Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2018, 10:50 AM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

Torch Coral smaller from Splitting?

Have a torch coral that's been in the tank for about 3 months. Never had any issues with it and feed all LPS 1 or 2 times a week. The last few days it hasn't opened up as much. Not closed at all but just doesn't have its arms out as far. Looking closely at it, it seems it might be splitting, would this cause stress and make it not open as much? Nothing has changed, all levels the same.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Dsekula
Registered Member

Doesn't sound like splitting to me. When mine have all split it kind of looks like the heads are really full and overflowing the skeleton which they kind of are since the skeleton has two heads at that point. Sometimes euphyellia do just close up for a bit at random but if it's not reopen in a day I'd personally do a dip in what ever iodine type solution you use to rule out infection and do a wc to ensure something isn't stressing the coral.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Dsekula
Registered Member

Btw the thing I noticed most stresses my most picky pieces is a change in alk. Roughly above .5 in 24 hrs will start a brown jelly reaction in picky pieces ime.

Unread 12/03/2018, 02:20 PM   #4
steallife904
Registered Member

I will check it again but at the moment I have tested each day and everything has stayed the same. Did a water change on Thursday, will do another today or tomorrow. It is not closed up by any means... just not as big as normal. Do what I can and maybe its just doing something random for a bit. I have a couple coral dips I could try if needed.

Unread 12/03/2018, 02:22 PM   #5
steallife904
Registered Member

you no what... i added a new bag of carbon to the sump last week. Have not added any in awhile but had a starfish dyeing so added some charcoal just in case. Wonder if that did something??? Will pull it out today.

Unread 12/04/2018, 09:51 AM   #6
heritage
Registered Member

Hard to say without actually seeing it. Euphyllia in general can close up for any reason but that doesn't mean something is wrong. If it is splitting you will start to notice that the skeleton will start to look like a figure 8 as it splits.

Also there is no need to feed it directly it will do just fine without it.

heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 01:29 PM   #7
steallife904
Registered Member

came home yesterday and it was open like normal??? Then few hours later was smaller again, not closed just not as opened? Maybe just being weird at the moment?

Unread 12/04/2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Dsekula
Registered Member

There are so many things that effect our reefs that we either don't or can't measure it's hard to tell what's really the under lying cause it could just be acclimating to something. Even something undetectable or untested. They will also draw in or purge out more water as they need things from the water like nutrients, or more oxygen. Unless it's completely closed for a day or longer I'd just leave it and continue normal maintance.