Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/12/2014, 03:56 PM   #1
raastamon
Premium Member

Ramonski's welcome back to the hobby Solana 34g AIO!

I have not had a tank up since about 2008. Very excited to start another Nano tank. This will be for my gf and I and she is already thinking about a bigger build in the future! Glad she is on board!

This is basically a 34 Gallon Solana All-In-One system with stand and MH 150w lighting. I purchased it used for really great price and for the age, it was in tip top shape.

Plans currently will include...

Filtration:
Chamber 1- Tunze 9002 w/ airline mod and InTank collection cup. Eheim 100w heater

Chamber 2- InTank Media Basket with filter pad, purigen and chemipure. Above the basket i have an acrylic box used from the pkg of the GOPRO Hero Camera and this will house the dry side for MP10.

Chamber 3- Return pump, Top off (unsure which way to go at this time) and IM Minimax desktop reactor. Plan to run Vertex Biopellet.

Flow will be a single Vortech MP10 in the rear divider of the tank aiming towards the front.

Lighting: I plan to change out to LED's and am looking at the Maxpect Razor Nano or Kessil pendant.

Display/Livestock:
I have about 20lbs of Pukani dry Rock Not sure on the sand route yet!

Coral: I am plan to have SPS grow on the top end of the pillars and LPS toward the mid and low end. Zoo and Ric garden in the front. Torch, hammer/frogspawn on the sides of the pillar and maybe GSP towards the back wall of the tank.

Controller will be an RKL

Current Tank Info: Solana 34g, Tunze 9002 w/ airline mod and InTank cup, IM Minimax w/ Vertex BioPellet, Jaeger 100w heater, Tunze Osmolator 3152,Vortech MP10, Kessil A360we, Reefkeeper Lite
raastamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 09:12 PM   #2
raastamon
Premium Member

Rock was drilled, used plastic rods and epoxy for the scape.

Current Tank Info: Solana 34g, Tunze 9002 w/ airline mod and InTank cup, IM Minimax w/ Vertex BioPellet, Jaeger 100w heater, Tunze Osmolator 3152,Vortech MP10, Kessil A360we, Reefkeeper Lite
Unread 05/12/2014, 09:53 PM   #3
kidkams
Registered Member

Can't see the pics of the scape, but I'm looking forward to seeing them. I have a new to me Solana AIO and I love it so far.

kidkams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 10:38 PM   #4
raastamon
Premium Member

Sorry about that! Here yo go. Hope it works this time.

Unread 05/12/2014, 10:39 PM   #5
raastamon
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkams View Post
Can't see the pics of the scape, but I'm looking forward to seeing them. I have a new to me Solana AIO and I love it so far.
I would def be interested in seeing your build too. I hope I can documenting my progress and keep up with my thread. I will do my best.

Unread 05/13/2014, 08:47 AM   #6
raastamon
Premium Member

I am having trouble finding a spot in the rear chambers for the Minimax reactor. The most room is in the 3rd chamber but the water level will fluctuate as I dont have an ATO at the moment. I know the biopellet reactor should also be run next to the skimmer to remove the nutrients right away but there is just no room in that chamber.

Also, here are pics of the GOPRO acrylic box that I want to use to house the MP10 in against the rear divider. It would sit on top of the mediabasket but flush against the return baffle so it does not impede on the flow.

Unread 05/13/2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Hentz
Registered Member

I don't wanna be that person, but I had to put my Reactor in the back right hand corner of the DT. I couldn't for the life of me find a spot to put it

Unread 05/13/2014, 10:42 AM   #8
jdokos
Registered Member

Based on my experience I would advise against the Maxspect Nano. I had the 120W version (twice the power of the nano), and it was not enough for SPS over my 30g.

Unread 05/13/2014, 03:18 PM   #9
raastamon
Premium Member

Quote:
Based on my experience I would advise against the Maxspect Nano. I had the 120W version (twice the power of the nano), and it was not enough for SPS over my 30g.
WOW! Someon local has one and I have been meaning to check it out. He has pretty heavy sps load on a 20" cube and seems to be doing very well with it.

I am also looking into the Kessils as I have actualy seen them an tanks look quite nice under em.

Quote:
I don't wanna be that person, but I had to put my Reactor in the back right hand corner of the DT. I couldn't for the life of me find a spot to put it
I feel you man! I gotta make it work though! LOL

Unread 05/13/2014, 07:16 PM   #10
kidkams
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raastamon View Post
I would def be interested in seeing your build too. I hope I can documenting my progress and keep up with my thread. I will do my best.
I actually haven't posted my build... I have felt like the progress has been so stop and go for so long that I never got around to typing it up. Actually I did once but then it all deleted when I tried to post a pic so I said screw it. But I'm gonna try to throw something together tonight. But so its nothing special, I like to think it has potential, but its not there yet.

Also I am planning on getting a kessil for mine down the road. I think a kessil over a rimless tank will look really clean and nice

kidkams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 07:34 PM   #11
raastamon
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkams View Post
I actually haven't posted my build... I have felt like the progress has been so stop and go for so long that I never got around to typing it up. Actually I did once but then it all deleted when I tried to post a pic so I said screw it. But I'm gonna try to throw something together tonight. But so its nothing special, I like to think it has potential, but its not there yet.

Also I am planning on getting a kessil for mine down the road. I think a kessil over a rimless tank will look really clean and nice
Yea man. The kessils are nice! I'd like to get rid of the mini planet orbiting above my tank! That's pretty much the only thing I need. The rocks are cooking in a bin for a while before I start. Just to get rid of as much death off it I can. It's actually pretty clean though.

Unread 05/13/2014, 10:50 PM   #12
JJ650
Registered Member

Here is a Kessil A150 Ocean Blue over my Solana. I do like it, but it'll be replaced soon.

I have the same setup as you minus the bioreactor. I have actually been giving thought to ditching the chemipure and purigen and going with Chaeto and rubble rock.

JJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 10:53 PM   #13
ReefingWerewolf
Registered Member

Wish the Solana's where still in production, beautiful tanks!

ReefingWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2014, 01:07 AM   #14
theaquareef
Registered Member

Good job on the scape, pillars look great in solanas. They do still make solanas, they just don't make the all in one's anymore. I just purchased mine a few weeks ago

theaquareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2014, 06:05 PM   #15
ALH
Registered Member

I just put water in my old Solana AIO last month. Still cycling. I love that tank. I like your rock work.

ALH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2014, 10:00 PM   #16
raastamon
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ650 View Post
Here is a Kessil A150 Ocean Blue over my Solana. I do like it, but it'll be replaced soon.

I have the same setup as you minus the bioreactor. I have actually been giving thought to ditching the chemipure and purigen and going with Chaeto and rubble rock.
The more I see kessils on a solana, the more I want one on mine. They just look clean and minimalistic.

Unread 05/14/2014, 10:03 PM   #17
raastamon
Premium Member

Thanks guys! This rock work will def have some nice areas for swimmers, perchers, and bottom dwellers.

I am also going to be putting up black acrylic against the back wall. The textured back just seems hard to clean. I think the black acrylic will make the tank pop more. Pictures to come

Unread 05/14/2014, 10:07 PM   #18
raastamon
Premium Member

Here is the new back wall curing. Another thing I did was put black vinyl in the rear glass to lower the leak from the light.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.2 KB, 91 views)

Unread 05/15/2014, 04:29 AM   #19
KEEPonREEFING
Registered Member

Looking good raasta!

Current Tank Info: Sps reefer 170
KEEPonREEFING is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2014, 10:10 AM   #20
raastamon
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEPonREEFING View Post
Looking good raasta!
Thanks man. Just trying to catch up! The rocks are currently in a bin curing. I have the tunze 9002 in there along with another pump. In one day it was already pulling out some nasty!

Unread 05/15/2014, 10:17 AM   #21
raastamon
Premium Member

Here is the vinyl on the rear glass. If I wanted to go the fuge route in the 2nd chamber I can just cut the vinyl on that section to put a fuge light.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140515_121315.jpg (25.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20140515_121330.jpg (28.3 KB, 67 views)

Unread 05/16/2014, 11:43 AM   #22
raastamon
Premium Member

uploadfromtaptalk1400261924023.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400261953536.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400261988084.jpg
Just really want to keep posting pics even though there are no real updates. Trying to clean up inside of the stand. Intend to use the drawer to put the Controller and mp10 controller while the wires and power bars on the first shelf of the larger cabinet. The lower area will be for the ato reservoir.

Rocks are in a bin with a pump and 9002. Just keeping it in there until I am done done with everything and I will throw it in the tank with LS and begin cycling.

Unread 05/27/2014, 06:53 PM   #23
raastamon
Premium Member

Getting a lot closer to getting water in the tank. My substrate should be arriving this week. I went with the Tropic Eden Miniflakes. I really wanted to try the Reef Flakes but didnt want to wait for PA to restock. I have read a lot of good things about Tropic Eden so we'll see how that goes. My ATO came in and I am using the Tunze Osmolator Nano.

I also had a mishap with the rock scape.. one piece broke off as I was moving it and lifting it from a wrong side which put stress on part I epoxied/glued. Had to reattach the rock and made sure I was not stingy on the materials.

Unread 05/27/2014, 09:56 PM   #24
theaquareef
Registered Member

Glad your getting close! I'd love to hear your feedback when you get your TE miniflakes in, I also wanted the reef flakes but they have been out of stock for awhile. I got seaflor special and it was pretty dirty. I feel like I would have liked the reef flakes a lot more. Oh well.

I just did some scaping also. Once my sump is up and running on Thursday ill post some pics as its still pretty cloudy!

Hurry up and put some water in!

theaquareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2014, 11:03 AM   #25
raastamon
Premium Member

This weekend, my gf and sister went to the beach and she came back with a half a dozen of Olive Snails. I was like what are you doing with those? She said they are for the tank. We dont even have water in the tank yet, #1. #2 I dont want Olive Snails in the tank but I also want her to show more interest of the tank and this is the first step she has ever taken to show interest in setting it up instead of nagging about how much money I have spent. I set up a little QT for her Olive Snails and told her they wouldnt even be able to go in the tank for another month or so. She likes em a lot and they are nice looking but predatory so I am on the ropes.