Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/06/2017, 07:55 PM   #1
ChameleonNYSea
Registered Member

Lettuce Sea Slug

My LFS recently got a shipment of these guys, and I think they look pretty cool. However, I can't find too much information about them online.

Any information available that you have in regard to the following points would be greatly appreciated. Or, just any experiences that you have had with them in general?

How many for a 75 gallon tank? (I heard about 2-4)
If they eventually consume all hair algae in my tank, can I feed them seaweed sheets or something?
Any predators, especially Wrasses or Skunk Cleaner Shrimp?
Will they fight with Snails/hermits?
Are they effective against bubble algae?
What is their ideal temperature?
Any damage to corals attributed to them? (I heard they were pretty reef safe)
When putting them in the tank, can I hold them up to a rock to minimize them getting blown around by pumps (I will most likely shut them off) or are they poisonous like many other nudibranchs?

ChameleonNYSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 06:10 PM   #2
ChameleonNYSea
Registered Member

Anyone have some information on these guys?

ChameleonNYSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 10:05 PM   #3
CPdude
Registered Member

I have heard of them before but never had one. But I do have a sea hare which is somewhat similar but more of a voracious algae eater. You can feed them some nori or seaweed sheets if algae runs out, but if they don't take well to the seaweed, might as well give away to someone with a hair algae issue or back to the lfs. Wrasses may harrass,injure or kill them, but it depends really, I have no problems with shrimps bothering any snail/slug creature. No they will not fight with hermits and snails. Not sure if they eat bubble algae and about their temps. Reef safe against corals, but beware there is some cases of sea hares and lettuce sea slugs crawling over big lps corals and anemones, and they are mistaken as food and may be eaten by the corals and nems. Just shut the pumps off, they will get a foothold by themselves. Sorry I couldnt be of much help, im saying this based on my experiences with a similar creature which is the sea hare.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk

CPdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 08:52 AM   #4
dendrite
Registered Member

I have tried many times to keep them. They are the best hair algae eaters I've run across, although I've never kept a sea hare. Fish,including wrasses never bothered them and I've had them lay whorls of eggs on the glass but in the end they all seem to end up in my filter sock or threaded by one or another pump. Live aquaria has them on sale this week and with a 99$ minimum for free shipping I may try again

dendrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 01:56 AM   #5
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Yeah, they don't "stick down" very well, so they can't stand much flow. I've put them in tanks before, but they always seem to disappear after a few days, never to be seen again.

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lettuce sea slug, nudibranchs, seaweed