Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 11:25 AM   #1
h2obaby
Registered Member

Controller of choice

I am looking for a controller that will notify me of any tank problems. I am building a 900 gal coral propagation tank and would like to know what would be the best controller too keep me informed on what’s happening when I can’t be there.
Thank you
H2obaby

Current Tank Info: 14sw 1 fw range from 10 gal to my new 300g
h2obaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 11:45 AM   #2
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Pretty much your only choice is apex

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 02:58 PM   #3
RCS82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
Pretty much your only choice is apex
A Profilux 4 wouldn't work?

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 03:18 PM   #4
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS82 View Post
A Profilux 4 wouldn't work?
Not until they get their web sever ice updated.

Unread 03/21/2018, 03:57 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatjac View Post
Not until they get their web sever ice updated.
The web service has no bearing on notifications as that is handled via the controller itself and sent out via the network. MyGHL will tell you pretty much everything you want to know. Their new phone app is pretty slick too. While MyGHL isn’t Fusion, there are constant improvements being made on the GHL side and from what I understand, they are in the process of migrating to a full web based interface which will replace GCC. Personally, since I run both controllers, it’s my opinion that you can’t go wrong with either. GHL has rock solid hardware and the Apex is also a great controller.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 04:03 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Reef Angel is another reef controller capable of remote notifications..

There are also other solutions depending on exactly what you want to do so providing specifics may yield better results..
Many of the home automation hubs and devices could be used.. smartthings hub + sensors/outlets,etc... as well as other non-reef specific control/monitoring solutions..

Unread 03/21/2018, 04:23 PM   #7
h2obaby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
The web service has no bearing on notifications as that is handled via the controller itself and sent out via the network. MyGHL will tell you pretty much everything you want to know. Their new phone app is pretty slick too. While MyGHL isn’t Fusion, there are constant improvements being made on the GHL side and from what I understand, they are in the process of migrating to a full web based interface which will replace GCC. Personally, since I run both controllers, it’s my opinion that you can’t go wrong with either. GHL has rock solid hardware and the Apex is also a great controller.
GHL and GCC??? Iam sorry I am not sure what these are.

Unread 03/21/2018, 04:34 PM   #8
h2obaby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
ReefAngel is another reef controller capable of remote notifications..

There are also other solutions depending on exactly what you want to do so providing specifics may yield better results..
Many of the home automation hubs and devices could be used.. smartthings hub + sensors/outlets,etc... as well as other non-reef specific control/monitoring solutions..
Mainly I think I would like to know how my water parameters are along with top off and dosing. I also would like to have pumps and lights all on the same controller. I was looking at the reef keeper plus but would like to get what is the best. I never had a controller on any of my tanks other than heat and chiller controls with lights on a timer.

Unread 03/21/2018, 08:05 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2obaby View Post
GHL and GCC??? Iam sorry I am not sure what these are.
GHL is a manufacture of controllers (Profilux), led fixtures (Mitras) and dosers. They have been in business for many years and have a long track record for building high quality products. GCC is their Windows based program. Also known as GHL Control Center (GCC). GHL also is a sponsor here on this forum and has a dedicated forum here.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 08:21 PM   #10
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Apex. Best out there. Investing the money it a prop system to grow coral and nit spending the money on an Apex controller is just crazy. The Apex is pricey but it will pay for itself in the long run. If you are just running a smaller system the a Reef Keeper would just the job just fine but on larger system Apex all the way. I do wish DA would step up their game and release a newer controller with both a display and wifi capable. The Archon is a step up from the RKE but is not up to Apex spec and DA support is really really bad.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:36 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2obaby View Post
Mainly I think I would like to know how my water parameters are along with top off and dosing. I also would like to have pumps and lights all on the same controller. I was looking at the reef keeper plus but would like to get what is the best. I never had a controller on any of my tanks other than heat and chiller controls with lights on a timer.
What parameters? Most parameters capable of being reported by todays controllers aren't super useful IMO.. Salinity shouldn't change so why even monitor it continually/remotely.. PH is well. PH. and many recommend not worrying about PH because its gonna be what its gonna be.. They are just now coming out with devices that supposedly monitor alk/cal and allow you to control dosing off that but in general consumption rates are pretty darn consistent and the cost of those devices is pretty high and not sure of their reliability,etc....

What about top off and dosing? It will do it for you but you mainly stated remote notifications in your first post being primary concern..

What happens when something does happen and you aren't/can't be there? Who is? IF not whats the point?
What are you expecting to happen?

I'd suggest you take the names given above and start going to their websites and investigating what they actual can/do and come up with a solid list of what you want to happen,etc... Then you can piece together everything you need/want,etc... and see if any of them actually are useful to what you want..