Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2014, 10:01 AM   #1
AT_Hiker
Registered Member

Radion Gen 3 Pro Disco effect

I spent yesterday mounting my new gen 3 Pros over my 75 gal tank. I'm having problems getting EcoSmart Live to connect to the lights. I sent an email to support, so hopefully I'll have the fixed soon.

The one thing that I really noticed was that in basic mode I'm getting a crazy amount of Disco Ball effect on the sand. I have 2 lights 9" from the water. Is there anything I can do to reduce or eliminate the disco effect?

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. DT, 20 gal sump using Herbie overflow. Skimmer: SRO XP1000SSS. Return Pump: Eheim 1260. BRS dual reactor for GFO & GAC. Lights: 2 Ecotech XR30W Pro Gen 3, Powerheads: 2 Ecotech MP10s Controller: Neptune Apex Jr. Water: BRS 6 Stage RODI
AT_Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 10:04 AM   #2
bubblewood
Registered Member

Tagging along.... I have the same effect at 12" above the water. I have 2 of them mounted above my setup.

bubblewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Alex Y EcoTech
Registered Member

AT,

For best results with EcoSmart Live make sure you are using either Google Chrome or Safari as your web browser. Also, to reduce the "disco ball" effect I would recommend decreasing the amount of surface agitation you have the in aquarium.

Alex Y EcoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Eastamherstbias
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT_Hiker View Post
I spent yesterday mounting my new gen 3 Pros over my 75 gal tank. I'm having problems getting EcoSmart Live to connect to the lights. I sent an email to support, so hopefully I'll have the fixed soon.

The one thing that I really noticed was that in basic mode I'm getting a crazy amount of Disco Ball effect on the sand. I have 2 lights 9" from the water. Is there anything I can do to reduce or eliminate the disco effect?
What spectrum are you running where you experience it. I will try to recreate it. I have black sand so maybe it does not show up as much.

Unread 03/03/2014, 01:48 PM   #5
AT_Hiker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastamherstbias View Post
What spectrum are you running where you experience it. I will try to recreate it. I have black sand so maybe it does not show up as much.
I haven't been able to get connected to my lights using EcoSmart Live as of yet, so I'm currently using whatever the default spectrum is in basic mode. I have typically used a lot of surface agitation to insure good oxygen exchange. I currently have 2 powerheads at opposite ends of the tanks aimed at a slight angle to the surface.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. DT, 20 gal sump using Herbie overflow. Skimmer: SRO XP1000SSS. Return Pump: Eheim 1260. BRS dual reactor for GFO & GAC. Lights: 2 Ecotech XR30W Pro Gen 3, Powerheads: 2 Ecotech MP10s Controller: Neptune Apex Jr. Water: BRS 6 Stage RODI

Last edited by AT_Hiker; 03/03/2014 at 01:55 PM.
Unread 03/03/2014, 01:52 PM   #6
AT_Hiker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Y EcoTech View Post
AT,

For best results with EcoSmart Live make sure you are using either Google Chrome or Safari as your web browser. Also, to reduce the "disco ball" effect I would recommend decreasing the amount of surface agitation you have the in aquarium.
I'm using Chrome version 33.0.1750.117 m. Connection Manager shows that it's connected to EcoSmart Live and is also connected to the Radion, but I keep getting a pop-up message in a yellow box that says to make sure Connection Manager is running, and that the lights are connected.

Unread 03/03/2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Jswanson10
Registered Member

Actually, even tho u my not like it, u want that to be happening, that is full spectrum reaching the bottom of the tank, corals will be loving it! Reduce agitation and it'll go awy tho

Jswanson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Alex Y EcoTech
Registered Member

At_Hiker,

I would recommend temporarily disabling any anti-virus protection and trying again. If that does not resolve the issue, please call in today.

Alex Y EcoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 10:00 AM   #9
AT_Hiker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswanson10 View Post
Actually, even tho u my not like it, u want that to be happening, that is full spectrum reaching the bottom of the tank, corals will be loving it! Reduce agitation and it'll go awy tho
I've completely turned off my powerheads ( which absolutely flies in the face of proper oxygen exchange methods ), and it still looks like a wild night at a discotheque. These things are going to give me a seizure. I thought EcoTech wasn't supposed to have this problem.

Unread 03/04/2014, 08:51 PM   #10
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT_Hiker View Post
I've completely turned off my powerheads ( which absolutely flies in the face of proper oxygen exchange methods ), and it still looks like a wild night at a discotheque. These things are going to give me a seizure. I thought EcoTech wasn't supposed to have this problem.
I have 4 Radions on 2 different tanks and I can not figure out what you are talking about.
Could you be referring to the shimmer?

When I think disco ball effect, I think of individual colors spot lighting on the bottom.
Is that it?

Unread 03/04/2014, 09:57 PM   #11
kc350twin
Registered Member

I have zero disco. I do run the 20k spectrum though. I have heard people talk about slight disco with the lower kelvin ratings but it's really only slight. I do have the wide lenses.

Unread 03/05/2014, 12:03 PM   #12
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

I've had the Gen 2s now for almost 1.5 yrs, and run the radiant color profile... My lights are about 9" above the water on a 150G and as well have no clue what you're seeing in the disco effect.. The shimmer we get is awesome.

Unread 03/05/2014, 06:14 PM   #13
AT_Hiker
Registered Member

I've been trying to post a video, but I'm having trouble uploading from my phone. It is the classic colored dots dancing all over the sand bed.

Unread 03/05/2014, 06:20 PM   #14
Eastamherstbias
Registered Member

I would reduce surface tension and try a different spectrum.

Unread 03/05/2014, 10:18 PM   #15
ChadRaay86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastamherstbias View Post
I would reduce surface tension and try a different spectrum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswanson10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Y EcoTech View Post
AT,

I'd be careful with reducing surface agitiation as it is quite important in regards to gas exchange and nutrient export. I'd try turning down certain channels (i.e. red and green) and see if it improves. Personally, I like the shimmering effect I get from the surface agitation, I just calm down the colored channels, which are mainly for looks anyway

Current Tank: 300DD, Radion G3 Pro, Octopus Diablo DC-250, 2x MP-60, 2x MP-40, Full Apex, Korallin C4002 calcium reactor
ChadRaay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2014, 10:19 PM   #16
Eastamherstbias
Registered Member

I actually looking at my tank right now with lots of surface agitation and 50% 20k and I have no disco effect.

Unread 11/03/2015, 01:52 PM   #17
jkobel
Registered Member

I have had 2 gen 3's 8 inches above my 75 gallon for almost 2 years. Disco effect is moderate. I didn't like it at first and now i don't even see it. For the benefit I get with how my corals have grown I have never looked back.

jkobel is offline   Reply With Quote