Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2009, 07:51 PM   #1
wickedfish
Moved On

red cyano

How do i get rid of it. Is there any lifestock that would feed of it. Name some. I have tried to scrape it off. Its just a major almost lost my mind "B" rearranging the l.r in the 120 gallon tank. Feed every other day.

wickedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Bigshow
Registered Member

Chemi Clean works but you need to 25 % water change about a day after you use it.

Bigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2009, 08:25 PM   #3
nikon187
Registered Member

It is caused by one of 3 things or a combo of them. Lighting , nutrients, water flow.. Once you figure out which one it is it should clear up in time.. Meanwhile syphon out as much as possible, shorten your photoperiod, possibly add a phosban reactor.You are going to be hard pressed trying to find something that eats it.

nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2009, 08:26 PM   #4
nikon187
Registered Member

chemi clean only covers up the problem.. A band aid at most, given 3-4 weeks and it will come back if the conditions are there for it to grow. Plus chemi clean is a chemical solution.

nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Flipper62
Premium Member

+1 on scrap the chemi clean idea. Its just more chemicals, plus if you dont change anything its just going to come right back.

CyanoBacteria wont grow where there is good water movement. You need to to a water change but right before you syphon the water, puff the cyano off with a turkey baster to get it off the rocks & floating then suck it out with the water change.

Then you need to add a few powerheads in the tank to get the water moving all around the tank.

Here is a good artical on cyano.

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm

If todays automobile had followed the same development as the computer, A Rolls Royce would cost $100.00. It would get a million miles per gallon, but it would explode once a year killing everyone inside."

Current Tanks... 90 gal Reef... My awesome Office BioCube....( 180 was on hold ..no time ) ... The 180 gal has been sold...Yay..yay..yay.
Hobby Experience: 19 years Reef...22 years FW
Flipper62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2009, 01:49 AM   #6
wickedfish
Moved On

O.K is there algae that is red. Because it wont scrape off. Ill post a pic up. I used a toothbrush. Not a turkey baster. Is red algae good or bad. Also is having cyano in your tank bad as in the water or bad as in just the look. Whats are the downs for having cyano.

Unread 10/15/2009, 06:39 AM   #7
smwreefgirl
Registered Member

I've been battling with red cyno for months and months. Started pulling it out manually every other day, weekly water changes 10-20% added carbon/phosphate remover in back chamber none of those things helped with the cyno.

New things I've now tried and haven't had any cyno for a week!!!! Bought a new skimmer, put new lights in as I've read old lighting can contribute to cyno new white and actinic (another plus my new actinic lights I put in have a much more vivid purple color than my old ones did),

I did chemi clean red slime remover, and did a 50% water change 48 hours after. I have now had no cyno for a week. I understand what people say about chemi clean being sort of bandaid not fixing root of the problem. That's why I"m also trying new lights, skimmer, bigger water changes, etc. But I have to admit finally for the first time since I've had my tank I've really been able to admire it this last week:-)

smwreefgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 08:00 AM   #8
spw4949
Registered Member.

Thought these were interesting:

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.co...%3d63%23I+9087

Current Tank Info: 46 gal bowfront, mixed reef, 2x250W current outer orbit w/4x39W T5 ,10 gal fuge....38 gallon aggressive FOWLR, 10 gallon sump.
spw4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Nanz
Premium Member

If you use the chemi clean the cyano will come back and so will diatoms because chemi clean is an antibiotic and will kill the bacteria but also the beneficial bacteria which will then restart another cycle in your tank.

I have tried many ways to get rid of cyano and the best by far is this stuff called ZeoZym. This stuff takes about 3-4 weeks to work but it will starve the cyano to death while not killing your beneficial bacteria. I put ZeoZym in my tank once a week after a water change and its done wonders to my tank.

I believe the water movement method works but you always seem to have a dead spot somewhere. I have between 50-60x turnover in my tank which is insane for water movement and cyano still thrived. So water movement helps but still will not kill the cyano.

Cyano is bad for your tank because it will smother and kill corals. Don't let it begin to spread.

Nuvo 30, Razor Nano LED, Tunze ATO, Tunze 9004 skimmer, Vortec mp10,

Last edited by Nanz; 10/15/2009 at 11:25 AM.
Nanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 11:38 AM   #10
nattarbox
Registered Member

I have cyano growing directly in the path of a Vortech MP-20, so water flow alone is not going to solve your problem. I'm assuming my continued struggles with it are related to nutrients.

nattarbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

best way to defeat it is to ensure you replace the water with top quality water and also turkey baste the cyano every night, get a tiny net in the tank and scoop up as much as you can after basting it, every time you water change try to siphon it up as well, eventually it will go as the water quality improves.

theres lots of noise about flow getting rid of cyano, that alone wont help. its very hard to rid a tank of it and can take several weeks of water changes and siphoning.

