Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2014, 05:51 AM   #1
platy
Registered Member

Just Getting Started - Before I Drill - Before I Buy

I posted a similar thread on the DIY forum but I realize my thread might be better placed in the NtTH forum since I am a newbie. My apologies to all.

I realize I'm gonna end up wasting 1 plane ticket on my mistakes setting this thing up but I'm trying to avoid wasting 2. Thanks for any help.

I have a standard Aqueon 125 gallon tank (72" l x 18" w x 24"h) on a standard stand about 30" high. It serves as a room divider or island displaying three sides. I wanted to drill the 4th short (18") side and set up a herbie. I have read everything I think I can find on drilling but I haven't come by any posts on the advisability of drilling the short side (18") of a tank. When I spoke to my LFS guy, he advised me against it.

My original plan...

Plan #1 was to use a 12" CPR Retrofit Overflow Box with two 1-1/2" bulkheads and one 1" bulkhead for the return. However, I am a little concerned that 3 holes (2 large ones) on the short side of the tank might be pushing it a little, i.e. I might be weakening the glass too much.

Thus,

Plan #2 was to go with two 1-1/2" bulkheads but not drill the return and just purchase a u-shaped return jet to hang on the tank.

But, after talking to LFS guy...

Plan #3 would it be better still to go with two 1" bulkheads and a hang-on u-shaped return jet? Would this be safer, i.e. weaken the tank less and still provide me with sufficient flow (5x or 6x) for the sump?

Would using a smaller 1" bulkhead also cut down on the possibility of creating an evil vortex in my overflow box giving rise to a constant flushing toilet in my living room? (my LFS guy scared me with this one.)

I realize if I drill big, I can always reduce the flow rate with a gate valve. However, I don't want to weaken the structural integrity of the tank more than I have to. That is, if a 1" bulkhead will do the job, why push my luck?

So...

Plan #4 suggested by Gorgok (thank you) on the DIY forum was to go with three bulkheads and do a beanaminal and an over the tank return. I liked his idea. My understanding of a beananimal is a super safe herbie - 1 siphon for flow, 1 trickle for your fine adjustments and 1 emergency just in case. However, drilling three 2" holes or three 2-1/2" holes on the short side the tank still makes me a little nervous - any second opinions?

Which leads to sump/refugium considerations. I am initially planning a FOWL tank until I figure out what I am doing but I do want to leave the option of adding coral later. Given this scenario, should I add a 30 gallon (36.3" x 12.7" x 16.8") sump which will allow me to add a 20 gallon high (24.3" x 12.5" x 16.8") refugium at a later date (if wanted/needed) or should I just go with a 40 gallon long (48.3" x 12.8" x 16.9") sump and worry about a refugium in a couple of years...

And finally, any advice on the return pump. I was looking at either the Eheim Compact 5000 (Output: 660-1321 GPH) or 3000 ( Output: 396-793 GPH)? I'm leaning toward the 5000 since I'll probably lose a lot of flow from the 5' rise from the floor of the sump to over the top of the tank. Does this seem like a reasonable choice?

Thanks for your thoughts and any advice...

-Michael

platy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

You're setting up a peninsula tank? Is the end going to be built into the wall, or is it freestanding?

Is it glass or acrylic?

A return pump for a 125---I used a 950 gph on a 55 gallon tank. I'd recommend much stronger.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2014, 10:44 AM   #3
platy
Registered Member

Thanks Sk8r.

The tank is glass. It will be freestanding.

So you would vote for Eheim Compact 5000 (Output: 660-1321 GPH)?

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

platy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beananimal, bulkhead herbie overflow, herbie overflow, return pump, sump and refugium