Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2017, 10:50 AM   #1
malx
Registered Member

Wrasse Eye Condition

Hi, All.

I have a wrasse that looked like he banged his eye. I gave it a few days to clear up but it's still a bit cloudy and looks like it has a film on it. I won't be able to catch him to freshwater dip. He's been in the tank since Saturday and I noticed it on Sunday. He's eating really well so I gave him a few days but today I noticed he rubbed his eye on the wall of the tank like trying to get it off. What medication would you feed him just to be safe in case it's not like a type of scab?

Note I have an SPS tank so I'm looking for something that he can ingest that is reef safe? I'm thinking a combination of Focus with Metroplex or Polyguard? Here's a link to what Seachem offers: http://www.seachem.com/medications.php

Or possibly Dr. G's Cavier?

I've had this issue before with two other fish but it cleared up after a week or two. I want to be safe and pro-active.

Let me know!

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 07:24 PM   #2
JustinM
Registered Member

Was he QT'd? Treated for flukes by chance? Sounds like it may be a fluke on his eye.

If it was an eye infection, feeding metro will not help, he really needs to be removed from the DT and put in a QT and treated with erythromycin. I know this isn't the news you want to hear but there is no reef safe antibiotic besides when some meds are mixed with focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 07:41 PM   #3
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
Was he QT'd? Treated for flukes by chance? Sounds like it may be a fluke on his eye.

If it was an eye infection, feeding metro will not help, he really needs to be removed from the DT and put in a QT and treated with erythromycin. I know this isn't the news you want to hear but there is no reef safe antibiotic besides when some meds are mixed with focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone recommended to me to use Focus with General Cure from ATI. Going to try that for a few days. He wasn't treated for flukes.

Unread 09/13/2017, 08:02 PM   #4
JustinM
Registered Member

Can you watch his eye and see if the mark moves? Sometimes when infestations get real bad, their eyes will become cloudy. I'm willing to bet it's just flukes and treating with prazipro is fine with sps.

It isn't a bad idea to feed your fish the general cure/focus. That way you can at least eliminate intestinal parasites. I just don't think it'll do anything to help out the eye.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 08:40 PM   #5
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
Can you watch his eye and see if the mark moves? Sometimes when infestations get real bad, their eyes will become cloudy. I'm willing to bet it's just flukes and treating with prazipro is fine with sps.

It isn't a bad idea to feed your fish the general cure/focus. That way you can at least eliminate intestinal parasites. I just don't think it'll do anything to help out the eye.
Sure I'll take a look! Thanks! I'll also get Prazipro. Good thing is the wrasse is eating so should be easy to get food in him.

Unread 09/13/2017, 11:00 PM   #6
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Prazipro is great for treating most types of flukes and many people have used it in their main dt with no issues. But some wrasses are sensitive to it and don't handle it too well. If going to use it, maybe start with half the recommended dose and gradually increase it if it shows no signs of distress.
Also General cure has prazipro in it as one of the ingredients.

Current Tank Info: 300g

Last edited by lagatbezan; 09/13/2017 at 11:32 PM.
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 09:31 AM   #7
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
Prazipro is great for treating most types of flukes and many people have used it in their main dt with no issues. But some wrasses are sensitive to it and don't handle it too well. If going to use it, maybe start with half the recommended dose and gradually increase it if it shows no signs of distress.
Also General cure has prazipro in it as one of the ingredients.
Thanks for the tip. After 1 day of treating with Focus/General Cure I can see that his eye looks much better! I'm going to continue with this treatment for another 2 days, take a break, then go 3 days on again and assess from there how it looks.

Unread 09/14/2017, 06:55 PM   #8
Jdub968
Registered Member

If what your doing is working by all means stick to the treatment. But here's a second opinion usually if the eye is infected it will be swollen and the whole thing will be cloudy and erythromycin will treat it. If it is swollen Epsom salt will help relieve the swelling

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 05:56 PM   #9
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub968 View Post
If what your doing is working by all means stick to the treatment. But here's a second opinion usually if the eye is infected it will be swollen and the whole thing will be cloudy and erythromycin will treat it. If it is swollen Epsom salt will help relieve the swelling
Thanks for the tip. I always refer back to old threads so if I see this occur again I'll try that. So far so good with his eye, still no issues. I'm lucky he's a pig that probably helped.

Unread 09/25/2017, 06:19 PM   #10
Jdub968
Registered Member

👍🏼 glad to hear the wrasse is doing better

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote