Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2018, 08:14 PM   #176
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Your tank looks fantastic Dawn. A little life on the sand bed makes it look more realistic anyway. Glad the ponies are doing well!
Thanks Kevin. I am still planning to add blennies but haven't pulled the trigger because of the special care of QT them. It would be best to purchase all the fish at the same time and QT them all at once . With seahorses its complicated.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2018, 05:55 AM   #177
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Thanks Kevin. I am still planning to add blennies but haven't pulled the trigger because of the special care of QT them. It would be best to purchase all the fish at the same time and QT them all at once . With seahorses its complicated.
I understand completely. What species of blenny are you considering?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2018, 03:34 PM   #178
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I understand completely. What species of blenny are you considering?
I was going go back in this thread because you and Michael had given me some good suggestions of species that would be peaceful, quiet and not likely to rake the seahorses' delicate skin with algae teeth.

Unread 09/04/2018, 05:52 AM   #179
Chasmodes
Registered Member

So you don't have to search much, here are a few that might interest you:

The barnacle blennies that Michael kept would be a fun addition. They eat large plankton and pods, and are not algae eaters. He had the Panamic Barnacle Blenny, (Acanthemblemaria hancocki). If you get them, you'd have to get some barnacles for them

KP has some other ones that should be OK are the Goldline Blenny (Malacoctenus aurolineatus), Roughhead Blenny (Acanthemblemaria aspera), Yellowface Pike Blenny (Chaenopsis limbaughi), Sail Fin Blenny (Emblemaria pandionis), and the Saddled Blenny (Malacoctenus triangulatus). None of these are algae eaters and the largest is only about 3 1/2" long.

Be careful if you see a "sailfin blenny" in your LFS or while visiting an on-line store, because that name is used frequently for various species, including the large algae eating blennies such as the lawnmower blenny. The sail fin blenny above is much different.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump

Last edited by Chasmodes; 09/04/2018 at 06:20 AM.
Unread 09/04/2018, 04:38 PM   #180
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I do love the barnacle blennies! But I wonder if they are good tank mates for the horsies. My concern is their feeding mode. They dart out really fast and right back, so I worry they might be too quick, and out compete for food. They are great community members though, never bothering anyone. Clown/gumdrop gobies could be good. They aren't so fast. Also the pike blennies are cool, and slow.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 06:12 PM   #181
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
So you don't have to search much, here are a few that might interest you:

The barnacle blennies that Michael kept would be a fun addition. They eat large plankton and pods, and are not algae eaters. He had the Panamic Barnacle Blenny, (Acanthemblemaria hancocki). If you get them, you'd have to get some barnacles for them

KP has some other ones that should be OK are the Goldline Blenny (Malacoctenus aurolineatus), Roughhead Blenny (Acanthemblemaria aspera), Yellowface Pike Blenny (Chaenopsis limbaughi), Sail Fin Blenny (Emblemaria pandionis), and the Saddled Blenny (Malacoctenus triangulatus). None of these are algae eaters and the largest is only about 3 1/2" long.

Be careful if you see a "sailfin blenny" in your LFS or while visiting an on-line store, because that name is used frequently for various species, including the large algae eating blennies such as the lawnmower blenny. The sail fin blenny above is much different.
Thanks Kevin. Barnacle blennies are one of the species I was interested in. I have barnacles (not living ones) that I can easily add. Goldline blennies is another that I considered. I will check out the others also. Thank you for saving me the trouble of looking the info up in my thread.

Unread 09/04/2018, 06:24 PM   #182
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I do love the barnacle blennies! But I wonder if they are good tank mates for the horsies. My concern is their feeding mode. They dart out really fast and right back, so I worry they might be too quick, and out compete for food. They are great community members though, never bothering anyone. Clown/gumdrop gobies could be good. They aren't so fast. Also the pike blennies are cool, and slow.
I don't think their darting around at dinner time will bother the horsies. The ponies eat from their bowl (up high on the aquarium glass)so the barnacle blennies will eat from the wasted mysis that the ponies drop or spit out. I had a bridled blenny that did well that way.

Unread 09/04/2018, 07:39 PM   #183
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well then I highly recommend them! They are so cute it's hilarious!

Unread 09/05/2018, 05:59 AM   #184
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Well then I highly recommend them! They are so cute it's hilarious!
I bought a bunch of barnacles from beach stores, and later collected a bunch of fossilized ones, with the hope of setting up a species tank with a bunch of these guys. I don't know when I'll do it, but I guess it depends on how good a deal I can find on a used SW set up. Or, maybe I'll buy new and not inherit other peoples problems. Anyway, Michael's experiences with them plus watching them on YT vids really inspired me.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 09/08/2018, 08:57 AM   #185
vlangel
Registered Member

2018-09-07_08-41-55 by Dawn Gilson,
Its been awhile since I posted pics.

Last edited by vlangel; 09/08/2018 at 09:04 AM.
Unread 09/08/2018, 09:04 AM   #186
vlangel
Registered Member

I will try to post a pic from the side so you can see the DSB. Its about 6" or so.

2018-09-07_08-42-36 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Unread 09/08/2018, 09:12 AM   #187
vlangel
Registered Member

2018-09-07_08-41-27 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
See all the holes and crevices that blennies could occupy? Plus there is room for barnacles.

