Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2019, 11:59 AM   #1
ucdcrew
Registered Member

Reef Octopus Skimmer Died

I bought a reef octopus Classic 150INT - 6" skimmer in 2014 (a guess). Its been making a bunch of noise recently, the pump just stopped. Right now, its in a sump on a 65g tank - but it doesn't really fit all that well in the sump with its 12" footprint. It was also super loud, and I can't remember if it has always been that way.

Does anyone else have a RO skimmer that is quiet? I could hear this one from the second story in my house. I'm thinking of getting a skimmer that fits a bit better in that sump anyhow - and then possibly replacing the pump on the RO if its worth it. Has anyone tried the skimz dc skimmers, or any eshopps fans? The bioload on my 65 is super light if that makes a difference.

Current Tank Info: 25g nano, working on new 65g
ucdcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2019, 01:10 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I really like my Bubble Magus Curve 5..
Should work really well on a 65g tank..

Unread 02/06/2019, 02:47 PM   #3
ucdcrew
Registered Member

Is it quietish (I mean, it is a skimmer but my last one was pretty out of control)

Current Tank Info: 25g nano, working on new 65g
ucdcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 11:44 PM   #4
pecan2phat
Registered Member

The SkimZ DC pump skimmers are pretty quiet but a little work to dial in.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 05:33 AM   #5
cincyjim
Registered Member

I have a RO skimmer that is about 8 years old. I've never really noticed noise coming from of it... at least what I would think was excessive noise. I generally pull the skimmer once a year and give it a good cleaning. Have you tried taking the pump apart and cleaning it? The wheel on the skimmer can get clogged up with all sorts of stuff. Just a thought.

Jim

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 01:47 PM   #6
nly04
Registered Member

Do you want to sale your broken skimmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdcrew View Post
I bought a reef octopus Classic 150INT - 6" skimmer in 2014 (a guess). Its been making a bunch of noise recently, the pump just stopped. Right now, its in a sump on a 65g tank - but it doesn't really fit all that well in the sump with its 12" footprint. It was also super loud, and I can't remember if it has always been that way.

Does anyone else have a RO skimmer that is quiet? I could hear this one from the second story in my house. I'm thinking of getting a skimmer that fits a bit better in that sump anyhow - and then possibly replacing the pump on the RO if its worth it. Has anyone tried the skimz dc skimmers, or any eshopps fans? The bioload on my 65 is super light if that makes a difference.

nly04 is offline   Reply With Quote