Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2019, 05:43 AM   #1
adamsfour
Registered Member

Help Red Slime

I have had a small breakout of red algae for a while. It mostly concentrated on the Rock and I believe in the low flow areas. It doesn’t seem to be getting worse but it’s certainly not going away. I am continuing to remove the pockets as they appear. I would prefer to solve with out using Chemiclean but thinking lately I should just use Chemiclean and be done. What is everyone recommendation. Thanks all for the help

adamsfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 06:32 AM   #2
Sa6hir
Registered Member

Water change and siphon!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sa6hir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 06:33 AM   #3
Sa6hir
Registered Member

Followed by 2-3 days black out. What I did was siphon then blackout siphon again then black out sorted my problem out

Sa6hir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Krchfam
Registered Member

I used chemiclean and haven’t dealt with it since. Tried to deal with it but could never get a head of it. My fish were in QT at the time though.

Krchfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 06:52 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Siphon/3 days lights out or Chemiclean.. Your choice ..both are typically a good plan of attack

Unread 01/01/2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfour View Post
I have had a small breakout of red algae for a while. It mostly concentrated on the Rock and I believe in the low flow areas. It doesn’t seem to be getting worse but it’s certainly not going away. I am continuing to remove the pockets as they appear. I would prefer to solve with out using Chemiclean but thinking lately I should just use Chemiclean and be done. What is everyone recommendation. Thanks all for the help
How old is the tank?
Does it have a refuge & if so do you have a sizable ball of Cheato in it to absorb excess nutrients or other algae types in it?

Lighting & water flow is all that is probably left unless overfeeding or high bio load is the issue, in most cases it will clear up on its own..... IF the underlying issue is addressed.

I had a pretty bad case of red Cyano in my reef tank for several months that was giving me fits of what to do & adding a sizable pc of Cheato algae stabilized my tank very quickly in just a week or so & i didn't have to resort to chemicals in the end luckly as i really didn't want to add anything that would/may/might effect pods or any slow growth beneficial bacteria or anything else.
The natural way i prefer leaving chemicals as a last resort after all other attempts have been tried first since Cyano is a natural growth that is out competing something else better what is the question usually.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Fragmented 99
Registered Member

Have had success in the past with Special Blend and Vibrant

Fragmented 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2020, 10:51 PM   #8
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I like a good combo punch. First you need to get obsessive level manual removal to wear it down, like every other day for a week. Then hit it with chemiclean AND a 3-4 day blackout. Wrap the tank so no light gets in. After that, manually remove any remnants of it and follow up with a large water change.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2020, 11:23 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmented 99 View Post
Have had success in the past with Special Blend and Vibrant
Products specifically intended to target the cyanobacteria (antibiotics like red slime remover/chemiclean) are typically better at addressing the issue vs products intended to create/fuel bacteria (bacterial strains/carbon sources like Special Blend/Vibrant).

They can be helpful though to some extent and some people do have positive results with them but really aren't intended nor really marketed specifically towards Cyano like the others are.