Unread 09/09/2018, 08:50 PM   #188
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Oh yeah, you've got plenty of holes for a few of them. Mine went all over the place. It was fun watching them try out new homes. I plan to keep them again. I've got some in QT!

Great pics Dawn!

Unread 09/10/2018, 07:01 AM   #189
vlangel
Registered Member

I ordered 4 blennies from live aquaria since KPAquatics did not have any right now. 2 panamic blennies, 1 linear and 1 black sailfin. Hopefully the sailfin is not a misjudgement on my part but it eats micro algae and the rock in my tank has some of that. I am excited about them.

Unread 09/11/2018, 09:35 AM   #190
vlangel
Registered Member

The blennies have landed! They were shipped last night from CA and arrived at my door this morning at 10 am in good shape looking healthy. I am quite pleased with LiveAquaria so far as this was my 1st ever order from them. If they seem disease free 2 weeks from now I will definitely consider them in the future.

They are in my 10 gallon QT now. It has rock with macro and micro algae for the the black sailfin blenny. Tonight I will shake out cheato from my fuge and add pods for the linear and barnacle blennies. Tomorrow I will try some hikari frozen mysis. I may need to shave it because the barnacle blennies are pretty little, just under an inch long. I have seen little blennies eat some pretty meaty food however, LOL.

Unread 09/11/2018, 12:45 PM   #191
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 09/11/2018, 01:32 PM   #192
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!!!
I will try to get some pics after they settle in a few days and I turn the lights on for them.

Unread 09/11/2018, 06:10 PM   #193
vlangel
Registered Member

As I am watching the blennies acclimate to the QT, I am realizing that the barnacle blennies are the right size for a seahorse snack! Uhhg, I guess that means they may be in the QT until they do some growing.

Unread 09/12/2018, 02:11 PM   #194
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
As I am watching the blennies acclimate to the QT, I am realizing that the barnacle blennies are the right size for a seahorse snack! Uhhg, I guess that means they may be in the QT until they do some growing.
Yeah, you may be right, and it's probably not worth the risk. But, barnacle blennies are very quick and might be too tough for your ponies to catch. What is the largest size food your seahorses will eat?

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 09/12/2018, 02:46 PM   #195
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, you may be right, and it's probably not worth the risk. But, barnacle blennies are very quick and might be too tough for your ponies to catch. What is the largest size food your seahorses will eat?
I have seen them eat guppy size fish. The smaller barnacle blenny is definitely at risk size wise. I see what you mean about how fast they are however. They are like lightening when they are feeding. I am wondering how I am ever gonna get them out of the QT to move them into the seahorse DT! Also sadly the Black Sailfin blenny was dead this morning. It never moved from its spot and was never lively like the others. I gave it a burial at sea before I realized that I should have taken a pic and tried to get a refund. None of the lfs around here offer refunds so I forgot LA did. O well.

Unread 09/13/2018, 02:03 PM   #196
vlangel
Registered Member

Hhmm, I might have a problem. Today I went to my lfs for frozen mysis and found out that they have redone the saltwater section. The tanks and fish looked great. I couldn't help myself, and I came home with 3 more blennies! 2 yelliwhead striped blennies and a blenny similar to the linear but more whitish gray. Those 2 are scuffling a bit but more bluff than fight. I expect in the much bigger seahorse DT they wont feel the need to be so territorial. Actually I am pleased how good all the new fish seem to be.

Unread 09/13/2018, 04:18 PM   #197
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the sailfin.

Give the blennies a lot of hiding places in DT, where they can establish territories. PVC pipe pieces work great, either with the end capped or not capped. Once they have a tube to hide in, their territories get smaller.

Your tank is amazing, and it will be also exciting and amazing once your blennies get in there

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 09/13/2018, 08:57 PM   #198
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow, Dawn, it sounds like you've gotten yourself a diverse new group of blennies! Those striped ones are beautiful! Best of luck with them!

Unread 09/14/2018, 06:29 AM   #199
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the sailfin.

Give the blennies a lot of hiding places in DT, where they can establish territories. PVC pipe pieces work great, either with the end capped or not capped. Once they have a tube to hide in, their territories get smaller.

Your tank is amazing, and it will be also exciting and amazing once your blennies get in there
I felt really sad about the sailfin blenny but I do not think it was anything that I did. All the other blennies are adjusting well.

I am noticing that the blennies are choosing holes in the rock to reside in. If they squabble over holes I will get pvc pipe for them to have more options. I did see some scratching so I will add prazipro today in hopes that will deal with it. If I have to, I will move to copper however.

It will be fun seeing them all in the seahorse tank when the time comes.

Unread 09/14/2018, 06:32 AM   #200
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow, Dawn, it sounds like you've gotten yourself a diverse new group of blennies! Those striped ones are beautiful! Best of luck with them!
Thanks! So far so good. The seahorse tank is definitely going to have lots of darting around and in and out of the retaining wall! That should be lots of fun to watch. Also it should lessen the chance of mysis getting trapped in the wall to fuel pathogenic bacteria. At least that is my thinking.