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 01:24 PM   #12
wickedfish
Moved On

Thanks, i will try every method written on this page. I guess invest extra hours now and more $$$. When, you think you know it all and all is good. Its not. hahaha.

Unread 10/18/2009, 02:34 PM   #13
smwreefgirl
Registered Member

Sorry to what do you call it??? hijack the thread??? but I'm also having issues so thought this would be a good place. 1 week after chemiclean red slime away dose and no cyno still, it's looking much better, but yep I do have some brown algae(diatoms?) growing on the sandbed now. My rocks and corals are looking better than ever though (colors are much more vivid than before, maybe due to my new lighting?)

Now if I could just get this sandbed under control!!! I'll do some research on that zeozyme. Saw something on another post somewhere about ultralife, anyone tried that to rid of cyno?? Are those better options than the chemiclean?? I'm a little afraid of using more chemiclean. Maybe my cyno won't come back and I won't have to worry about it.... but from the sound of it, it probably will.

In the meantime...... ideas on getting rid of diatoms now???? :-)

Unread 10/18/2009, 02:42 PM   #14
clayw
Moved On

i disagree with a few statements above, i once used chemiclean for a bad red cyno problem, my parameters were all in check spot on each day, lighting was 8-10 hours, normal. and i had plenty of flow yet it continued to come back stronger and stronger. chemiclean knocked it out very quick and its been 9 months since and i have seen nothing of it again.

clayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2009, 09:17 PM   #15
nemeth27
Registered Member

I have an interesting one. I believe I have red cyno but it seems to develop in the am right before my first set of lights come on. Then once the 2 out out 6 T5s comes on it really starts to spread on the sand. Then when the other 4 lights go on it slowly goes away and before the last two lights go out you can't see it any more. I was vodka dosing, but I stop 3-4 weeks ago and I've been dosing MB7 @ high nutrient levels ever since.

Any ideas?

nemeth27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2009, 10:57 PM   #16
ryanb91
Registered Member

I wouldnt use chemiclean I nuked about 5 fish with it

ryanb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2009, 05:57 AM   #17
smwreefgirl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayw View Post
i disagree with a few statements above, i once used chemiclean for a bad red cyno problem, my parameters were all in check spot on each day, lighting was 8-10 hours, normal. and i had plenty of flow yet it continued to come back stronger and stronger. chemiclean knocked it out very quick and its been 9 months since and i have seen nothing of it again.
thanks, that's promising.....

It seems people have such varying success/feelings about chemiclean. I was against it or any chemicals per say until I just got so frustrated nothing else was working I was about to throw in the towel:-) so I decided to give it a try. So far I've killed nothing off and my cyno is still gone. I had some brown algae develop at the sandbottom but pulled it out and haven't seen new grow back yet. We'll see.....

Unread 10/20/2009, 09:54 AM   #18
monkeybiz
Registered Member

I'm not sure about chemiclean but I used chemipure elite and it worked wonders. It made my water crystal clear and never had a cyano out break while the other tank i had with out chemipure elite did have an outbreak of cyano

monkeybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2009, 05:09 PM   #19
addictedtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwreefgirl View Post
thanks, that's promising.....

It seems people have such varying success/feelings about chemiclean. I was against it or any chemicals per say until I just got so frustrated nothing else was working I was about to throw in the towel:-) so I decided to give it a try. So far I've killed nothing off and my cyno is still gone. I had some brown algae develop at the sandbottom but pulled it out and haven't seen new grow back yet. We'll see.....
I have also used this many times with NO problems, the only thing you do have to watch is the PH (it tends to drop .2 or so after dosing) It will not make you have to cycle your tank again.

addictedtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2009, 02:17 AM   #20
swannyson7
Registered Member

Although I resorted to chemi-clean once when I set up a tank years ago, that is only a temporary solution. Without finding the source of the problem, it will keep coming back. Most likely, the cyano is thriving from not enough flow and too much phosphate. I'd try to increase your flow with extra powerheads, siphon out as much as you can, and cut down your feeding to reduce the phosphates. You may also benefit from a phosban reactor or phosphate sponge media if you're using a canister filter.

swannyson7 is offline   Reply With Quote