Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2017, 11:46 AM   #1
mandarin417
Registered Member

Biotope for Gig questions...

I don't have the link anymore but I believe someone posted pics of their trip where they ran across gigs on a sandy bottom with lots of sea grasses and more back and forth flow rather than the direct powerhead flow that folks recommend.

I have an extra tank that I would like to setup as a Gig biotope and am looking for recommendations on sand to use, sand depth, rubble rock or larger pieces, grasses to include and so on. If someone can point me to a link I would sure appreciate it.

I was told to use a deep sand bed with sugar sand but that would result in a sandstorm if I directed a constant powerful stream of water at the nem.

Thanks,

Bob

mandarin417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 02:32 PM   #2
pfan151
Registered Member

Gigs don't live in the sand.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 07:04 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Gigs don't live in the sand.
Some of them do, they attache to something just at the sand-rock interface. If you have bright enough light, this would be OK.
This Green Gig of mine have 2/3 of his oral plate on the sand and 1/3 on the rock he attached to, right at the sand surface.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2017, 07:41 PM   #4
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Some of them do, they attache to something just at the sand-rock interface. If you have bright enough light, this would be OK.
This Green Gig of mine have 2/3 of his oral plate on the sand and 1/3 on the rock he attached to, right at the sand surface.

But they are still attatched to rock for the most part. Definitely don't require a deep sand bed as the OP was told.

Unread 07/16/2017, 09:10 PM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

They do not need sand. All of mine, 7 of them, attached to rock, only one at Sand Rock interface. The rest on rock structure.
They defiantly does not want or need straight PH point at them.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 07/16/2017, 09:11 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

https://youtu.be/ZcwnDDftvCg

I consider this near optimal flow.

Unread 07/17/2017, 01:00 PM   #7
mandarin417
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I do recall someone posting in recent months pics or a vid of trip they took where the gigs were in sandy substrate with lots of grasses around them. If anyone recalls who posted or can find that post, I would sure appreciate it.

Unread 07/17/2017, 01:53 PM   #8
slyseekr
Registered Member

Sentosa Island off of Singapore is well known for the carpet anemones in its shallow water. I think there was a famous Gig or two that had been captured in photos. May be worth a browse.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carp...ih=738#imgrc=_

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slyseekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 04:05 PM   #9
D-Nak
Registered Member

If you want to create a real biotope with sea grasses, then you will need a tank with a deep sand bed. Most sea grasses need at least 4" of sand in order to be able to root properly. Disturbing the roots will kill them.

My suggestion would be to create your rockscape and plant the sea grasses. Give them about 6 months to grow and develop a root system. At that point, you can add your gigs and then increase the flow.

The problem I've found is that without a deep sand bed and time for the grasses to grow and establish a root system, once the flow is cranked up for optimal conditions for gigs, the sand gets displaced, then grasses get dislodged and die.

Here's a video of my current gig tank:

(Ignore the black and white clownfish, I keep it to show people what flared gills look like.)

Unfortunately, I have to move my tank soon, otherwise I'd have turtle grass planted.

Unread 07/17/2017, 04:11 PM   #10
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarin417 View Post
Thanks guys. I do recall someone posting in recent months pics or a vid of trip they took where the gigs were in sandy substrate with lots of grasses around them. If anyone recalls who posted or can find that post, I would sure appreciate it.
It's not a video, but take a look at Wild Singapore. The site has tons of photos of gigs in the wild.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfac...a/gigantea.htm

Unread 07/18/2017, 01:02 PM   #11
mandarin417
Registered Member

Wow - breathtaking tank D-Nak! Thanks for the advice.

Unread 07/18/2017, 01:27 PM   #12
mandarin417
Registered Member

Does this look like a gig or haddoni in the sea grasses?

http://www.kudalaut.eu/en/dph/4030/P...le/Sea-anemone

Unread 07/18/2017, 01:37 PM   #13
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarin417 View Post
Does this look like a gig or haddoni in the sea grasses?

http://www.kudalaut.eu/en/dph/4030/P...le/Sea-anemone
Looks like haddoni to me.

Unread 07/18/2017, 03:20 PM   #14
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

check the 2:20 mark! incredible flow

Unread 07/19/2017, 01:24 AM   #15
richdragon32
Frugal Reefer

This is a video I took when I was snorkeling in Karimunjawa, Indonesia. Water debth was around 2-3ft so these anemones get blasted with lights. I'm sure the wave gets stronger during the tide change but this anemone is in good flow.

https://youtu.be/UZ_PQ0UNuxs

Current Tank Info: A lot.
richdragon32 is offline   Reply With Quote