Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2018, 12:14 PM   #26
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

My incoming pressure is 70psi, temp is 63.3
Maybe that helps you judge against yours...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 12:20 PM   #27
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
My incoming pressure is 70psi, temp is 63.3
Maybe that helps you judge against yours...
Your pressure is fine, but the temp is a bit lower than ideal. There really isn't anything you can do about that. Besides that really shouldn't affect the final product. It will just cause your resin to exhaust faster.

My last thought is that it could be that the resin is getting old. I know the unit is new to you, but if the manufacturer filled the canisters in advance and then the unit sat in their warehouse a while, it could already be somewhat depleted. The resin starts to deplete as soon as it is exposed to air. This is a bit of a long shot, but could be an part of the problem.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you solve this, but I am out of ideas. Maybe someone else will chime in some other thoughts.

Unread 08/15/2018, 01:41 PM   #28
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
Your pressure is fine, but the temp is a bit lower than ideal. There really isn't anything you can do about that. Besides that really shouldn't affect the final product. It will just cause your resin to exhaust faster.

My last thought is that it could be that the resin is getting old. I know the unit is new to you, but if the manufacturer filled the canisters in advance and then the unit sat in their warehouse a while, it could already be somewhat depleted. The resin starts to deplete as soon as it is exposed to air. This is a bit of a long shot, but could be an part of the problem.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you solve this, but I am out of ideas. Maybe someone else will chime in some other thoughts.
No sure what the pressure is but yes it has a booster pump fitted and it comes out at a reasonable speed compared to some I've seen.

The Di was in a sealed bag and I had to fill the canister myself. I checked on line and the ro membrane should givery a 97% rejection rate.

It's summer here and most days for about 2 months it's been 20 plus c.

I've been running the unit again tonight and it dropped to 2ppm.

Unread 08/16/2018, 08:13 AM   #29
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Just an update if anyone is interested.

I have spoken with the manufacturer and they are sending me out new di resin and ro membrane as they agreed my rejection rate is low.

Unread 08/16/2018, 10:01 AM   #30
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Can you measure the product to waste ratio? Do you know you have the right flow restrictor and it's installed correctly? Do you have any "complications" in your drain or product lines? (ie are they really long, kinked, connected to something that may introduce a restriction, etc.)?

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 11:36 AM   #31
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

There is a metre or so of extra flow in line that I have wound up. And a metre or so of extra line wound up on the waste line. I've put the small ball valve just before the t connection for the tds probe of the water going in line.

Unread 08/16/2018, 11:40 AM   #32
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d0d0uocud...83656.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc3rba6n6y...83700.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icdwfjhni8...83709.jpg?dl=0

Unread 08/16/2018, 11:50 AM   #33
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

If I use the little ball valve to restrict the flow in it mess with the pump cutting it in and out.