Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/05/2018, 06:56 AM   #1
Recci
Registered Member

Pavona coral seems to be receding or dying

I have a green pavona coral that seems to be dying back at the tips and base. The tips and base are turning white then looking to turn brown. I assume its dying from the tips? I also have montipora in the tank and they seem to be growing well so I cant understand why this pavona is dying.

Isn't it one of the hardiest corals going?

I also have a hammer, torch and duncan in the tank and some softies. The duncan has grown several new heads since being in the tank but I have not had much growth from the hammer or torch. My gsp is thriving however and several of the mushrooms have split.

I have noticed the last few days that the duncan and torch are not opening up properly and seem to be skulking a bit.

My params are as follows:

magnesium 1300
calcium 470
DKH 8.5
phosphate 0.03
nitrate 0 (no reading on a red sea pro kit)
ammonia 0
salinity 1.028
temp around 27°C

The tank is a red sea max nano with the AI prime light at 47% and set to full spectrum 12000k.

I realise that the salinity is a little high and so is the temperature and will bring them down. And also that my nitrates are to low. But my params have been like this a while and it has not caused any problems before. The only thing that has really changed is that I have brought the alkalinity down from around 11 to 8.5 over that last couple of weeks.

Before i got my dosing pump i was having large alk swings and it never caused this to happen so I can only assume that its starving due to lack of nitrates? the other coral are sucking it up before it gets any?

I have only been changing about 7 or 8 Litres of water every two weeks could this be a lack of trace elements?

I am open to suggestions here?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181031_145810815.jpg (77.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181017_220626331.jpg (68.9 KB, 34 views)
Recci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Whisperer
Registered Member

Isn't that merulina?

Current Tank Info: 120G reef, 30G sump, 10G QT tank
Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 08:17 PM   #3
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looks like pavona to me.
Maybe too much light?
In the photo, it’s the two brightest spots that are receding..
hard to say.
Is it new to the tank?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote