Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2018, 09:03 PM   #1
sethd12
Registered Member

Bonded pairs a real thing?

Just curious everyone’s thoughts on the “bonded pairs” that liveaquaria lists often in their divers den. It is an intriguing topic, but not sure I believe the “bonded pair” compared to a male and female of the same species. Does anyone have any personal experience with any pairs from them?

Unread 02/24/2018, 09:30 AM   #2
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Certain fish do form bonded pairs. Others like wrasses form harems, and not an actual pair.

Pomacanthid angels for pairs, yet genicanthus form harems

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:12 AM   #3
sethd12
Registered Member

I was specifically looking at the bonded pair of crosshatch triggerfish on divers den.

Unread 02/24/2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Tripod1404
Registered Member

I think bonded pair only ensures two fish were kept together at their facility. This mostly ensures one is a male and the other is a female and they would most likely not fight when introduced to a new system. Even males and females can fight if they didn’t previously knew each other, bonded pairs prevent this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 12:01 PM   #5
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
I think bonded pair only ensures two fish were kept together at their facility. This mostly ensures one is a male and the other is a female and they would most likely not fight when introduced to a new system.
+1... Unlikely that these 'bonded pairs' had even seen each other in the ocean!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 12:42 PM   #6
alton
Registered Member

I picked up a bonded pair of Golden Angels a few years ago. They never paired liked I wished, but it was nice being able to watch two Golden’s in my tank. There never was any aggression between the two. The price I paid was the same as two individuals

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 05:31 PM   #7
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
+1... Unlikely that these 'bonded pairs' had even seen each other in the ocean!
No idea why but this made me giggle.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 09:34 AM   #8
sethd12
Registered Member

The crosshatch bonded pair seems a little on the pricey side, but would consider if truly a “pair”, but it seems my suspicion of this sales tactic was correct.

Unread 02/25/2018, 12:40 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

What a bunch of cynics ......

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 02:47 PM   #10
sethd12
Registered Member

ca1ore, do you have any insights on bonded pairs? The idea of bonded pairs for my tank is quite interesting if something that is doable.

Unread 02/25/2018, 05:06 PM   #11
mitch91175
Premium Member

There are greater chances of putting 2 fish together that have established male/female regardless of if they came from the same source, or the ocean together. Think about how clown fish bond. I know a guy that get "bonded" pairs all the time.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 08:31 PM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch91175 View Post
There are greater chances of putting 2 fish together that have established male/female regardless of if they came from the same source, or the ocean together. Think about how clown fish bond. I know a guy that get "bonded" pairs all the time.
This is not true for all species.
Certain species yes but not all.
IMO, bonded pair means that they have the two together and they have not fish or cause significant injury to each other. Silly with certain species but a real help with other.
The buyer should know what she/he is buying. If a bonded pair of cleaner shrimp cost more than two individual cleaner shrimp, then it is the buyer's loss. I do not think in case like this, with DD, the bonded pair does not cost more than two individual cleaner shrimp.
I would gladly pay more for a bonded pair of Marine Betta. I cannot tell the sex apart. The last time I tried to get a pair, it cost me quite a bit and I also have to keep several for a long time before the fins healed and I can bring them back to the LFS at 1/2 price each time.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 08:32 PM   #13
mitch91175
Premium Member

Didn’t say it way true for all fish. I said greater chances.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 08:41 PM   #14
sethd12
Registered Member

The purchased a bonded pair of long nose hawkfish that were the same price as 2 hawkfish. As far as the crosshatch triggers, it seems a little steep for them but I haven't seen a regular price in a while.

Unread 02/26/2018, 10:02 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethd12 View Post
ca1ore, do you have any insights on bonded pairs? The idea of bonded pairs for my tank is quite interesting if something that is doable.
Oh, sorry, I was just being facetious. I do think it's doable in some cases, like Banggai cardinals or with dwarf Angels though.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 02/26/2018, 10:09 PM   #16
dustinc
Registered Member

I’ve purchased 2 bonded pairs from them recently.

1) Black Snowflake Occ Clowns (immediately paired up and have stayed together constantly since day one)

2) Yellow Line Goby (these two have chased each other around the tank since minute one and still do it today, about 3 months later)

Current Tank Info: 120 Planet
dustinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 05:39 AM   #17
humaguy
Premium Member

centropyrge angels live in haremic structures with one dominant male and multiple (2-4) females, thus, having only a pair often leads to brutal behavior between them and can be risky. Have a back-up plan if trying two.

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 06:04 AM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

I have not had any problem with two dwarf angels. My tanks are often larger tanks. Only small reef I keep is my QT 40 gal breeder which I often QT fish in, and my 65 gal reef in my office. I almost always have 2 angels in the 65 gal office reef. Two Flame angels in there right now.
However, humaguy have a lot more experiences with angels than I do. From his posts, he keep a lot more species, and more expensive species than I do.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 07:14 AM   #19
sethd12
Registered Member

Well I ordered a bonded pair of longnose hawkfish from DD on Friday for delivery today, but unfortunately received an email late last night saying the package was damaged prior to leaving. I am going to be hopeful and think that they just double sold the item. On the bright side I have a pair of crosshatch triggers coming tomorrow so we shall see how they turn out.

Unread 02/27/2018, 08:50 AM   #20
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Did you get the pair that were on DD?

Unread 02/27/2018, 08:51 AM   #21
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
centropyrge angels live in haremic structures with one dominant male and multiple (2-4) females, thus, having only a pair often leads to brutal behavior between them and can be risky. Have a back-up plan if trying two.
Actually, that's a good point. Years ago, when I had more than one flame, I bought a group that was one male and three females. They did well for quite a long time.

Unread 02/27/2018, 10:04 AM   #22
sethd12
Registered Member

I didn’t. I was able to find a local pair at a much more reasonable price, without the “bonded” in their title. Here’s to hoping they pair up just fine.

Unread 02/27/2018, 10:21 AM   #23
FiveGallonSea
Registered Member

Next time call and ask what exactly they mean. For the most part they can give you a good answer.

FiveGallonSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 10:56 AM   #24
running scott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethd12 View Post
Well I ordered a bonded pair of longnose hawkfish from DD on Friday for delivery today, but unfortunately received an email late last night saying the package was damaged prior to leaving. I am going to be hopeful and think that they just double sold the item. On the bright side I have a pair of crosshatch triggers coming tomorrow so we shall see how they turn out.

I bought two longnose hawkfish from separate tanks in the same store, at the same time. They paired immediately. Almost always together. I believe I read that they are social hermaphrodites. One of them changes sex to make a pairing. I’m sure someone that knows more than me can explain it better.

running scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 11:11 AM   #25
sethd12
Registered Member

That would be great, as plan to keep most, if not all species in either a pair or harem.