Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2010, 08:59 AM   #26
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

SWINGRRR,
I think the AVR programing language is C. RTC stands for real time clock. It is a hardware device attached to the IIC bus I think. The Arduino development package has function that will make those calls easier. Does this help? Or what do you want a sketch of?

TheFishMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2010, 09:05 AM   #27
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

FishMan, "sketch" is the Arduino term for program, FWIW.

SWINGRRR, once the hardware is here, my plan is to write a sketch that includes basic logic and a menu system to display on the LCD - in other words, it runs the device in a default mode, such that the ONLY thing an end user has to do to get basic LED control is build the device, upload the sketch, and then set basic parameters through the front end (i.e. buttons and LCD). In other words, you won't have to even know how the code works, or what an RTC does, etc. My plan for this interface is that for each channel of LEDs, you'll be able to set an ON time, an OFF time, a max intensity, and a fade "slope."

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2010, 09:16 AM   #28
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishMan65 View Post
SWINGRRR,
I think the AVR programing language is C. RTC stands for real time clock. It is a hardware device attached to the IIC bus I think. The Arduino development package has function that will make those calls easier. Does this help? Or what do you want a sketch of?
I know what it is, but making it work is another thing. I took vBasic in high school. I like all the IF, THENs. I understand the logic behind the sketches, its just getting it on paper. I guess if I had some actual trigger time with one it would help. Im ordering one now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
FishMan, "sketch" is the Arduino term for program, FWIW.

SWINGRRR, once the hardware is here, my plan is to write a sketch that includes basic logic and a menu system to display on the LCD - in other words, it runs the device in a default mode, such that the ONLY thing an end user has to do to get basic LED control is build the device, upload the sketch, and then set basic parameters through the front end (i.e. buttons and LCD). In other words, you won't have to even know how the code works, or what an RTC does, etc. My plan for this interface is that for each channel of LEDs, you'll be able to set an ON time, an OFF time, a max intensity, and a fade "slope."
That would be cool. Just plug and play numbers. I’m guessing kinda like mimicking the dosing programs of set-it dosers ala' Litermeter? Some kinda on board algorithm?

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2010, 09:20 AM   #29
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

More or less - except I've never used a Litermeter so I'm guessing.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 05/17/2010, 04:14 PM   #30
jmik26
Registered Member

No sleep for me tonight. Took about 5 minutes to get it up and running, 30 seconds to load the basic blinking led and git it working, and 2 minutes to configure a squad car light bar, LOL... Now I just have to research something more useful, like a single Cree XR-E for moonlighting.... Jeff

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (69.2 KB, 874 views)
jmik26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 07:22 PM   #31
jener8tionx
Registered Member

Here is my arduino project. It does more than just lights, it runs my whole tank in the most energy efficient way.
http://reefprojects.com

jener8tionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 08:15 PM   #32
jmik26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jener8tionx View Post
Here is my arduino project. It does more than just lights, it runs my whole tank in the most energy efficient way.
http://reefprojects.com
Man I feel so behind right now . I have been reading for the last 5 hours and im just getting confused. Im gonna wrap it up for the night and start tomorrow with basic examples from the arduino website and let my imagination take me away. I would be 100% happy with the arduino controlling my two ELN-60-48D's for dimming and weather conditions, 1 XR-E moonlight that dims, and 1 case fan. I have seen about 10 threads saying how easy it is but never a clear start to finish example. Hopefully some others in my shoes will chime in.... Jeff

Unread 05/18/2010, 07:54 AM   #33
wfournier
Registered Member

Very interesting, I've been thinking about something like this to integrate into some LED lights.

wfournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:04 AM   #34
DetroitReefer
Registered Member

I will be using an atmega328 along with a 7" 480X240 display for information. With the XRE on a meanwell 60-48P. I intend on using a photosensor to send a signal to the arduino. based on the strength of the signal from the photocell, The lights will ramp up.

I am a coder by training, so writing the arduino code won't be an issue.

DetroitReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:05 AM   #35
dwl
Registered Member

... can't wait for a BOM (shopping list) and the software available for download

dwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:20 AM   #36
terahz
1x10^12 Hz

DWZM, interesting idea, however I don't think it is worth it. Here is why:
Mouser parts: basic arduino(caps, resistors, resonators, sockets, headers etc) + rtc(with battery) will be around $20($30 with PSU) + shipping ($6.95)
Modern devices parts: AVR, LCD and programming cable/board: $28.50 + shipping ($7.90?)
PCB (assuming 10 ppl get together to do a group buy) - $2 + shipping (figure $1)
So total so far is $50.50+shipping or about $65. Add the PSU and you're looking at $75 just to gather the parts without a project box. And hopefully the person has all tools to do the soldering.

If you order an arduino board ( even the arduino nano 3.0 at $35 ), LCD and RTC parts from mouser + radioshack protoboard for the RTC, the cost will be the same, will give you the same functionality and will save many hours of work. With that option you don't need the programming cable either, just a plain USB one.

That being said I don't think an LCD is even needed. After you've configured the arduino, the only useful info on that LCD will be the time

Others might think differently, but for me it is not worth it to spend the extra time building a standard arduino, when a commercial arduinos cost $30 and come with the programming interface built in.

It might be more useful to put together some documentation how to build an RTC module, hook it to any arduino and provide the software to program and configure the controller once and forget about it.

THz

terahz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:24 AM   #37
DetroitReefer
Registered Member

My LCD will be for display of information. Temp and other various crap. Intention is to use latching relays to control the heaters/chiller, as well as a RTC to control the moonlights.

DetroitReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 11:17 AM   #38
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik26 View Post
I have seen about 10 threads saying how easy it is but never a clear start to finish example.
There is several sketches for lights in the Sketch thread. You just got to adapt it to exactly what you want.
Or ask questions and Im sure those in the know will help or point you in the right direction.

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 11:22 AM   #39
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terahz View Post
DWZM, interesting idea, however I don't think it is worth it. Here is why:
Good point. My approach to this was not just cost savings, but to make something really easy for people to throw together who just want to control LEDs.

Obviously when I started this post I was really excited. You're starting to temper that excitement.

Quote:
It might be more useful to put together some documentation how to build an RTC module, hook it to any arduino and provide the software to program and configure the controller once and forget about it.
THz
Good point there, as well.

So, let's hear it from the masses - assuming cost isn't the main issue, which would you rather do? Assemble and off the shelf Arduino with a well-documented external circuit (i.e. a "shield") that included the LED-specific functions, or build something custom like this from the ground up?

Unread 05/18/2010, 11:34 AM   #40
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

For the masses unless there is a significant saving I would say pre built. I realize the soldering is not hard (and I am not trying to put it any one down), but there is a lot of room for error. I follow enough threads to realize there seem to be some pretty basic question asked multiple times. If someone gets a bad board (wasn't that you terahz). or crosses shorts a trace a lot of people won't know where to start to fix the problem. Yes, they can get help here, but some of the issue will be really hard to track down. Just my $0.02.

TheFishMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 11:49 AM   #41
wfournier
Registered Member

Quote:
Good point. My approach to this was not just cost savings, but to make something really easy for people to throw together who just want to control LEDs.

Obviously when I started this post I was really excited. You're starting to temper that excitement.

Good point there, as well.

So, let's hear it from the masses - assuming cost isn't the main issue, which would you rather do? Assemble and off the shelf Arduino with a well-documented external circuit (i.e. a "shield") that included the LED-specific functions, or build something custom like this from the ground up?
Can you do both? from the sounds of it you already did much of the work that would go into a custom solution so if you are most of the way there on that why not finish that and then adapt it for an "off the shelf" version. My familiarity with Arduinos consists mostly of knowing that they exist so I may be wrong with my impression.

wfournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 12:06 PM   #42
terahz
1x10^12 Hz

Quote:
You're starting to temper that excitement.
Sorry about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishMan65 View Post
For the masses unless there is a significant saving I would say pre built. ... If someone gets a bad board (wasn't that you terahz). or crosses shorts a trace a lot of people won't know where to start to fix the problem...
Yes, that was me and I'm with you on this. For simple arduino, I just don't see the benefit. For projects like Hydra, I'm all over it

terahz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 01:29 PM   #43
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

