like you SPS AB+ settings and they work very well . I'm running 3 Hydra 26 HD on a Reefers 525xL.

I would like to add a Bluelight Phase for 2-3 Hours to have great fluorescent look in the very late evening. Do you have any suggestions how this will not stress out the corals and what would be the best fluorescent settings you can recomment ?

I have tryed a lot of times, but to get the very good fluorescent look i have to much lightblue what will make the water shine to much.

Many thx for awnsers ,
greatings from germany
Mike

Some Picture of my Tanks:













d3nrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 03:31 PM   #4935
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
 
shaginwagon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
As AI are owned by Ecotech now...
Didn't know that until now lol

Are you guys turning your Red and Green settings to 0%? From a lot of online sources, it says to turn them down to 0% on the display tank because it promoted algae growth.

What are people doing with this?


__________________
- Shaginwagon -

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 06:21 PM   #4936
rishma
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Didn't know that until now lol

Are you guys turning your Red and Green settings to 0%? From a lot of online sources, it says to turn them down to 0% on the display tank because it promoted algae growth.

What are people doing with this?

No, I turn them up with white to get the look I want. I always assume Algae is a nutrient problem not a light problem. Not many watts of red/green to worry about.


rishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 06:27 PM   #4937
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Didn't know that until now lol

Are you guys turning your Red and Green settings to 0%? From a lot of online sources, it says to turn them down to 0% on the display tank because it promoted algae growth.

What are people doing with this?


Iím with @rishma nutrients cause algae not light imo. I think the red and green channels are essential for proper chromatoprotien formation and zooxanthella health. Most of our corals are from less then 20í of water. As such they get plenty of this wavelength light in their natural environment.


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 06:30 PM   #4938
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
Leaving the blues on 5% or less for a few hrs at the end of the day shouldnít be an issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 08:01 PM   #4939
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
One of those rare photos where everyoneís posing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2017, 12:14 PM   #4940
GfordQC
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 82
Orcus,

What is the height of your lights off the water now that you added T5?

Thanks


__________________
Current Tank: 90 Gal SCA Cube Mixed Reef (Build Stage)

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2017, 09:46 PM   #4941
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfordQC View Post
Orcus,

What is the height of your lights off the water now that you added T5?

Thanks


About 14Ē



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2017, 09:50 AM   #4942
dxdoan
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 32
hi all,
I just purchased a used AI Hydra 26 HD
I would like to connect it through the web so that I can upload profiles from other reefers.
It says that "Device with serial number XXXXXXX is already registered."
If I contact the previous owner can they de-register to allow me to add? Or will it stay on their account which will require me to ask for their user name and password? (ask them to change their password of course).
Thanks guys!


__________________
Phil

Current Tank Info: Cade HL1500 (5FT) - 160G/650L
dxdoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2017, 10:22 AM   #4943
d0ughb0y
Registered Member
 
d0ughb0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: sf bay area
Posts: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdoan View Post
hi all,
I just purchased a used AI Hydra 26 HD
I would like to connect it through the web so that I can upload profiles from other reefers.
It says that "Device with serial number XXXXXXX is already registered."
If I contact the previous owner can they de-register to allow me to add? Or will it stay on their account which will require me to ask for their user name and password? (ask them to change their password of course).
Thanks guys!
you have to ask the previous owner to remove the device from his myAI account.


d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2017, 02:34 PM   #4944
SGT_DAO
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
I've acquired a Prime (Non HD) and currently running a Hydra 26 (Non HD). Not sure if this question has been asked, but I plan on using the Prime for my fuge (Overkill....I know) so is there a way to run opposite photoperiods or would have to get another director?


SGT_DAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2017, 03:56 PM   #4945
qfrisco
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dallas, TX Area
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_DAO View Post
I've acquired a Prime (Non HD) and currently running a Hydra 26 (Non HD). Not sure if this question has been asked, but I plan on using the Prime for my fuge (Overkill....I know) so is there a way to run opposite photoperiods or would have to get another director?

I'm about to install a Vega over my refugium, so no, I don't think using a Prime for your fuge is overkill. :-)

I believe the only way to have your Prime run on a different schedule from your Hydra 26 is to setup a separate tank within your Director. I have a second tank setup within my Director called Refugium and have discovered the Vega for that tank. You can then setup a schedule that is opposite your display tank's schedule. The Director supports multiple tanks so no need to get another Director.


qfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2017, 07:01 PM   #4946
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdoan View Post
hi all,
I just purchased a used AI Hydra 26 HD
I would like to connect it through the web so that I can upload profiles from other reefers.
It says that "Device with serial number XXXXXXX is already registered."
If I contact the previous owner can they de-register to allow me to add? Or will it stay on their account which will require me to ask for their user name and password? (ask them to change their password of course).
Thanks guys!


Can call AI as well I had them switch a second hand light I bought on the forums last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2017, 07:07 PM   #4947
SGT_DAO
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Thanks Frisco!


SGT_DAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2017, 02:19 PM   #4948
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 293
So I changed from an ledzeal Zeus unit to a hydra 26 hd today and the disco effect on the wall behind my tank and the roof above it is horrendous. What's that all about? The light is 8" above the water line on a 2ft cube. The surface water isn't still but it's not rippling like crazy either as I have a single vortech mp10 for my anemone cube.


Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2017, 08:25 PM   #4949
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member
 
Orcus Varuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfer View Post
So I changed from an ledzeal Zeus unit to a hydra 26 hd today and the disco effect on the wall behind my tank and the roof above it is horrendous. What's that all about? The light is 8" above the water line on a 2ft cube. The surface water isn't still but it's not rippling like crazy either as I have a single vortech mp10 for my anemone cube.

Raise the light up to 12-14Ē above the water line. It greatly reduces the disco effect while still retaining decent shimmer.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2017, 11:10 PM   #4950
BAR reject hehe
Registered Member.
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 50
anybody running the David Saxby light schedule with peaks and dips throughout the day?


BAR reject hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.