Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2017, 11:46 PM   #1
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Starting With Corals

So, tank has stabled out, inhabitants are healthy, and now I am looking at corals. Anybody got recommendations for corals that would do well in a ten gallon with LEDs? I like the look of frogspawn. Would I be able to keep it? Also wondering if there are any specific corals that a yellow watchmen/tiger pistol pair would enjoy? Thanks for your help!

shrimpinator123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 02:01 AM   #2
Reef Guy 04
Registered Member

What size tank do you have, how old is your setup, and what is your lighting setup? That will help determine what type of coral would be good for you to start with. It may be best to start with soft corals if you're new. They are a little easy to keep than LPS and SPS. And it won't hurt the wallet to bad if it dies.

Also, the goby and shrimp typically disappear into the substrate under your live rock. I got lucky with mine and they borrowed under my rock in the front of my tank. Rarely ever see the shrimp, but the goby is usually standing gaurd at the hole entrence. Haven't heard of them using coral as a host.

Reef Guy 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 04:44 AM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

Any euphyillia are pretty hearty to start with (hammer, frogspawn, octospawn, torch, etc), and can often be grouped together with no problems. The only exception to this rule is the torch. It needs to be all by itself with at least 6 inches of room around it(they pack quite the wallop, hence the name).

I would never tell someone to start with softies even though they are pretty bullet proof. The main issue I have with softies, most of them become very invasive rather fast.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 08:29 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

What specific lights? Brand and wattage?

Some would be bright enough for corals, and some wouldn't.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 09:41 AM   #5
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

The tank is a ten gallon, I have had fish in for a little bit over a month. Tank was originally started a couple of months ago. Not sure about the specifics on the lights, tank was sold as a kit. They were just labeled as "LED"s I will try to find some more information on that. Reef Guy 04, that is what I figured but thought I would check anyway. My pair must be social the, because they are almost always out.

Unread 11/22/2017, 09:47 AM   #6
crawlerman
Registered Member

Frogspawn would be a good choice. Just get a small/cheap one to make sure your lights are strong enough. If it thrives (keeps color and grows) then you can probably add any softies or LPS. If not then you can always get a better light or go with mushrooms. They will live and spread in any conditions. But be warned, mushrooms can take over.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 10:04 AM   #7
shrimpinator123
Registered Member

Ok, thanks!

Unread 11/22/2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Pond Boy
Registered Member

You may want to ponder upgrading your light. Those kit LED's are not the best for growing corals.

Current Tank Info: JBJ 12g
Pond Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, newbie