All I want to do with this is ramp at least 2 and as many as 8 channels of LEDs on and off with the appropriate duration and at the appropriate time. I have everything else covered. For me until I have time to figure out the coding which I'm not sure I have a lot of use for otherwise a couple ready made sketches maybe including itermitant clouds would do anything I want. Some sort of over ride to manually turn on or off the lights would be useful as well.
Tim

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 02:06 PM   #44
FW fugitive
Registered Member

Quote:
As one of the masses - one who owns a soldering iron and can use Ohm's Law - I'd rather go for the former. I'd rather buy the controller, know that it works, and then build the shield. Maybe even add another one or two later for pH or other functions.

And let me state my appreciation for everyone here & the work & sharing.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon putrifying tank. I fought the BGA and the BGA won.
FW fugitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 03:34 PM   #45
icu2
Registered Member

I see the advantages of both. The tinker in me wants to have an understanding of what is going on and therefore be able to troubleshoot if neccessary if there are any malfunctions. I also see the advantage of having it mostly put together.

icu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 04:16 PM   #46
jmik26
Registered Member

Quote:
I am for buying the Arduino and constructing a well-documented external circuit. +1 on the appreciation for everyone here & the work & sharing.... Jeff

Unread 05/18/2010, 05:38 PM   #47
katchupoy
Moved On

I am like many people here at RC doesnt know anything about arduino, maybe Im just old school... But I can do DIY and solder....

What if?

1) Find the cheapest assembled arduino and use it for this project. I believe the cheapest i found is $16??? http://www.moderndevice.com/products/bbb-kit , mind you I dont even know what im pointing to? the difference between this $16 against the $30 or the $50 kits you can easily find on the net.

2) As the arduino will be the base, then maybe we can add the lighting control as a separate add-on module? and start this project from there?

3) and if we get lucky (for us beginners) then maybe we can add another function to control something?

You see, me reading the full blown controller on the other thread makes my limited knowledge to arduino feels like a head spin everytime i try to read it.

is this possible? still way out of $30 budget???

katchupoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 06:18 PM   #48
dwl
Registered Member

well, selfishly I would probably vote for the arduino board and the rtc, lcd and others...

option 2 basically.

It is not that I would not be willing to assemble the whole thing from the ground up, but more that I would not feel too comfortable with the troubleshooting mentioned above from shorts and such (which I would most likely be very good at creating, lol)

I will of course see what the consensus is and then decide.

Another THANK YOU to everyone here and the work and sharing

dwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 06:57 AM   #49
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchupoy View Post
1) Find the cheapest assembled arduino and use it for this project. I believe the cheapest i found is $16??? http://www.moderndevice.com/products/bbb-kit , mind you I dont even know what im pointing to? the difference between this $16 against the $30 or the $50 kits you can easily find on the net.
The main difference between the cheap clones (including the one I've designed for this effort) and a standard Duemilanove Arduino is that the cheap clones don't have USB hardware onboard, which means you need to spend another $10 - $15 to buy a programmer to upload your code. I'm so used to having a programmer onhand I foolishly overlooked this cost when I was throwing numbers around earlier in the thread.

It sounds like the general consensus here is "off the shelf." If this is the case, there are a variety of tools and projects out there already, maybe people don't know about them. The project jener8tionx posted above is a really good example. Not specifically designed as an LED controller, but it's built off a standard Arduino and includes a lot of reef-specific functionality.

Unread 05/19/2010, 07:46 AM   #50
joseney21
Premium Member

i'm in favor of whatever is more educational. i dont know much about the programming and circuitry aspect of this but would like a simple starting point to jump in. i also like the fact that it takes a very popular DIY project (led lighting) and ties it in with the controller DIY projects, i think many (of the inexperienced) will appreciate this and just haven't voiced their opinions yet (lurking or havent come across this thread).

Current Tank Info: 65g eheim pro 20k & 10k hqi and single ended hob refugium
joseney21 is offline   Reply With Quote